6 week 10,000 mile NA Bonneville looptastic

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by shaweetz, Oct 6, 2010.

1. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    Thank you for the excellent RR. and the same to those who brought it back near the top.
    May I ask how you felt about the tiny windshield?
  2. Cheap Café Nihilist

Cheap Café Nihilist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report -- thanks! I'd like to hear about the fly screen, too.
  3. shaweetz

shaweetz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, last year I went out to Newfoundland for four weeks with the same setup, but no flyscreen, since I figured it wasn't doing much. I was wrong, and regretted leaving it behind. It reduces things, a bit, which after a day really adds up.

But make no mistake, you are out there in the wind and so is your helmet. Unless the air is calm, it is definitely work: in Newfoundland the air is not calm :D. But that is part of the cachet, no?

I loved both of these trips without a big screen, but I think the next big distance outing may find a more sensible touring screen up there. With some quick release for photos :evil. Or, a Tiger.
  4. pcarnut

pcarnut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After 45+ years of riding all sizes of bikes, I bought an 09 Bonneville SE to compliment my FJR. I flew to Oregon to buy it and rode it back 750 miles to Sacramento. The first couple of hours heading home I thought I'd made a big mistake but as the miles wore on I settled in and started enjoying to the lightness of the bike and the easy nature of its motor. I ended up having a terrific time getting to know my new bike. Now the FJR sits gathering dust. Seeing and reading about your epic ride is an inspiration. You have a great writing style, great wit, and as noted, the composition of your pictures is excellent. Well done! :clap:clap
  5. henryporter

henryporter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great trip report. Got me seriously thinking about bumping a 4 corners trip up to this spring. Looks like the 860 on a T100 is sufficient for this kind of travel.
  6. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:
    Yo!
    Just farting around on the web and low and behold I bump into this thread (again):clap
    Well I had no Garage party this year as my Russian beast found a new home...
    My SO wants to ride pillion..
    Guess what..
    Her fav was the Triumph...
    Looking at a T100 that I can tart up- My style and then King and Queen for two up.... Here we go again.
    I was looking Tiger 800 but..... Hmmmmm
    Keep in touch
    Glen
  7. motorjon68

motorjon68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread!
  8. McSchlinky

McSchlinky n00b

Oddometer:
    Great trip! Thanks for sharing :1drinkStories like this are the reason I am going to get a Bonnie or Scram this year. Hope to post one of mine up here one day:D
  9. 49honda

49honda n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing, looks like you had a great ride. Contemplating a cross country on my 2007 T100 and am trying to decide on panniers. I currently have the small Triumph bags and they are not nearly large enough. Do you have suggestions after your experiences? Thanks.
  10. DavidR8

DavidR8 Wanna-be ADV rider

Oddometer:
    I googled "touring on a Bonneville" and ran into this thread. Thanks Mike for the awesome story, photos and poignant ending.

You are right, life is not Hollywood. Life is life. Thank you for taking the time to remind me.