Norra 2013

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Strong Bad, Oct 7, 2012.

1. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Yeah it was an early 70s sc500 that Andrew was riding which had the problem last year. The sound of that beast struck terror in me when he fired it up. Have not heard if he is going to make another attempt at it this year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  2. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Is there a class for pre-1920 bikes? Roadbook nav of course!

[​IMG]
  3. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Love the modern tourances on the old bike.

If you race this you will prove to be even tougher than you already are for racing that harley hack. Go for it :wink:

But seriously.... are you considering racing the hog in the Mex1K? I still want to see that thing in action.
  4. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    No racing for me this time. The sidecar hasn't been touched since we did the first M1K. All kinds of things are still broken, or in need of replacement. And I can't just buy most of that stuff, I have to hand fabricate it. I won't have time to fix it over the coming months. I have to get the roadbooks all preped for this 2013 edition.
  5. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Baja dad finally sold his rookie season bike....Who would of thunk it ........:rofl
  6. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    If your not using it, I would , the original cannonball... Pre 1920 bikes only.

sure wish we could have a seeding super special out at lake of the devil the day before with a place for camping. It would bring a lot more spectators and allow campers/shoestringers pre run their camp set up so if they forgot anything they could go to walmart and it would allow some to get their cars/bikes sorted or shook down. This way there will be no bitching about start order from racers, it also gives us a little more racing since day 4 is a short one.

well I guess its time to pull out that 2012 day 4 roadbook... I plan to hopefully run a route next week or two with a couple I wrote on rally navagator. http://www.rallynavigator.com/
  7. roadracer

roadracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Soo, months of work on the 2013 roadbook. I like it! :evil

8. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Don't get your hopes up. From what I'm hearing, it looks like only an hour of NEW work for the 2013 roadbooks (might be a new intersection, or new stop sign somewhere along the way). Honoring The Past for sure, the other part maybe not so much. If you expect or want something more interesting or challenging, especially navigation wise, I suggest you write to NORRA and express your opinions about what you want the course and roadbooks to look like. They seem pretty happy with what it was last year, which is why I spend my free time doing Grand Rally and Diabolical roadbooks instead.
  9. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    I think long term I agree with you and your "Diabolical" plan.... will be really cool if you can build an event around that.
  10. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    I personally embrace the vintage aspect of the event and I hope that Honoring the Past is the prime reason for holding the event. This event is never going to have the navigational challenges everyone dreams about while watching the Dakar on TV. I've basically said this many times before, but here are only so many ways to get from Mexicalli to Cabo. Unless you just fell off of the turnip truck, more than likely you've raced those routes many times. Even SCORE has major problems finding routes going south. More and more private property and fenced off/gated access is the rule these days and the days of open access are long gone. Unfortunately, much of what is available in the North has been hacked up by the big SCORE vehicles and few people enjoy miles and miles of VW sized whoops.
  11. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Me too. The only place to go for vintage is NORRA, and they're doing a great job with it. But the "Forging The Future" part is a bit unclear to me. Maybe that's the rally part? But they are stopping short of a real cross-country rally.

There's a HUGE difference in navigation between the M1K and Dakar. At the moment, the M1K nav is so easy, many can do almost the whole course without a GPS or roadbook. There's plenty of opportunity for NORRA to make the nav a bit more more challenging without affecting the vintage aspect, even on existing roads. But they choose not to make even the most basic attempt to make it challenging. The roadbook seems to be just a cool book to keep as a momento of the race rather than the key to following the race course.

Those issues, plus the lack of challenging nav defines a nitch that I'd like to see filled, and that many others would like to see available too. So far NORRA doesn't seem interested in an event that would fill that nitch. I'll keep working on it (a separate event), and find a way to fill the nitch.

You're thinking "in the box". A good diabolical plan shreds the box.
  12. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in doing the Dakar. I'm just 300 training days, 30 travel days, and 100,000 dollars short, so I haven't done anything. But don't say I'm not interested! :evil

I'd say it's the same for the people at NORRA. I know they're interested, because I've talked about it with them. But going from interested to investing 1000 man-hours and $$$,$$$ to make it happen is a big step.

Cheers,
    Anders
  13. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    When I wrote "they" I guess I should have limited it to Mike P. I would have expected you would be in favor, as is Ken Cameron for sure. But Mike calls the shots, and for whatever reasons he's not allowing the course and tools (GPS) to change. I can understand preserving the formula that's working now for the M1K, but how about a second or third rally that is oriented towards difficult navigation? I talked at length with Mike about Diabolical, and he basically said he's not interested.

BTW, it doesn't cost anything to eliminate GPS, and it's quite easy to catch those who don't follow the roadbook. No special equipment nor manpower are needed to do that. Just a couple of carefully placed small course adjustments would do it. I had it all figured out last year, but couldn't sell the idea. That wouldn't be full-blown Dakar Rally style, but an easy to implement step in that direction that would not affect the vintage aspect at all.
  14. Johnnymoto

Johnnymoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amigos, Myself and a pal are running a DRZ400S in the Mex1K this year. We are out of Chicago, we ride Baja a couple weeks a year, and keep a garage in San Diego where we store our bikes/spares etc. The current plan is to ship my truck round trip to San Diego, but the quotes for that have been really steep, over $2000, and as such I figured I'd throw it out there to my fellow rallygoers. If anyone has room in their entourage for a co rider, a spare bike, and some spare kit, and that crew could drop that stuff off in San Diego post rally please let us know. We don't need the ride back from Cabo either, we'd just fly home from there. We aren't in a pinch here at all, I just figured that there could be someone with some room in their rig and that could use the dough to fund their race effort. We always try to keep the $$ in the family when possible. PM or email johnny@motoworkschicago.com if you have any interest. Take Care - Johnny
  15. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    PM Baja Dad
  16. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    some times the word "rally" is perceved differently.. I tend to belive Mike p belives it means a organized get together or making a run somewhere. Those on this site read the word rally and think the Dakar.. hopefully this rally can find a really good middle ground. Seems like they should have had a "suggestion box" on their webpage or some sort of open dialog like has kind of been done in the rules thread Anders started. speaking of, how bout a half day of moto only stage off piste? I am on the fence hearing that there will be no changes what so ever.
  17. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have talked to him a bunch the last few months and set him up with a bunch of parts.
    I am working on support for him now.
  18. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    Pearlman has already hinted at the partnering with CODE to do a multi-day event (Mexicalli-San Felepe-Ensenada) rally in September? Why aren't you on that "like white on rice"?
  19. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    It's more of the same. If they ask, I'll probably do roadbooks for that, but from what I hear, there's no plan for tough nav and they will allow GPS.
  20. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Well, bad news is I am officially out for the Mex1k this year. I got the opportunity to change jobs and go to a small startup company. The next couple of years are going to be crazy busy.

But, the good news is if the new company is successful I will end up with a lot more time and flexibility after a couple of years. That will give me the flexibility to go after my rally dreams.