RIP Kemal Merkit

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Brodovitch, Sep 7, 2012.

1. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have no words.... I met Chris lst year in the 24hr race and he was always smiling and helping people...
    He will be missed ... :cry

R.I.P. Chris ... :cry
  2. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this link brother.

It was naturally very sad to watch, but I did smile at the last scene of him jogging while another pilot passes him and did a double take at the crazy pilot who had obviously not had a tough enough day. It encapsulated his spirit for me in a funny kind of way. I figure he may have wanted to be remembered in this way.
  3. Donald Duck

Donald Duck QYYQQuacks !

Oddometer:
    Couple of "well known" stickers from the Kemal's bike...

[​IMG]
    Infamous FYYFF

[​IMG]
    ADV

[​IMG]
    ADV this is #56 bike for Kutlu at 2010 Dakar / Kemal's wingman. Both bikes use to have same sticker scheme.

and my sticker on the tank...

[​IMG]
  4. dereli

dereli bmw R60/2

Oddometer:
    Kemal Merkit is my hero..

great man and great rider, desert tiger...

Ride in Peace :cry:cry
  5. Racinace

Racinace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No words can ease the pain these two families and their friends are feeling. May they be blessed with the fond memories of their short lives while here on this earth.
    May they roost the heavens above with the many that have fallen before them. I'm sure the riding and competition are amazing....
  6. duroturk

duroturk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nooooo! :cry
    R.I.P. :cry
  7. CBVRacing

CBVRacing CBVRacing

Oddometer:
    Kemal, Kutlu and I shared the same boat cabin crossing the mediterranean sea in the 2006 Dakar and a bond was created right then.

In the 2007 Dakar I remember heading toward the medical tent getting my hand fixed up and I heard that Kemal had a BIG CRASH, one of those that leaves you wondering. His Bell helmet was next to him, he was bruised all over the face, and the doctors were shaking their head in disbelief. Kemal was there, all smiling sitting in front of me showing me his helmet. I had never seen a helmet that much destroyed in 27 years of racing. Kemal was comforting the doctors that he was good to go, "no problem, i just find other helmet from somebody" he said. He did keep on going. What a legend!

Then in the 2009 Dakar. Kutlu was on the side of the track in one of those hot river bed all by himself which was strange as they had pretty much the same level day-in / day-out. I stopped to give him some of my fuel as we were about to enter some dunes and he said that Kemal was behind with some motorbike issues. Kemal HAD ALWAYS motorbike issues :) and a very willing riding style that made you wonder how the bike and him could possibly stay together! I went on my own merry off-road adventure without GPS going for the straight line across the dunes and landscapes and didn't see them in the bivouac that night. I thought, "oh nooo something happened with the bikes."
    The next day we started on that same special backward, there was a lenghty delay as 1/3 of the field stayed in the dunes that previous day, then guess who arrived, both Kemal and Kutlu. They camped out in the dunes lighting a small fire and hugging all night as it was freezing cold. Grabbed their next day road book and took off again, the other way. That was the real deal.

Kemal, you have a lot of friends out there and you will be forever with us. You are the truest never giving up individual that I have come across, and you know what? you never did give up, ever...and no one can take that away from you.

CBV

Attached Files:

8. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wouter will be buried this Monday...

[​IMG]
  9. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    I'm absolutely shocked to hear the news, RIP Kemal.
  10. DUCK BOY

DUCK BOY WWW.ROADTOTHERALLY.COM

Oddometer:
    I just saw the page on Facebook and thought it must be a joke. So sad that the great Kemal is no longer with us. I met him at the 2010 Dakar Rally and he had a bunch of local boys pushing his bike up a hill on day 2. He said it might be the end of his race then but of course at the finish he rolled up next to me at the gas stop and hosed his bike off like nothing had happened. The next day I was out of the rally and his wonderful girlfriend drove me to the local airport to get a ride home.

Truly a great loss to the sport. I'll will miss you Kemal.
  11. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Confused feelings after riding hard all day at the KTM rally in Bend, and then seeing this. What a terrible thing.
  12. dox

dox How much for the ape?

Oddometer:
    Just found out about this moments ago...

Some years ago, inmate Donald Duck had posted about his friends who were entered in the Dakar. During that Dakar, and year after year since then, I've followed Kemal. That infectious smile in the photos at the bivouac, the stories told here over the years... A true ironman of Malle Moto.

RIP Kemal and Wouter.
  13. Ray of Sunshine

Ray of Sunshine Happy Grrrl

Oddometer:
    R.I.P. to both riders, it is always a loss for all of us.
  14. yzglc

yzglc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    error
  15. rallye

rallye Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RIP Kemal, i had the pleasure of meeting knowing ,and riding with Kemal , such an energetic and funny guy . He will be sadly missed . Such a shock to read about his passing ,Another tragic accident in the rally world .Kemal certainly was an example of a man who gets the most out of life .
    Sadly he has lost his ,but this reminds me to make the most of every day.
    Ride on Kemal!!
  16. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From the A.S.O., the Organizers of the Dakar :

"KEMAL, OUR FRIEND

A smile will remain. One of the most contagious smiles that the Dakar bivouac has ever known. Everybody on the Rally has an anecdote, a moment of more or less fleeting complicity shared with Kemal Merkit. Some might have met him briefly during a meal, helped him out with a few litres of fuel in the middle of a special stage, spent a night in the dunes in his company, or a few hours alongside him engaged in mechanical repairs on a motorbike, arriving safely in disorder and confusion… the memory of his constant good humour is sure to remain. In spite of setbacks, pain and sometimes tears, Kemal showed the joy of the Dakar experience in all of his attitudes and in his every action. He was an abiding figure in “Malle-Motos”, the meeting point for motorcyclists competing with no assistance, and was among the most faithful upholders of the spirit of helping one another which reigns there. Kemal Merkit took part in the Rally eight times and – after a first experience in 2000 – in 2002 he became the first Turkish rider to complete the Dakar. He was preparing to line up at the start of the Rally in Lima next January, but his enthusiasm and ambition were cut short on a track of the TransAnatolia Rally, in a fatal collision with a Dutch motorcyclist, Wouter Vaarkamp, who also died on 7th September. The Dakar organisation team is deeply distressed by this tragedy and extends its heartfelt condolences to Kemal’s family and loved ones."
    [​IMG]
  17. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    That was a nice tribute from the ASO.
  18. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Agreed, very fitting...

On another note, a great selection of photos from the TransAnatolia over here, by Yasemin Avdan

I would really like to go next year...
  19. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    extremely sad news indeed. hope both the families have the strength to swallow the disaster.

RIP guys.
  20. Kirill Shubin

Kirill Shubin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rip