What would you pay for this rig? 1974 R90/6

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by j1sisner, Jan 25, 2013.

1. j1sisner

j1sisner Essenfro

Oddometer:
    1974 R90/6 with 1954 Jupiter (Sputnik) Sidecar I bought this rig from a collector in Idaho....on an impulse. It's a beautiful setup, but I wasn't prepared for the rigors of sidecar driving and would rather replace this with only two wheels. 21,100 miles on the odometer....but it is frozen there....bummer. I'm trying to get an idea of how much I should list it for....can I get some help please? I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. davide

davide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was this listed on eBay a while back? I am in SLC and remember noticing...
  3. j1sisner

j1sisner Essenfro

Oddometer:
    Yeah it was. Alas, it didn't sell. I'll keep pressing on.
  4. davide

davide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what it is worth, but it sure is a beutiful set up! Glws.
  5. j1sisner

j1sisner Essenfro

Oddometer:
    I am going to send this over to the flea market and see how it goes. Thanks for the help!
  6. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    There's the big ADV Flea Market of course, but don't forget to post it up in our little Hacks Flea Market thread -- here.

Also, the Sidecarist classified section tends to draw more of the old timers-- here. You'll have to join, but it's free just like ADV (though a lot of us send some cash to Baldy as a way of thanks when we sell something -- here.)

Good luck!
  7. j1sisner

j1sisner Essenfro

Oddometer:
    D'oh! I just finished my post on the ADV Flea Market. Is it possible to link to another thread within ADV? That would be MUCH easier! Thanks for the help!
  8. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's easy. Just post up a reply to the Hacks FM thread I mentioned above, say yer selling your rig, it's a 1974 R90/6 with a Jupiter sidecar, there's a pic below, and here's the link to my FM thread--CLICK HERE.

Then post a pic.

You can copy and paste the "click here" link above since I've already linked it to your thread.
  9. NitroMax

NitroMax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No man, don't sell it, it's an awesome hack :clap

Just get used to riding a sidecar, once you get the hang of it you'll love it !!!

Take a couple of lessons and enjoy !!
  10. mayrel

mayrel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am located in Mentone AL, not sure where you are? I have had several sidecar rigs and love them. I purchased a "left over" 2011 Vstrom650 ABS, black, which I have put less than 2000 miles on. I would seriously consider trading with you if you were interested. I would want to know as much about the maintenance history of your R90/6; last major work done and by whom, last time splines were lubed, compression of each cyclinder, were the heads redone for unleaded fuel, all that sort of thing. I notice the wheels are not stock, so what else has been done to your knowledge? In any event, she's a nice looking rig. What make is the sidecar? You can email me direct mayrel@centurylink.net if you like...John
  11. mayrel

mayrel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am located in Mentone AL, not sure where you are, Utah or Oregon? I have had several sidecar rigs and love them. I purchased a "left over" 2011 Vstrom650 ABS, black, which I have put less than 2000 miles on. I would seriously consider trading with you if you were interested. I would want to know as much about the maintenance history of your R90/6; last major work done and by whom, last time splines were lubed, compression of each cyclinder, were the heads redone for unleaded fuel, all that sort of thing. I notice the wheels are not stock, so what else has been done to your knowledge? In any event, she's a nice looking rig. What make is the sidecar? You can email me direct mayrel@centurylink.net if you like...John
  12. Slade 330

Slade 330 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "I wasn't prepared for the rigors of sidecar driving"
    what rigours are they, maybe nut tho's out first, maybe the sidecar screen is to high which may cause the bike to struggle at speed, what other issues are you having? I am sure we can help::wink:
  13. Slade 330

Slade 330 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    worth the extra spend. A well set up outfit can be a pleasure to ride, thats a great outfit, it may be worth you going to an expert to get the front end sorted, might cost a bit but would be better for you and any future riders (purchasers) my guess is you would keep it if it was great to ride.
  14. Herr Director

Herr Director Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You have a very nice rig that is nearly finished. The R90/6 machine is possibly the most long-life airhead, has very good power for a light to medium sidecar, and this example has the large touring tank which is essential for a tug. You can make the rig much easier to ride by replacing the stock triple clamps with a set which reduces the rake of the forks. Perry Bushong of Perrys Motorcycles and Sidecars in Fort Worth, Tx. makes them and sells them. Perry was the BMW Motorcycle Franchisee for 30 years and has built many BMW rigs equipped with these and they transform the handling, its like power steering. Add a plexiglass windscreen and you can tour all day on your rig.

In our market, (Dallas Fort Worth area), a rig like yours which has Perrys' front end set up would bring somewhere around six grand. If you wanted to have one just like it built, it would cost you at least ten grand. If you could find a pristine R60/6 that is. They are getting hard to find in such good condition.
  15. j1sisner

j1sisner Essenfro

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help, everyone! I am going to keep this rig on the market. If it sells, it sells. If not, I'll continue to use it. I probably won't make a lot of additional modifications though...just in case. I'm amazed at all of the expertise out there! I may hit up the forums if I need to make some minor adjustments! Thanks again!