Anyone used Mitas tires here ?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by JamesOn2Wheels, Sep 5, 2011.

1. JamesOn2Wheels

JamesOn2Wheels Banned

Oddometer:
    Anyone used Mitas tires here ? Interested to know what you think of 'em.

James
  2. Crashed Bad

Crashed Bad Big man, little bike

Oddometer:
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun
    azcagiva has been runnign them on his elefant. Said he talked to the improter about getting them in 140/89-18 for the katoom. He just drank the koolaid last week and pickes up a 950, so he should be checking in shortly.
  3. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sent Mitas an email two weeks ago requesting info on purchasing a 140/80/18. Have yet to get a reply.

If anyone has better intel on where to get one state-side.. please post. I need to pull the trigger on a new rear very soon and would prefer to pass on the 908RR this time around. The new pricing of the Dunlap just doesn't sit well with me.
  4. JamesOn2Wheels

JamesOn2Wheels Banned

Oddometer:
    www.mitasmx.com is stateside website

which model tire are you looking for ?

James
  5. kulturide

kulturide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used Mitas on less powerful bikes such as yamaha xt 600 and i can tell you i wouldn't use it on my 950, they have a tendency to get old very quickly, cracks apear in the tread and in my opinion are not very reliable. I prefer Heidenau instead of Mitas, they are on the same price level. For example Heidenau K 60 Scout is a versatyle tyre. It's a 50/50 tyre on road/offroad.
  6. JamesOn2Wheels

JamesOn2Wheels Banned

Oddometer:
    I was told they were using a harder compound before and cracking was an issue....i've seen lots of lug cracking on other tires as well..
    They have switched to a slightly softer, stickier compound this year...supposed to be same wear but hold road tighter...I hope someone has tried them out here...I like the tread patterns.

I had a set in Austria a few years ago on an off road bike, now I'm planning an RTW on old beemer, gonna shoe it with Mitas...just not sure which ones.

James
  7. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thats the site I sent it to.. I was looking at the dakar model
  8. azcagiva

azcagiva new orange flavor

Oddometer:
    I like them better than the michelin desert. I have had good luck with them on the elefant, but it is 30hp shy of the KTM.

I too sent them a message asking about the bigger 18" tire. I have a number for them somewhere if I don't hear back from them I will try to give them a call.

I think there is a inmate here that works for them too.

-John
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  10. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've used an E-09 on little bikes but it wouldn't last a day on a 950.
  11. JamesOn2Wheels

JamesOn2Wheels Banned

Oddometer:

I ran a Sahara set once, worst tires I ever had...speaking of desert style.
  12. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just finished 8200km trip from Estonia to Georgia and back with my 950 Superenduro (ride report coming soon :wink:), using Mitas E-07 front and rear. Opposite to others experience I would say they are great 50/50 tyre (at least rear) and looking at the tires now I believe they will last another such trip!
    Positive - great grip on dry asphalt, hard packed gravel and rocks - I feel they may be even better than Dunlop 908RR or Motoz Tractionator Desert HT I used before. Not so great on sand or mud, but rear is surprisingly good tho! And they are rated up to 190km/h.
    Negative - not so great on wet asphalt, especially front, I had some not so great moments during my trip. Front feels not suitable for soft surfaces like mud or sand. What makes big difference is tyre size - 140 and 150 rears have much bigger blocks than narrower sizes. I will use another E-07 rear any time but will choose another front.
  13. LatvianStallion

LatvianStallion Uldis Rokis

Oddometer:
    Right now I have an E-07 on and it has lasted pretty well for how it is being tortured on and off road. But as with every dual purpose tire I have found that it is not what I would like off road, compared to specific hard enduro tires like E-09.
    I used the E-09 last season and it wore very well for 50/50 riding and I believe it lasted much longer that my friends KAROO-T.
    Front mitas E-07 I used once but found that off-road it is as useless as a scorpion so after the first one I used Mitas E-09 which is much better and held up for long enough. Now though I prefer Sava MC-23, which I paid 50$ for and it already has been 3500km going and barely showing ware (tarmac stability after 160kph is limited).
    I also tried the Heidenau K-60 on the rear, but I think it is as good as E-07 only 30$-40$ more expensive here in Latvia.

Hope that helped a little.

Latvian
  14. JamesOn2Wheels

JamesOn2Wheels Banned

Oddometer:
    I had a set of mx tires in Austria, I forgot which ones, from Mitas and was pretty happy with them...rode them on pavement quite a bit as I lived in the country and there was only one part-time Gendarme in the area - they performed real well.

I think I'm gonna shoe my R100RT (slightly modified) with them...I'll need a slightly aggressive road tire or enduro tire for 80/20 but has to be good on the 20 as the bike is a bear to keep upright on anything soft or wet......and a set of MX style tires that will handle sand when I get to Kaz. but also not disappear on pavement running...any suggestions ?

Thanks

James
  15. ÖÖ.

ÖÖ. Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer:
    I have Mitas C-02 rear on my narrower rim. I has quite good grip on soft but it's not perfect on hard surfaces. Maybe because it's only 120 mm wide so it is a little bit too narrow even for SE rim.
  16. azcagiva

azcagiva new orange flavor

Oddometer:
    I have not heard from mitas by email yet. I just put in a call to them and will let you guys know what I find out.

-John
  17. Hodgo

Hodgo TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer:
    Try Posting in this thread.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689869

I use the E09 Dakar on the AT and 140/17 and find it to wear really well. 8-9000kms . Bit too soft on the sidewalls for a front tyre with heavy bikes. But rears are great.

I would expect the same sort of wear on the SE, or maybe 6-7000kms.
  18. 990

990 Krap To Maintain

Oddometer:
    I had an E-07 on the rear and an E-09 on the front of my v-strom, my theory being you need more grip in the front on the gravel. The E-07 was 1/2 way worn after about 5000km and the E-09 was finished by then. The only problem with the E-09 is that they are pretty noisy. I have just fitted a scorpion on the rear of the 990 and after 1500km it looks like its worn down half way!! The dude at Wildcoast KTM says alot of guys are opting for the Mitas E-07 as it last alot longer. Im just worried about the rating of the tyre as i sometimes ride with some speed freaks and its difficult to controll ones wrist when guys come flying past you:evil.I have a Michelin Anakee 2 on the front and for the life of me i can't understand why they dont make an 18 inch tyre.(PS this is the dakar version of the E-09 with the yellow stripe it has a stronger side wall.)

Attached Files:

19. XB12Xforfun

XB12Xforfun It can be fixed!

Oddometer:
    I recently put a set on my Super Tenere and LOVE them. They have a slightly softer feel on the road but are damn capable off-road. I don't do motorcross but I have had some experince with the 600 pounder on some single track and those tires enspire a new level of confidence where Tourances left me wondering how I was going to get back to the hard road. They are not bad at all on wet pavement and quiet riding even at 100mph+. I'll have to put a few more miles on them to see how they last. I changed the metzler at 4k, it had another 500 miles or so but I couldn't wait. Only negative was the shipping cost..$75, for a total of $346.75 plus a $10.40 foreign transaction fee from my credit card company!
  20. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have now covered 13000km with rear Mitas E-07 (140/80-18) on my SuperEnduro and still have few mm thread left. Absolutely great tyre for almost everything. I have used Pirelli MT-16 front (80/100-21) for 5000km now and it will last quite a bit more. Very good combo for me. Maybe I'll try MT-21 front next time with Mitas E-07 rear.