The Official SV Thread... SV650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by disconnected, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Henderson757

Henderson757 Living the American Dream

Oddometer:
    I had no problems with them at all. I call them asked them about 25 questions on designs and integrity, they answered them all very clearly and sounded like they knew what they were doing. I told Her my weight and height and told them I want 1" extra and She told me I can go up to 2". So that is what I did. She said nothing about it voiding the warrenty at all. It took over a month for the seat to arrive, was shipped and packaged well. The only thing that was wrong is that the Bracket on the seat that bolts to the bike was on backwards. I removed the bolts, flipped the bracket and with a lot of elbow grease got the holes lined up.
    I have heard a bunch of bad things about there customer service but I guess that it really depends on who you deal with. Sorry to here you are having problems with them. The lady I spoke with was Jennifer Rodriguez <jennifer@corbin.com> I sent her 1/2 a dozen emails and she got back to me with in a day. These are just my .02 cents

Good luck with your seat
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal the only thing between want and did is do Supporter

Oddometer:
    Corbin is notorious for having aweful Customer Service. They screwed up several seats for me before they got it right (mine is 1" over stock)

At the time, Sergio was the guy to ask for.

No other way to get a Corbin though. Mine still feels great with over 70,000 miles on it.
  3. Henderson757

Oddometer:
    Only 70,000 Miles. . . . I would expect so much more from you. :rofl
  4. pista

pista Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad I saved all my e-mails from them about voiding my warranty, the welts not holding up, etc. Just forwarded them to a supervisor there...
  5. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal the only thing between want and did is do Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a Sargent for 30 thou or so before it. So there.

It was torn in a spill pretty badly and rather than recover I tried the Corbin.

BTW, I love the look of the profile on your 2" Corbin. Would love to see how that feels.
  6. Henderson757

Oddometer:
    well next time you in VA. bring your ASS over . :rofl
  7. IanJ

IanJ Criminal Mastermind

Oddometer:
    I'm plotting a trip through Europe this summer, and one of my options is to buy a used bike there and sell it at the end of the trip. I'd most likely aim for an SV650, but I've never owned one, so I was wondering if anyone who has one could help me with some theoretical questions about making an SV into a sport-tourer without a lot of effort. Specifically, about carrying luggage.

I've toured extensively on my Ninja 250 by running a pair of straps across the passenger seat, between the uber convenient folding bungee hooks that the old model came with. Running fore-and-aft straps under these lateral straps, I was able to fasten a drybag, tent, sleeping pad and sleeping bag. It was plenty secure, and required no mods to the bike. It also didn't flop around or melt to the pipes like soft panniers can, and I never worried about rain covers, because everything started out waterproof.

In looking at an arbitrary SV (one of the early Curvy models), I didn't see a clear way to do anything like that. Should I be looking into a set of universal soft panniers? What about fastening roll items (tent, sleeping pad and bag)? Does the Pointy have better provision for carrying stuff on the passenger seat? Is there anything hiding under the seat (hooks or the like) that I wouldn't be able to see in pictures? I'm headed out to see a friend's Pointy model soon, but figured I would ask here, where someone might have experience with the kind of quick-n-dirty setup I'm talking about.
  8. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    I've had great success using bungee cords and milk crate (on SV650s and Ninja 250):
    I used to travel 4-days a week, 35 mile-one-way, with 25 lb. backpack 7 other misc. items secure on my pre-gen SV650S.

The milk crate allows plenty of other attachment points for other items

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Combined with secured tankbag, you can carry a good amount of items without gaining width nor much weight:

[​IMG]

Also used Ventura luggage with $35 horse panniers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. IanJ

IanJ Criminal Mastermind

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's more or less what I do with my Ninja 250, although I've got a wire basket (like a locker basket) strapped to the back, as it fits a better with my bulk on the bike. :D Thanks for the pictures!
  10. fragile_this_side_up

fragile_this_side_up Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. lytew8

lytew8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great Thread and great pictures.

I'm currently looking for a 1st gen to make my own (switch to naked)
    Unfortunately, they are getting to be difficult to find and/or people want a fortune for them!

