Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    You've just described me on my MTS :D

I've thought of selling mine for the same reason, the bike is addictive. As I use mine for a daily commute slog I do sometimes tire of its vibey eagerness. Something a little smoother and more relaxing might get me through the week easier :dunno
  2. Gorilla King

Gorilla King Dobar Skorz! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was a warm enough yesterday to take my new Multistrada S out on some roads that I am very familiar with.

This bike is "Tits".
  3. 3B43

3B43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought mine the end of August without a test ride....I 'knew' I didn't need to test ride it! Haven't ridden much the last two months due to weather, but took it put yesterday after a spring change. Yes, the bike has some issues, but for sheer FUN and putting a smile on your face, nothing I've ridden comes close.
  4. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    As an "early adopter" of the MTS1200S, I'd currently have 43,000 miles on the beast if I hadn't totalled the first one on hoarfrost in Colorado. Replaced it with the identical bike; just turned 30,000 miles.

I ride 20-25K miles/year, and my primary concern with the Multi was long-term reliability. So far it's been admirable, and neither bike gave me any serious problems in several cross-USA jaunts.

I've test-ridden just about everything (lookin' forward to the new GS), but so far nothing has fit me as well as the Multi 1200 (I'm a little guy: 5-8, 145). With the addition of the Tuneboy electronic cruise control (and of course real handguards, etc.), the bike is just about perfect for my needs as a long-distance tourer/backroad explorer. Apparently, unlike some others, I don't have a problem with "self-control." :rofl

Cheers,

--Doc
  5. Gorilla King

Oddometer:
    Both Edelwiess and Adriatic motor tours offer Ducati's in their tour packages. Since they lease bike for two years at a time I don't think they would do that if the Ducati's were mechanically problematic.
  6. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    GK,
    Lets hear more about your impressions of the bike.
  7. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    i've sold bikes for a variety of reasons, really fast ones too, but never because I couldn't control myself. the bike that you supposedly replaced the Mutlistrada with is capable of going fast as well, but yes, it's down horsepower to the Multi.

are you sure that's not an excuse for something else? c'mon, Sock....you really can't control your throttle hand?
  8. 3B43

3B43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've ridden alot of bikes and the MTS is by FAR, the most fun, sinfully fulfilling m/c ever! It's the perfect cross between an 'angel in white and the daughter of the devil himself' (with all due respect to The Eagles!!). I haven't ridden that much the last two months, due to the weather, but have put 6000 miles in 5 months and every time I ride her, I smile! Rode her today, testing my spring change, and just smiled and shook my head. I've done 425+ mile days without any issues for comfort (other then a possible seat change....Russell Day Long!!!) and ridden her faster I should in the twisties!! I can ride her faster, with less effort and easier, them my previous bike, a FZ1 with suspension upgrades.

What else an I say! I LOVE this bike!
  9. Gorilla King

Oddometer:
    I have over three hundred thousand miles on bikes and the Multistrada is the best handling bike I have ever ridden. It's virtually effortless in switch back hair pins which can become tedious at the end of a long day.

It is also the most technologically advanced bike I have owned. Took me a while just to set the clock. Still working through on all the setting for the suspension. Very very quick bike with good throttle response. I have no doubt I will ride like an aforementioned juvenile delinquent.

On negative side it is a bit of a thirsty beast. I have no idea what kind of millage I'm getting since I'm still breaking it in but I figure I will be stopping for gas every 150 miles or so when touring. Probably a good thing to get off and stretch more often at my age anyway.

A very fun bike to ride. A superlative bike or to use the previous colloquialism from my days in the car business over 25 years ago. This bike is just "tits." :deal
  10. Gorilla King

Oddometer:
    yes :lol3
  11. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    Fortunately, we're not all alike and we don't buy/sell bikes for the same reasons. :deal

Like I said, the bike is really easy to go fast on. Back road twisties w/ 35mph speed limits are EFFORTLESS at 60mph. I don't try to go 60, honest. I'm just having fun and the Italian temptress keeps egging me on. Go faster....lean a bit more. Ooohhhhh...that's the stuff. :lol3 Next thing I know, 60 (+). :evil

I've got a family at home that relies on me. I don't need to be going "fast" on a bike and do something stupid and put them in jeopardy. Maybe when I don't have those commitments I'll get another one. Until then, I'll stay off the "sport" bikes and stick with the adv tourers. They're way too much work to ride that fast. :lol3

Can I control my throttle hand? Sure I can.....I just don't want to when I'm on the Duc. :lobby

-SM
  12. Pampero

Pampero Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sensitive to bad seats, which is subjective of course, and one of my concerns when I got mine was that I was sure I'd have to get a seat. It looks cheap and flimsy and is really a rather tacky saddle (is that a pun?) considering the overall cost of this bike. In fact, it's hard to see how they could have made it cheaper.

