Helmet Replacment after 5 years...WHY?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jbhawley, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is what I thought too. But try to register your helmet on line and see what you get!

Here is a section from correspondence from Arai;

"Arai 10/12/2011
    XXXX, The warranty on the Arai helmets is 5 years from date of manufacture or date of purchase, not to go beyond 7 years from date of manufacture. Since your helmet was manufactured on 9/2007, your warranty would end on 9/14, 7 years from date of manufacture. There has to be a cut off as we cannot warranty helmets that are over seven years old as they may not be safe to use. Thanks, Kathy"

That meant that as a customer I would only get 3 years on a 'brand new' helmet. Not acceptable. I sent the helmet back to the store for them to deal with.

So, like tires, it pays to check the date of manufacture before you purchase! Read the fine print carefully.
  2. moggi1964

moggi1964 Tiger Keeper

Oddometer:
    You are mistaken on the warranty; here is the text from my registration of the Signet Q (it didn't paste too well but the warranty period is in the top right corner. Compare that to the purchase date and the manufacture date on the left. I wonder if your previous one was already registered by an owner then returned because it didn't fit right and then sat in stock for a while? Or maybe policies have changed since that time?

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr bgcolor="E5F4F9"><td> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>Signet-Q

</td><td align="right"> Limited Warranty Expires: 4/1/2017
    </td></tr> </tbody></table> </td></tr><tr><td>Color/Graphics: Laurel</td></tr><tr><td>Size: Medium</td></tr><tr><td>Snell Number:
    </td></tr><tr><td>Purchased Date: 4/1/2012</td></tr><tr><td>Manufactured Date: 11/30/2011</td></tr><tr><td>Dealer/Company where purchased: Revzilla PA</td></tr></tbody></table>
  3. Tsotsie

Oddometer:
    It is possible they changed- a little - as I know I put heat on them and the large company I bought from did too! They were then stuck with stock!
  4. AlecMyrddyn

AlecMyrddyn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ouch, at the end of 2011 a store still had a helmet made in 2007 for sale?!?! That store sucks!

Not Arai's fault that the dealer was stocking such old helmets...
  5. Tsotsie

Oddometer:
    My impression, after the fact, was that as a new model was coming out, Arai were trying to off-load those as sevaral large reputable national stores were offering larger than normal discounts.
  6. Transient

Transient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's crazy. I've seen year old Arais sold, but nothing like that!
  7. Wuwei

Wuwei Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't really mean much, but I've got a couple of helmets around that are in the 30-40 year old range (don't use them!) and the foam that is against the shell of the helmet looks and feels fine, though some of the plastic bits of the liners have disintegrated. One old Bell was lined with leather and looks to be wearable last I looked. Also probably doesn't mean squat, but I have cut into old insulated ice boxes on boats and the inside of the foam appears fine and structurally sound, even if the exterior surface is extremely grungy and dinged up. As some have suggested, I don't think the 5-year rule is based on much science. There may be some chance of degradation of certain parts of a helmet, especially if used heavily. For example, how many small drops will a helmet experience in 5 years? However, I am strongly suspicious that the main science on this comes from the sales and marketing departments.
  8. vicmitch

vicmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    "The Snell Memorial Foundation has tested motorcycle helmets held in storage for more than 20 years and found that they still meet the original standard. EPS is a long-lived material little affected by normal environmental factors. Unless you mistreat it we would not expect it to "dry out" enough to alter its performance for many years."

I came upon this thread through Google because I found a helmet importer selling some New Old Stock and wanted some info. They are clearing out their warehouse of some European helmets that are no longer imported to the US. These helmets are 10 or so years old and were $300 when new. They are selling them for #35 with free shipping.

Also, some say never to buy used, but there are always extenuating circumstances that make it a good choice. How many guys bought their wives full gear only to have them refuse to get on a bike after their MSF course. Ho wmany geezers thought they could relive their youth only that what was fun then might not be fun now. Their are also those like me who buy online and then find the thing is too big, to round or whatever after wearing it for a couple of days.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852207
    Mitch
  9. Tazzio

Tazzio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here in Colorado we don't have a helmet law, so I usually don't wear a helmet, however I have an HJC modular helmet I purchased in 2001, and only used it on long road trips that involved going to states with helmet laws. I also would wear it in cold weather just for the warmth, or if I was going to be on a day trip just to keep the sun off my head (tried every skull cap beanie etc. nothing stay's on my head). Just a conservative guess I might have had 20 thousand miles over a 12 yr span of wearing the helmet. This last summer I started wearing it on a daily basis for reasons unknown even to myself. I did manage to crash, and was very thankful to have had it on. It did it's job it's junk now, but I think that helmet would have given me at least 2 more years of use.
  10. moggi1964

moggi1964 Tiger Keeper

Oddometer:
    Glad it did its job. :clap

Can I ask, did you replace it and did you go back to wearing one again on a daily basis?

I do think knowing the history of the helmet means you can be more secure in the knowledge it is likely to be in good condition and 20k isn't a lot of miles.
  11. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unbelievable that someone wouldn't wear a helmet. Darwin was right
  12. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This has little to do with this thread but I find it amusing anyway. I always had trouble tossing away old helmets and eventually ended up with a pile of them and ended up taking them up to the hunting camp to give them a proper Viking funeral. I stacked about 5 of them nicely in the burn pit with plenty of kindling,gave a euology and my son lit the fire. We watched them burn to absolutely nothing . The only trace left were the D -rings the next day.Even milk jugs leave a clump of shit where they sat.
  13. Joe?

Joe? ... Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a great thread and I applaud the OP for opening the discussion in such a way. When I switch back to coffee from whiskey I'll read the next 3 pages :lol3
    While I do agree that '5 years' means something different for everyone, I would also advocate spending the most on a new helmet versus a formerly nicer used helmet. My riding tends to kill helmets at the 2-3 year mark, and what I spend on new helmets is based on that.

Also, if you are asking about your helmets 'expiration' before you have fully trashed it, you aren't riding enough. :ricky
  14. Joe?

Joe? ... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Darwin sailed around the world without a life jacket, let's not judge Tazzio for his head wear choice. Unless he was riding a GSX-R at the time.
  15. moggi1964

moggi1964 Tiger Keeper

Oddometer:
    Agreed!

This isn't going to become a bashing thread that eventually gets locked down because the original OP question has been derailed.

Can't believe Darwin left without his lifejacket, should have had a checklist if you ask me :D
  16. AdrianB1

AdrianB1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I cannot imagine someone using a helmet on a daily basis for 5 years - all my helmets after ~ 3 years of daily use were lose, the liner was worn out and starting to break, the EPS was compacting and it was a bit lose for someone with one size larger. So I bought a new helmet every time I was no longer satisfied by the old one and that was in less than 5 years. If you keep the helmet in storage you can probably use it even after 10-15 years if you don't mind the style :D
  17. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:

I didn't judge Tazzio or anyone else. I just commented that the choice was unbelievable. As for Darwin, I doubt life jackets were readily available; had they been I'm sure he would have worn one.
    To get back on track, my Schuberth is more than five years old, but its comfortable, was serviced by Schuberth a year ago, so I'm still wearing it
  18. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should have bought a lottery ticket, friend.

I hope now that you have dodged a bullet, you will wear a helmet more often Tazzio.
  19. vicmitch

vicmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got my new old stock $35 helmet today. Very light super comfortable. Grahics are green so I peeled them off. They have a few more so I might buy another and keep in the box as a replacement.

Mitch
  20. Proveick

Proveick Long timer

Oddometer: