What are your Winter plans?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by England-Kev, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Gham

Gham tritagonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    my winter wrenching probably won't start until January,right now I'm just ordering parts.First is valve cover gaskets,maybe new clutch plates and all new cables. I've owned my bike ( 82 Honda CB900F) for seven years and never replaced the cables or brake lines so now is a good time.Did the front forks and seat cover last year.Its never given me a moments trouble but the brakes are spongy and new pads aren't the answer.
  2. rudolf35

rudolf35 Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer:
    For most of our "winter" I will ride and enjoy the non-100+ F temps.

On the few days where there is a ice storm or slickness I plan to work on my 1971 CL350 project. The poor Honda has been in bits for the last three years and it is about time to get it together again. The $10,000 question is as what will it emerge? Stock is out since the mufflers are totally rotten.

[​IMG]
    1971 CL350

:clap
  3. manxkipper

manxkipper Fishpistel

Oddometer:
    Sad days for you guys. Our winter has gone - not that it is nasty anyway (8 degC min). I am able to ride all year round. So summer riding begins.

Busy with a resto on a Y13 BSA which is taking much cash and time.
  4. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    If I want to get anything at all done, I'm going to have to keep fighting the urge to snap up some of the great "end of season" deals on used bikes I keep seeing around here.
  5. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the posh ones with a heater that gets hot and real windscreen wipers then? Very flash!

I love landies. I learnt to drive in an RAF series 11 land rover. Chasing across an airfield to collect the glider tow lines. Great memories.
  6. vanislejay

vanislejay Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yup, plastic slightly padded dash, synchros in all forward gears, the definition of luxury. On top of that it's a deluxe so it's got the fancy seats with extra seams for falling apart, and the rounded front lip on the bonnet (ooh la la). As for the windshield wipers I'd almost prefer the old mechanical ones. Lucas pops in when you least expect him.
  7. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
  8. Rango

Rango Phaneropter

Oddometer:
    Let's see. I have charcoal sticks, gel handwarmers. It will be this then:

Riding, and then some more...

In between mounting acquired stuff: new crashbars, headlamp grill, sump guard, and replacing all foot rubbers.

Then, more riding. :deal
  9. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riding every day when the roads are snow free and the temperature is above about -10. Sadly this means about three days a month between December and March.

Rebuilding the calipers on my Water Buffalo and getting it stitched together for eventual sale.

Rigging up a multitude of semi-permanent camera mounts on the Eldorado so I can inflict yet more crappy videos of an old git taking an old bike to the middle of nowhere, on an unsuspecting public.

Fixing the wiring on the Guzzi 750S so that I can have both lights and ignition, not one or the other....

Nick
  10. rusty44

rusty44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ride, Baby, Ride....:D
  11. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:
    No mods planned on my T100

Plans to resurect my 79 Cm 185 with a newly found donour.

My real "plan" is to find an old outfit and ride the winter... Was hoping a Ural or Dnepr would turn up....
  12. tbird649

tbird649 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Witley MCC Long Distance Trial, last Sunday used nearly as much oil as petrol, so top end off, hopefully just rebore, valve guides etc, bottom end sounds OK, but who knows ?

?[​IMG]
  13. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ride.

Oh, I live in the mountains, but weather can be glorious one day and pretty henky the next.

Regardless of weather, I always try to ride New Years Day just to bring in the new year.

Given my gear, I am comfortable to about 20F.
  14. Mark.F

Mark.F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've just moved house so finally I'll be working out of a garage instead of struggling in a 10x8 shed,it was hard work doing maintainace & rebuilds with a XT600 & 2 fz750's in there:deal
    When the garage/man cave gets sorted I'm building up one of my FZ's with a early R1 front end & modified rear.It also needs a new motor & ancillaries,so I'm on the lookout for a bargain donor bike.
    The XT600 gets used in most weather conditions..

[​IMG]
    & my other FZ750 will be getting used when the suns shining :D
  15. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had planned to spend the winter riding around India on a Honda 125 avoiding both the English weather and gainful employment, but as my tenants have left my house early I have to endure riding to work in the cold and wet :becca

The only consolation is I might be able to afford another bike in the spring and should get a few things done to my G/S.
  16. jbcaddy

jbcaddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oroville & Placerville, California U.S.of A.
    hope to get both my house and my airhead project closer to finished.:rofl
    like either will ever be really finished:D
    way too many other projects await, but at least the Pontiac flat head straight eight motor rebuild has been moved to the back of the line. It may be too far gone to salvage,:cry but as it was my grandfathers, it will take up space for some time to come.:evil
  17. Velocipede

Velocipede Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you asked Kev:clap.All being well I will be riding my new to me 07 Yamaha XT225 in deepest darkest Arizona.I just picked it up today and if anyone is interested it is featured on page 549 of the XT225 thread in Thumpers.

A Moto journalist did a series of articles on it when he added a bunch of aftermarket stuff to improve it,time will tell.A lot of time and effort went into the suspension,Cogent Dynamics finally got the rear suspension fixed thank you thank you,plus some new plastic.

He did ride it hard for a while but everything seems to be OK,I hope:huh.

John
  18. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    I have another one of these coming....

[​IMG]

Not sure if it's going to be restored or not.
    I haven't seen it yet........
  19. McJamie

McJamie STROMINATOR

Oddometer:

Bite me. :(:
    Already today it was only +4 with rain and wet snow coming in sideways. Not far north of us they have snow on the ground already.
  20. davebeef

davebeef Buffoon

Oddometer:
    Old faithful, the Communist flyer, will be pressed into service today, the first day of British winter time. The rest will be sedated until the end of April.
    DB.

[​IMG]