What's the Worst peice of equipment you've ever bought?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Scrubs, Nov 14, 2007.

1. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    I had a security module fail on an 07......out of warranty. They have to pull the entire dash to replace a $200 part, it's an 8 hour job so the bill was over $1k. It seems to be a rather common occurrence according to the service manager. I had a door that directs air to the dash vents break on a 2010 with 75,000 miles, again just out of warranty. They have to replace the entire center stack of the H/AC which necessates removal of most of the dash. Parts were $1600, labor another $600. Toyota did go ahead and eat the parts though.

They do run good with plenty of power. These were all 4X4 extended cab trucks. The ride quality is well below their domestic counterparts though. They don't offer a true limited differential, instead they use the antilock braking system. That's halfassed. You cannot turn off the electronic aids when driving conditions warrant, such as muddy dirt roads, even though they do have switches for that purpose. The beds and especially the tailgates are way too light. One of my employees made the mistake of setting a 100 lb gear box in the back of the 2010 Tundra and not closing the tailgate. When he hit a bump it bounced that gear box up and it landed in the middle of the open tailgate, buckling the thing.

I've never been a Ford guy, but I'm driving an F150 now and there's really no area where it isn't better than the Tundra.
  2. glanz

glanz XT500guy

Oddometer:
    Man I had so much fun with my pair of x-ray glasses! Yes they did not work but the girls did not know that! Had them running all over school away from me!
  3. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember once when we got a Hughes Probe-Eye infrared scanner at work and we did a secretary scan with it. Secretaries, remember those? It would certainly identify the hot ones.
  4. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:

+1:huh:huh
  5. threadkiller

threadkiller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Delorme PN-60.

The fucking thing is smarter than me. I hate it.
  6. mwood7800

mwood7800 Banned

Oddometer:
    Blondes
  7. ride4fun562

ride4fun562 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my a* gloves fell apart the day i bought them , too disgusted to even go return them so i stitched them up
  8. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    right on!
  9. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you get what you pay for!
  10. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl
  11. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Fieldsheer one piece rainsuit that left me with a wet crotch about 50% of the time. It took me a whole year to figure out that it was "user error". When I spent the extra 30 sec. to layer the storm flaps over the zipper properly, I was dry as a bone. When I unzipped for a whiz & jumped back on the bike with just a slap at the velcro, I'd have a scrotum puddle in 10 min. Some of the conflicting reviews of the same equipment are, I think, just this sort of dumb mistake. The more technical clothing gets, the more we need a learning curve to use it right.
  12. phillyrube

phillyrube Leading Chief

Oddometer:
    Ok, Black and Decker cordless weed whacker and yard blower. Interchangeable batteries, crapped out after 5 charges or so. Brought the entire mess back to Lowes.....

Dodge V10 engine

Ford diesels...not the 7.3, which is a rebadged International T444E. Our rescue squad has run all the Ford diesels and they are all junk, multiple problems. My F350 7.3 gets 18 mpg pulling a 12K toyhauler, and no problems.

Honda ST1300 thermostats...buy the bike and prepare to change the thermostat.

Cuisunart self grinding coffee maker. Kept burning up the grinder.

Lawn sweeprs with solid tires. Why don't thay make them with pneumatic tires. Try to pick up grass, go around a corner and wheels lock up. Lockup means no sweep.

Laz-E-Boy. Bought a nice loveseat, and the fabric kept unravelling. Their answer was to give us a shaver thingee to shave the little balls off the fabric. Absolutely no customer service. Bought a loveseat recliner from Costco that wears like iron.

Attic fans...I have to replace the motor every season. I have it down to a science, 15 minutes to change!

Roof helmets. No complaints, had to pitch mine after an accident 2 years ago and I have no contacts overseas to ship me a new one. And they are now selling the Desmo.

CC Radios.......overpriced and the displays crap out so you can't tune it well.
  13. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you meant to say literally anything made by Black and Decker. :lol3 That company is just pure garbage. I've never had a good experience with anything they've put their name on.
  14. firebrick

firebrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Formerly a good company but sold out about 10 years ago. My mom put in 20 years at their big plant in MD before they shut down.
  15. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:

:huh

Are you sure it's not you? :wink:
  16. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think I've ever owned anything made by them longer than 10 years ago, so all my experience with them has been quite poor.
  17. firebrick

firebrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Black and decker brand was the homeowner line and dewalt was the professional line. They sold the dewalt line to another company and I don't know where the b&d line is made anymore. Like many companies originally all USA made it is now an outsourced brand. Too bad.
  18. Slippy Chips

Slippy Chips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The tool tube. POJ just sits on the shelf and there's no easy way/place to mount it.
  19. aka Yamadog

aka Yamadog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought one of these:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARBON-FIBER-DIRT-BIKE-ATV-MOTOCROSS-HELMET-MX-GEAR-SMALL-MEDIUM-LARGE-XLARGE-/360524054936?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&var=&vxp=mtr&hash=item92b301fe6c

Here is my review for the FZ1OA Board:
    The helmet arrived via FEDEX this morning. Here is a fair review:
    This is the Best "Carbon Fiber" look helmet you can buy for $20. It's shell is abs plastic and the 'carbon fiber' is cheaper looking than I thought possible. It seems over sized and fits terribly. The D-Rings on the chin strap are overly thin material and poorly plated. I'll be taking this to the 1,000 yd range for demolition. Oh, it does come with a fake Tyvek helmet bag
  20. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    I must be lucky with waterproof gear, too. Recently rode from MI to TN, in a storm front the whole way. Not torrential rain but steady and windy too so it was hitting me from every angle, and I was in it for over 8 hours. Cheap Frogg Toggs pants and a Carhartt rain jacket kept my upper and lower bone dry. My boots, miraculously, also stayed dry. The only thing that soaked through was my gloves. Those, I'll grant. I have never had actual waterproof gloves.