Do you want street legal 2-strokes?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Seavoyage, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Seavoyage

Seavoyage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    San Francisco but mostly in Asia these days
    Take a stand! Support emissions compliant 2-stroke technology

The #1 Reason Manufacturers do not support 2-stroke development and do not import more 2-strokes into the US: Emissions.

Fuel Injected 2-Stroke! The Ossa EFI direct into the cylinder is a significant development: EU emissions compliant! [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/04/16...eturn-feature/

Support the Ossa initiative:

We really hope the new Ossa technology takes hold. Snowmobile manufacturers developed the 2-stroke technology to address high unburned hydrocarbon (UHC) emissions from carburated 2-strokes. The technology exists and is mature, and we hoped a mainstream European manufacturer like KTM/Husaberg/Husqvarna would take the initiative. Most of the European 2-stroke initiative is driven by the Trials manufacturers (GasGas, Sherco, Beta) that require light weight and torque. Emissions compliant 2-strokes would open a completely new alternative.

[/FONT]If these Ossa EFI models do well in the USA it may be a harbinger of a viable market and the other manufacturers may quickly follow suit. It's interesting that the same dynamics affected the outboard motor and the snowmobile industry.

There were three Ossa Explorers at the PITS event at Frank Raines OHV this weekend. Very cool. I had the chance to catch up briefly with Adrian Lewis of LewisportUSA He is the US importer for Ossa, and recently brought in and sold most of his Ossa Explorer inventory. General opinion on riding the new Ossa: felt narrower and lighter than the GasGas.

Shameless plug for LewisportUSA: Convince your local dealer to carry Ossa!

We discussed Adrian's plans to import the Ossa 300i. In essence, each US State requires a significant financial investment for the permits for a vehicle manufacturer to sell their vehicles in the specific state, and be appropriately emissions compliant. This is the limiting factor, not the availability of the technology or vehicle models. If Ossa or any other vehicle manufacturer can not realize a Return of Investment (ROI) on their efforts to import into a State or Country; the effort isn't profitable and not worth pursuing.

This is too cool: 2-stroke EFI running 120:1 premix ratios to meet EU emissions, but the key to the emissions compliance is fuel injection directly into the cylinder timed to enter the after exhaust port closure, most of the two-stroke emissions problem is solved. This is not feasible with carburetors.

Strong F1 influence: The engine cants backward, Intake is in front, exhaust is behind the engine (a la Cannondale 440) and isn't vulnerably exposed. Cartridge gearbox. Crankshaft and conrod accessible from side.

[​IMG]

Another area is using biodegrable 2-stroke oils such as Castrol BioLube
  2. bogieboy

bogieboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    :huh i already have one....LOL its street legal, and a smoker....

[​IMG]

:rofl:rofl:rofl
    Kiba likes this.
  3. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    I have a 600cc direct injected snowmobile that is absolutely brilliant, puts out 120 hp box stock, burns very little oil, gets awesome fuel mileage and starts 1st pull every time.

Cant wait to get my hands on this Ossa.... hope they import them into Canada. Anyone hear any hp specs on these?
  4. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Ummm the Ossa isn't direct fuel injection, but plain old Fuel injected.

Novel on a two stroke bike, and they used it instead of a carb because of fuel tank position or throttle body position from memory.
  5. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    It all sounds promising. I have heard rumors of injected 2-stokes (Evinrude, et. al.) and have wondered when we will see the technology applied to motorcycles. The new 4-stroke MX bikes are complicated - dual cams, 4 valves, blah, blah... yes, they run great but still pale in comparison to 2-strokes. I can pull the head and cylinder, and re-ring a 2-stoke before you can get your tools out to do a valve adjust on a 4-stroke.
    Kiba likes this.
  6. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    I was going to make a similar comment, as well as mention that is posted in a vintage forum.
    I do like the new Ossa's and suggest that the best way to support the technology, and company, is to buy one or more.
  7. Seavoyage

Seavoyage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    San Francisco but mostly in Asia these days
    Can you confirm the Ossa isn't direct injection? According to the article: http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/04/16/two-strokes-return-feature/ the Ossa is direct injection to the cylinder.

