Dry duffel bag?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by fishhuntride, Jul 7, 2011.

1. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    I have the side opening Ortleib. It's been good.

[​IMG]

Tip if you are using this type of bag hard, especially with hard stuff inside, use some contact adhesive to glue a layer of something tough on the base where it sits on your rack so it doesn't rub through.

Cheers
    Clint
  2. DualMule

DualMule Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
  4. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:

:spam:spam:spam ALERT

I have a Cabela's regular size backpack for sale in the flea market http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870850&highlight=Cabelas

It's a great bag I just find I grab a duffle first
  5. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
  6. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    I have a big old heavy duty drybag I got used somewhere for $20. But I don't use it that much on the bike, mostly day trips where I pack all the luxuries.

More often I just use a big cordura duffle with a number of small Sealine drybags inside. A lot of stuff doesn't need a drybag so it packs loose in the duffel---tent poles and stakes, sleeping mat, tent footprint and fly, cooking pots, water bags, spare bungies and straps, rope, etc. Most food, clothing, sleeping bag and tent goes in the dry bags. I don't carry much in electronics. Phone in my pocket in a baggie. If I carry a camera it goes in a small pelican in the tank bag. First aid and Oh-Shit kit in another Pelican on the back on top. Micro Pelican for the smokes and meds. Little waist pack drybag (lot of my sea kayaking gear carries over) for the TP, matches and reading material. Firearms when carried are oiled and just stuffed in a tankbag pocket. Maps are waterproofed and in the tankbag.

Rain gear has it's own plain bag on the outside of everything.

Stuff I'm in and out of during the day is in the tankbag. It has a rain cover that works. If it don't fit I leave it home and don't miss it. I try to stay out of the duffel except to load food and water and then unload in camp. Low access.

I fitted some clothing and my towel with grommets so I can bungee them on top to dry. I have a mesh backpack for laundry and emergencies.

In general I try to have as many things serve multiple purposes as possible. Then I can carry less stuff. The mesh backpack I had to get new (from NRS I think) but it does a lot of things so it was worth the $$$.

I carry two or three sleeping bags, a lightweight synthetic fill, a fleece liner bag and a silk liner bag. All three together are almost the equal of my winter camping bag---and the three are very compact.

I used to have aluminum boxes and liked sitting on them in camp. Now I think I'll make some sort of rack that can turn into a chair. The chair is my big luxury next to a cooler.

Drybags often have a heavy duty garbage bag folded up in the bottom, depending on the trip. Insurance if I need it.