Yesterday was an acceptable riding day here so I took off without a plan and ended up riding towards Mt. Ranier and back. I rode out my first tank of gas without stopping, also didn't do much high speed or hard acceleration so that ended up being about 195 miles straight. I was ready to get off, but really I didn't hurt anywhere. So I'm thinking the stock seat might do me for now, even though I would like something a bit more deluxe, as much to look at as anything else.

I was warm enough, it was quiet enough, and the bike never put a wheel wrong. At cruising speeds between 60 and eighty it is as smooth as you like, with just enough character from the motor to know you are riding something special. This was the first time in the several months I've owned the bike I felt assured that I could go the same kind of distances as I used to do on my GS. It will get that job done. The GS's stock seat sucked; the Duc's seat is actually better for me stock to stock than the BMW's ever was, but not as good of course as the custom seat I was compelled to put on the GS. The GS, which is what I keep going back to as comparison, has considerably better weather protection, and has the edge in outright comfort, but was never nearly as much fun to ride.

So as a tourer, I'm now convinced this bike works and fills the role. We all know how it works as a sports bike substitue, that was never really at question for me, and was cemented solidly when I got the springs replaced.

It's a brilliant ride. Now it has to hold up. I'm starting to gain increasing confidence in that as it gets better and looser in the right way. There are a lot of things I'd like to do for this bike, but none I really feel I have to do. It's a great package.
  13. oalvarez

Oddometer:
    not buying it :D

i owned a Stelvio, it didn't require all that much work.

a bike goes as fast or slow as you want it to. :deal

what else ya got? :lol3
  14. oalvarez

Oddometer:
    spot on sir...spot on. glad you're enjoying yours.

i may have something fun in the works, will share with you all tomorrow if it materializes. :1drink
  15. 3B43

3B43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like I posted earlier... I LOVE this bike. It is simply MAGIC! The problem is, it really tempts you to ride 'fast'! And 'fast' is easy!!! I've got a Gixxer. I sold a '08 FZ1 to buy the MTS. I've ridden everything from R1's to C14's to Tiger's to GS's to VStrom's to Z1000's (sorry, no Hog's!!) and this is simply the most sexy alluring 'super model' that is willing to drone on for 100's of miles AND be a 'sport' bike! Does it have issues? Hell yes....the wind screen sucks (semi-easy fix) and the fueling below 3500 SUCKS (not so easy fix), but as a total package....nothing comes close!

Fuel mileage: during my trip in the Sierra's I averaged 43. I've also 'averaged' below 30, but my right wrist was slightly sore during that stint! It's the ONLY bike I've ever owned that could be an 'angel' or the 'daughter of the devil himself'. How many m/c's an you say that about?
  16. oalvarez

Oddometer:
    give a pair of FatDucs a try....offered by Performance Blvd. buy the pair specific to the 2010-2012 model years if your bike is of that vintage. they take about 15 min. to install (plug and play). they do help.

add: with the stock exhaust, I'm not sure of their worthiness if you're running a kit with a dedicated ECU
  17. KHVol

KHVol Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Pampero

Pampero Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All ears, and more so the older I get (they grow!).
  19. 3B43

3B43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I installed the FatDucs and it did improve the fueling, but....lately the bike seemed to be back the way it felt prior to their installation. Why? I was told that the ECU is 'adaptive' and will read the resistance/change that the FatDucs cause and will change the fueling! The only way around this is a reflash, which I've read many mixed reviews. He said that 'his guy' on the east coast will reflash the ECU and I would LOVE the difference in the bike. I'm seriously thinking of installing the LV mid-pipe/can, adding 2 teeth to the rear and reflashing the ECU.
  20. oalvarez

Oddometer:
    3B43, is your bike a 2013 model? I'd never heard of the ECU being adaptive (2012<), interesting stuff.

Having an ECU matched to your exhaust kit is key....great idea.

Moving to different sprockets will more than likely to affect your mileage, you're probably aware of that.