Where should this thread be posted? Advice?
  8. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    That article is wrong, the Ossa is plain old EFI and the use of EFI had nothing to do with lower emissions.

The Ossa web site does not mention DI at all, and one look at the head should tell you there is no injector there.
  9. SigPig

SigPig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just get the APT SmartCarb

Quick excerpt from their website.

"The SmartCarb possesses many novel features designed to provide for extremely fine atomization of fuel, precise air/fuel mixture control and altitude compensation.

Extremely high fuel atomization, much superior to atomization that EFI produces, is reached due to proprietary venturi features that are designed to compress and accelerate airflow through the venturi and past a precision ground fuel metering rod. The combination of accelerated airflow past the precision ground metering rod produces fuel droplets that are much smaller, meaning more highly atomized, than droplets produced through EFI and even other conventional carburetors.

High atomization means a much cleaner burn, resulting in lowered emissions, greater fuel economy and increased performance. By highly atomizing the fuel before it is combusted, the SmartCarb uses less fuel, more of the fuel is consumed instead of wasted, and smaller fuel droplets means more of the fuel’s potential energy is used which increases performance.

Altitude compensation is accomplished by maintaining a steady atmospheric pressure on the fuel in the float bowl, thereby generating uniform fuel flow and efficient mixing of the fuel with incoming air. A scoop located high in the venturi serves to provide air pressure to the fuel in the float bowl that is equal to the air pressure at the front of the venturi. This means that air pressures are continuously equalized between the venturi and the float bowl providing efficient mixing of fuel and air, regardless of altitude changes."

Some huge threads about this at the GasGas and KTM forums.
  10. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would think That if it were DI the injector would be in the lower end or transfer ports as it still has to push out the exhaust as the intake charge is incoming.
  11. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Didn't guy who ran the KTM150 in Dakar (Louis?) try one of those smart carbs but ditched it because of power loss?

I'll see if I can find the quote when I get home.
  12. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    But it wouldn’t be Direct Injection then would it? Isn’t DI, injecting fuel directly into the combustion chamber?:scratch
  13. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    DI outboards separate gas and oil. Gas is injected directly into the combustion chamber after all the ports are covered. Only oil is injected into bottom end air stream to lube the crankshaft. From what I have read about the Ossa the injector you see where the reed block would be is the oil injector and there is a second injector for gas in the cylinder. Since these things are unicorns and I have never actually laid eyes on one, I can't vouch for that. But that would mirror what I know about outboards.
  14. SigPig

SigPig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He had problems the first day and decided to remove the carb. He continued to have problems after the conventional carb was back on as well. Lots of problems throughout the remainder of the race. Finished though. Louis is indeed the man. :deal
  15. Frank from Quebec

Frank from Quebec Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is not Direct Injection yet, more like the SDI or Semi Direct Injection we first saw on snomobiles about 10 years ago...

Direct would look like this:

[​IMG]

I will wait for the real thing.
  16. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    I WANT ONE! I WANT ONE! :cry
  17. baloneyskin daddy

Oddometer:
    If no fuel enters the bottom end how is the oil carried throughout to lube the moving parts? I 've read of separately oiled sealed bearings for the outer crank bearings but what about rod, big,and little end, and cyl. walls.?
  18. bogieboy

bogieboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    oil gets injected via the throttle body, similar to the old oil injection setups, so i would assume that the gas tank would be just straight gas and not premix? just speculatin' on that though... this is coming from a guy with 2 oil injected street legal kawasaki smokers...LOL
  19. baloneyskin daddy

Oddometer:
    With nothing but air in the bottom end the oil would not get dispersed to the needed points and it would eventually keep building up . The fuel was used to deliver the oil and also carry it away on each stroke. thus the smoke. Is there some kind of oil less ring technology going on here?
  20. bogieboy

bogieboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    doesnt seem to be a real issue with my kawasaki...the fuel i straight gas, no oil, injection pump sends oil into the intake tract post carb, as well as sends some straight to the crank bearings...they have been doing it that way since the 60s, so i would assume it will work fine?