The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    There's an 09' 250 XC-W for $3000. That's about what I'd like to spend. I'll have to call about it.

Might be a little tricky to get plated in NC, but I'd just 10 minutes from TN. I could borrow a TN buddy's address for a title, if I have to.

Saw a headlight kit for $37 on fleabay, and a cheap-o brakelight & switch shouldn't be too much. Add a beep-beep & it's street legal, right?

Can I still hang out on the 300 thread, or will I get picked on? :cry
  2. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Well, you could always put on a 300 jug & piston at the first rebuild. Until then, buy us enough beer & you can be an honary member.

Street legal requirements vary by state. What you mentioned is adequate for Colorado, but not Utah. No idea what NC requires.
  3. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    98 - 03 300 EXC is the exact same model, no???? 99 went from cable clutch to hydraulic....only difference I know of.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2
  4. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I just googled pics of 98 and 03,they dont really look the same at all,+ KTM was working harder year after year to get rid of the nagging jetting problems these things used to have. 04 was the year for bore and stroke change and a redesign of many parts.

Detail changes each year,suspension changes,I still think newer is better.
    The older the thing is the more chance its been run into the ground.

I had a 96 300EXC I loved to death and rode for 4 years,it weighed 250 lbs dry and I was always fixing something on it,but compared to what I had before,it worked great!
  5. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    I'm just saying when I order parts for mine, be it motor parts or wear items( I work on mine a lot too, and it is not running more than it is running), I always see the parts listed for 98-03, etc.
  6. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Putting a basic top end in a KTM 4 stroke isnt so bad,its more the issue with taking it further down the road and wearing out a crank or the head/trans or both and realizing it costs more to fix then the bike is now worth.
    2 friends have gone this route and once 1 realized he had over 20 grand in fixes that didnt take on his 525 it was sold for parts. He blew 1 engine to bits,bought another whole engine,it blew. Rebuilt it and couldnt trust it after that.

Just dont want to keep em TOO long,or ride em too much.
  7. halmc

halmc Turkey T*urd

Oddometer:
    Tallahassee, Florida -- home of good ideas
    Lots cheaper, but when you're all done putting bushings in the bike and brushes in the starter, it'll be good as new - - - which ain't good enough in most folks' opinion, especially mine. That extra 60 watts is more than worth the money. Czech out the post that notes KTM even added them 60 watts to the 250cc bikes.

That said, on a bright, cold morning, it's still best to add your right leg to those 410 watts for the initial startup.

I admit that I have more fun on my admittedly antique '99 two stroke. And it is pretty easy to face a rebuild on an RFS that rivals, or even passes the value of the bike. But when it comes to a 180 mile round trip ride to the gulf coast through the Apalachicola National Forest, with lots of logging roads and single track, that RFS is the tits. Maybe I'll just add an '12 or '13 300 to the garage. Don't have kids, but if I did, they'd already have PhD's by now. Or back in central lockup. Or both.

I vaguely remember thinking 40 was old. LOL!
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Nice bike Blake!
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I ride with a friend who has an '05 and it's a great bike, he just replaced the sparkplug this year for the first time :D and it gets ridden. There's differences of course but the older 300s are still very good bikes. The powerband can be adjusted like the newer models.

I don't consider the estart weight penalty to be a big issue, last time I bought a battery I got a Turntech which is pretty light so most of the estart's weight is now down low where it isn't as noticeable.
  10. SaharaJp99

SaharaJp99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an '05 and I love it. Once warm it starts 1st kick every time and 3rd kick when cold, like clockwork. With the auto clutch the no estart isn't a big deal to me as it never stalls. Maybe someday I'll upgrade to a newer one but I have mine set up exactly how I like it and it is my most favorite bike I have ever owned.
  11. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:

I am the other guy with the 05 300EXC. I bought this bike brand new in
    05. By far the best dirt bike I have owned to date. Upgraded the suspension, and gnarly pipe, new spark plug last year. :D

