First rides, farkles and fixes: show off your bike here!

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Supahflid, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Supahflid

Supahflid Wheelieless Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    EBW, slowoldguy, Trophy:

Yeah, I might be a bit optimistic. I swear someone has 3g's on their TKC's; I think it may be peaches; of course, if it's him, he's been well past usable tire for a while! Or at least tire that has any tread.
  2. MSrider

MSrider Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer:
    Good looking tires Flid. depending on the load, 2500 should be doable. Oil change on every third set...? What are the oil change intervals on the 990? Are they around 5-6k?
    Way to go BWs. Looks like you have a few pieces of water sports equipment left over.
  3. Supahflid

Oddometer:

Once every 4500 miles. Valve adjust at a little less than 10,000 miles.
  4. Trophy1298

Trophy1298 Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer:
    That's not as bad as I thought.

BW, glad you sold the boat. :clap Looks like you have room for a few more bikes now. :wink:
  5. backwoodsKLR

backwoodsKLR Ride more, Post Less.

Oddometer:
    Boat is in driveway. Delivering it on way to work in morning. Still got to load up the rest of the water toys.
  6. Switchblade315

Switchblade315 I make people disappear

Oddometer:

i see one problem all ready.... you need more lights :lol3 Glad ya got the boat sold...
  7. vfrgreg

vfrgreg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I say 3000 on rear and 4500 on front
    Hope you kept the takeoffs!
  8. Switchblade315

Switchblade315 I make people disappear

Oddometer:
    first ride out on the Old XL with eh XR forks.. felt good except for a wobble on gravel. I'm not talking head shake i mean a wobble. no I thought maybe it's the tire i used so i hit the highway.. nothing, it was as smooth as could be. so no way it's the tire or rim. going to jack it back up and look at that again anyway. I think it's just sitting higher in the front then it did and that is causeing it. I'll lower it some if I see no warp in the tire and rim. and OH MY GOD what a front brake. :clap oh and it has no wobble on pavement wile on the brake ether I think it's just sitting to high.
  9. eatalotapeaches

eatalotapeaches finding my own way

Oddometer:
    I think I got about that out of my rear. Supah should get at least 3K, prolly over 4K from his rear. (Unless he gives too many demo rides.) :rofl I think I put over 8K on my front.
  10. vfrgreg

vfrgreg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I doubt he'll run a front as long as you have:wink:
  11. Trophy1298

Oddometer:
    YMMV :norton
  12. Supahflid

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty conservative.....I usually live to ride another day and try not to ride above my skill level. I will prolly get 2,500 or 3,000 out of the rear.
  13. backwoodsKLR

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed watching you in my mirrors doing the gravel today... how'd those new shoes do when we do to the almost wet red clay? Have not seen water standing like that in months...
  14. Trophy1298

Oddometer:

Standing water? Where did y'all ride.
  15. Supahflid

Oddometer:
    Akshually, I felt pretty comfortable today. I don't believe any bike is going to feel like it's not going to wash out in the front in deep gravel or sand or loose conditions. I sat a lot today; on the KLR I've felt a lot more comfortable in weird stuff standing up. So far, the verdict is that I like the KTM. I don't know if it's a "in the head" thing or not, but I felt like a little goose from the throttle was all it took to drive me through whatever we were in. I felt like I was riding on top of you all day when we were off road.
  16. jeffrides

jeffrides mid aged youngun

Oddometer:
    you boys on the smurf colored bikes remember this for gravel,,,, drop air pressure! i drop down to 16 front and 21 rear ,on the klr. .

jeffrides
  17. backwoodsKLR

Oddometer:

I was very pleased with how the Tourances worked on Gravel... The only trouble I had was when I took a turn and the sudden washboard sections surprised me... Had to scrub off some speed. Front end did not like sudden bumps at speed... on the normal gravel, it was fine.:clap
  18. Supahflid

Oddometer:

That's about what I used to run on the KLR. The KTM tires call for higher air pressures, so I'm not sure if I can go that low. And why do they have to be Smurf colored bikes?
  19. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    hmmm my phone never rang :ear

That's okay I found enough to keep me occupied.
  20. backwoodsKLR

Oddometer:

So here is how it went... :deal I want to get the tag back out quickly and knew where I wanted to take it. So i did buzz Supah and DQ. DQ was doing chores all weekend and Supah, well... he's Supah.

So Supah agrees to go and I explain that I have limited time. I said I get out of early service at church, after playing with the band, around 9:45am and want to get on the road. Around 9:50 Supah and I start texting. He says that "Arden and Anti" want to ride with us. I soon find out Anti is still in Columbus and Supah is having one of his moments. :huh
    So Supah asked where to meet and I say his house since it is on my proposed route. He says he will call DQ and see if he is in or out. Then he tells me to head for DQ's house and that we are all meeting there.

So I rush home change clothes, gear up, and head for DQ's. I arrive to DQ in shorts working the garage and no bikes in sight... :huh So I text Supah and ask where he is buying his crack these days... :D

Then I find out from DQ that Supah had just volunteered all of us to help him unload a large pine tree that he had loaded on a trailer. So I call Supah and ask what is up... (He claims to be waiting on Arden and claims I am giving him grief for being late when it isn't his fault.) :wink: I have a limited amount of time cause the band played a concert last night and we are supposed to warm up at 5:30... So DQ and I go unload the tree on our own... I'm going to rename Supah to Blister... Cause he shows up after all the work is done!!! :lol3

It was a fun ride and my only regrets were having to fly home on superslab instead of the great backroads... Leaving Arden behind and watching Supah-FLY-d take off, get boxed in by an old fart in a dually, then shoot between him and an 18 wheeler giving the ADV salute... Wish I had gotten a picture of that!!! But that KTM hit warpseed... Within a few minutes I could barely see him miles ahead of me and then he was gone... And I was moving pretty quickly on the Wee!!!! :eek1