I'm hitting on bikes with 40000miles for $3000~! Kinda nutso these owners, no?

For $3500-4000$ I have a 2nd gen with only 5000miles, yet I'm stuck on the first gen body and ease of carbs,etc. Should I go 2nd Gen?
  12. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    I tried a 2nd gen 2006 SV650S for little over 5k miles, I found the ride FI very abrupt, on/off throttle transition rather poor, ride quality of the edgy aluminum frame not as nice as the 1st gen.
    Gladius seems have have the FI and ride quality issues fixed from the 2nd gen SV. I really enjoyed it, if I didn't get laid off, I would have kept the Gladius vs getting another 1st gen. SV at less than $2k.
    You could still find 1st gen. SV at lower prices, just have to wait for the right time of year. Winter time the used market is slow, really hit or miss what you can find. Once the riding season starts, prices are likely to up.
    Expand your searches into neighboring states would help, if you are sure of what you want.
    Good luck
  13. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone. I just stumbled upon this thread. I see there are several from svrider as well.

I have an '09 SV650S that I've been converting into a more touring-oriented bike.

Here's what I've done to it thus far:
    -Givi touring windscreen
    -Handlebar conversion. Naked bars on 2" riser clamps on drilled (oh, the horror!) S upper triple
    -Galfer stainless steel braided brake lines
    -Sonic Springs 0.90 kg/mm front fork springs with 15wt oil
    -12V DC power outlet
    -Dual fork-mounted ADVMonster LED auxiliary lights
    -Seahorse SE300 tank box
    -Dual Seahorse SE720 side boxes with SW-Motech racks
    -Givi E45NJ top box with SW-Motech top rack
    -2007 ZX14 rear shock
    -Rerouted rear turn signals
    -LED front turn signals
    -SpeedoDRD
    -aTRE
    -Galaxy S3 case with hardwiring kit
    -Shogun frame sliders
    -Buell lowering pegs
    -Gel grips
    -Homebrew skidplate
    -RK 530 X-ring chain with 16/45 JT sprockets (hopefull beefier = longer lasting!)
    -Scottoiler

And now for a bit of picture whoring!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. BobbyLee666

BobbyLee666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a 2004 SV650 to replace my WeeStrom. Liked the Wee, but wanted something just a little bit sportier. Noticed that some folks had mounted a top box directly on the pillion seat. Like that idea, but can someone please be so kind as to take a picture of the way they mounted it, especially under the seat pan?

[​IMG]
  15. discoganya

discoganya Engineer, Rider, Dad Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love the ghetto skidplate! What kind of reflective tape is that? Looks very effective at being reflective :)
  16. blue72beetle

blue72beetle advbikes.com

Oddometer:
    I mounted a cheap scooter case onto a spare seat pan I had. The case had lots of holes in the base for various mounting options, so I just used whatever holes lined up with the closest flat spots of the seat pan. Drilled some holes, and used some nuts, bolts, and locking washers. Couldn't have been easier. Then I filled in the unused holes in the seat pan and case with epoxy, and painted the seat pan black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Because it's just bolted to the exhaust, it's really just a rock deflector, not a skid plate... But I'm not taking the SV into places that require a skidplate, so it works perfectly for my uses!

The reflective tape is called Reflexite in the diamond plate pattern. It is crazy bright at night. I got it from Amazon for $56 for 50 feet for 2" wide tape.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W5U8O6/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=hi

And just for comparison, you can see the ADV oval decal and North America map on my side case in the picture you quoted. Those are both made with 3M reflective tape. 3M has been the gold standard for reflective tape for a long time, and those decals look really pale in comparison to the Reflexite tape.
  18. BobbyLee666

BobbyLee666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much. Look easy enough. I also saw another one where it looked like someone had used a standard pillion seat, and used some kind of spacer/stiffener (maybe a cutting board) between the seat and the box.
  19. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    SHAD makes kits to do this, but not for the SV unfortunately.

[​IMG]
  20. wee-twin

wee-twin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just listed mfw adjustable footpegs in the FM. they were on my 06 which I sold last fall.