About to give it a make over this winter. Was thinking of getting a newer bike, but I have ridden (and owned) newer bikes and I can't say that the newer bikes would justify a $5000 + difference from my 300. If you like the bike, buy it and spend some money to get it sorted and ride that !!!!!.
  12. SteelJM1

SteelJM1 Former Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer:
    My 13 TE300 has been annoying me lately. Aside from the fact that i love the damn thing to death and it far surpasses my riding abilities but is gentle enough to not try to kill me for it. But the e start has been kaputt since 10 hours in (at 30 now) and it seems that my countershaft seal has been leaking this whole time. As far as i can tell, the bendix is what needs to be replaced, but i hesitate handig over the money for a replacement if it's just going to break again. How KTM managed to screw up a bendox design is beyond me. As far as the cs seal, i dunno. Probably should expect to replace this a lot eh?

Sent from my Tandy 1000 mobile using DOS
  13. halmc

halmc Turkey T*urd

Oddometer:
    A worthwhile read for you, I think: http://ktmtalk.com//index.php?showtopic=470619&hl=

I wrestled with the 350 watt starter on my friend's bike for a year, yada, yada, yada . . .

IMHO, KTM out of common decency, should have sent everyone with a magic button 300 a shiny new 410w starter. But then they should also send everyone with an orange bike a kick stand worthy of the name.
  14. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    It sucks your CS seal leaks,but a KTM CS seal is no different then any other,Ive replaced an average of 1 per KTM Ive owned,and Ive replaced one on a DRZ,same bushing with a seal. Sometimes they leak.
    Replace seal/bushing/o-ring and its about a half hour deal.

Its a dirtbike I work on it sometimes. If my e-starter breaks I'll fix that as well,Im hoping the 2014 lasts longer.

They DO have a 6 month warranty on KTM dirtbikes so if yours is new have the shop replace the seal/bendix.
  15. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    if you use that kickstand like its strong enough to lean on to kick the bike,it will break right then.
    Its a 1 lb alu kickstand. It will ONLY hold the bike up,nothing else.

Ive had 0 of them break on KTM's since 1996,broke a bolt on one once.
    You just dont stress them hard. I use a tree when possible.

If its a loaded for camping 530 a stronger kickstand is needed.
  16. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a 350 Six Days and rode it a bit yesterday. Holey smokes, this is a nice bike!
    As I get it broken in, I'll post up some comparisons to the 300- if you guys don't mind.
    I think a lot of us are wondering how much this bike crosses over with our 300s

No...... Not selling the 300. I'm planning on keeping it for the super knar. :D
  17. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:

:lurk
  18. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    These starters are a little fussy.

I always start with the battery and connections. Problems there will make you think it is in the bendix or starter.

Second is cleaning and lubing the starter drive gears. I seal the bottom vent and run a new vent up to the air box--much cleaner. Some put oil in the stator case. I have tried this but don't recommend it.

Other problems can occur with the bushings for the bendix, intermediate/crownwheel gear, bendix failures.

Finally there are starter failures. The pre 2013 starters are undersized. Brush and armature failures are common. I have had mixed success rebuilding. The 2013 starters are worth the extra $.

Slavens Racing carries all the parts. KTMTalk has lots to read on the subject.

FWIW
  19. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Sorry but we do mind :D

JK, congrats on the new bike :clap
  20. halmc

halmc Turkey T*urd

Oddometer:
    I don't buy KTM's to coddle 'em. The kickstand is pathetically out of keeping with the remainder of the brilliantly designed and executed machine; indeed, there are at least three aftermarket kickstands readily available for it. That sad fact doesn't speak especially convincingly to the stocker's adequacy; for that matter, neither does the considerable upgrade to the bikes that currently stand on show room floors. Without help.

In my view, KTM makes the best off-road bikes in the world; but that kickstand is like a pimple on Alizee's nose.

Yo, but to each his own.