Gorman to Santa Barbara

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by rturchan, Apr 3, 2009.

1. rturchan

rturchan BAJA BOB

Oddometer:
    I am looking to ride from the Gorman area to Santa Barbara. Does anyone know of some tracks to get there? Plan is to stay the night and reverse the trail the next day. I see some trails on each end but want to get some idea if they are all open and which ones hook up together the best. Any help is aprreciated.
    Bob
    XR650R plated

All or mostly DIRT is the goal. Riding plated DIRT bikes.
  2. funhouse

funhouse Overdue

Oddometer:
    I did it often in the 70's via Sespe Hot Springs, up Johnson Ridge and down a creekbed into the back of the Gorman park.....no idea if any of it is still open....Bruce
  3. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Johnson ridge has been closed for years.

I put on Dual Sport Ride from SLO to Gorman to Cajone Pass years ago before GPS.

I do have some of what you want on the Statewide Motorized Trail System. Gorman to Hwy 33 I think. Look on GPSXchange.com
  4. G-Force Junkie

G-Force Junkie Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is easy, only a couple of ways. The longer way take Lockwood valley road west to the 33 north to the 166 west and you will hit the 101 at Santa Maria, then south on the 101. Or when you hit the 33 so south and hit the 101 in Ventura then north up the 101. For a nicer, backroads ride, go south on the 33 from Lockwood, then west on the 150 just south of Ojai. Before you get back to the 101 at Carpentria, take a right at the "Y" and follow this road all the way to santabarbra. Its not one solid road, its a series of different backroads so you will have to make several turns at stopsigns. Just follow the signs, its highway (or state route) 198 or something. Mostly right turns as you head west.

edit: this is all highway, not sure if you want dirt.
  5. rideonandon

rideonandon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I have rode this route in a days time, many time before. It is a good training ground for longer rides. if the 101 is taken to 126 to the 5 it can be exected to cover close 300 mile in that day.
  6. SC_Crash

SC_Crash Convert

Oddometer:
    (Hey GFJ!!) :D

I've been curious about this one as well. I was looking at some maps and checking with Google Earth and I found a path off the 33. You can play around in the Mt. Pinos area for a bit but Lockwood Valley road is the best bet.

I was up there this past weekend and the Range informed me that most forest roads are still closed from the Heavy Winter.

The Road is called Matilija Canyon Rd, it's just south of Wheeler Springs off the 33 right outside of Ojai. I didn't get the chance to go check it out as I was with the kids in the truck, but judging by the amount of GeoCaches along the road, I'd say it's open. Looks like it breaks a little and then turns into Murietta Juncal Rd. Comes out near a resevior then onto many different available paths.

So the path would be Gorman or Fraiser Park to Lockwood Valley, Down the 33 to Matilija Canyon Rd, then East for as long as that dirt goes. I'd be willing to check it out this weekend and report back for you. Maybe even try to partner up?
    Toytec likes this.
  7. SC_Crash

SC_Crash Convert

Oddometer:
    Okay, I just double checked the National Forest Maps.. there are a few options to make this trip happen. I'm going to call the local Ranger Station and get a status of Road Closures. I'll let you know if you are interested
  8. RSC E

RSC E ADVWNT2B

Oddometer:
    Any luck? Last i heard They will open it up memorial weekend.
  9. Guyver

Guyver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know if anyone is still interested in this or not.....if you have enough gas, you can make Mt. Pinos to Ballinger. Ballinger will spit you out at the 33, there is a way through the east of there to the Los Padres near SB, but I've never done it. I have the maps, if anyone is still interested; let me know.
  10. rturchan

rturchan BAJA BOB

Oddometer:
    Dual Sport or Adventure bike ride starting in Pine Mountain Ca. and ending in Santa Maria CA.
    Details:
    Ridden with Honda XR 650R
    Fire roads and some Pavement
    Difficulty: Easy
    This ride is designed to be ridden in two days with a stay over at the Travelodge in Santa Maria ( tel 805-922-2123). Many may want to run the complete trip in one day.
    120 mile fuel range needed
    Suitable for light dual sport bikes to larger adventure bikes KTM 990, BMW HP2 and BMW GS 1200, etc. )

Description:
    Fuel is 2.2 miles north of the intersection of highway 33 and Quatal canyon road (9N09)
    Dual sport or adventure bikes for all sections.
    The “Hrd” section is a little softer and the Novice on a heavy Adventure bikes might want to skip this. There are about six gates to open and close in the “ 2 Hrd” section.

The remainder of the ride is hard packed graded dirt roads.
    No single track or sand washes in any sections.
    Pack your lunch or stop at The Burger Barn at 4905 Perkins Rd, New Cuyama, CA 93254. 661-766-2466
    We started in Pine Mountain , staging at a campsite just a few hundred yards from the intersection of Mil Protrero Road and Quatal Canyon road. When traveling from Los Angeles , head to Frazier Park, exit Frazier Mountain Park Road and travel west for 6.9 miles to Cuddy Road. Continue another 5.5 miles to the town of Pine Mountain. From the Golf course ( in the middle of Pine Mountain club) head 3.8 miles on Mil Protrero Road (forest highway 95) to Quatal Canyon road and park a the first campsite on your left.
    For you Adventure bike riders, just ride there on your bikes and continue with the tracks. There is Fuel after about 20 miles off the 33 highway at “Pistachios”. This is marked on the tracks as a waypoint. There was no fuel in Cayuma when we went so your next Fuel is in Santa Maria, 115 miles from here. I am having trouble uploading the GPS tracks, but I'll keep trying.... Bob
    Toytec and Buster714 like this.
  11. motosinko805

motosinko805 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i've heard that you used to be able to ride from ballinger to Gorman, is it still possible?
  12. gdm

gdm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:

I don't think Los Padres map of legal trails shows one.
  14. bikepsych

bikepsych Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone checked out how far Matilja Canyon Road goes towards Santa Barbara? If you can get from Matilja Canyon to Camino Cielo East, cross over the 154, then continue on Camino Cielo West, it will dump you out either down near Solvang (great ride and some great restaurants) or go west at the "Y" at the end of Camino Cielo West and it will dump you out down on 101 at Refugio Beach. I've done Camino Cielo West many times. Not terribly challenging. Did it once in my pickup with only two wheel drive almost the entire way. Some AMAZING views. Apparently its a great make out place as well as we saw a lot of blankets flying around in the back of an Explorer parked just off the road. :evil
  15. tubebender

tubebender Shakin' all over

Oddometer:
    I don't think that is possible. East Camino Cielo (the ORV part) ends just beyond Divide Peak (gated). Looks like Matilija Canyon ends at what may be part of Murrietta Juncal Rd. That has always been gated; I got a federal trespassing charge in the mid 70's when I rode from Camino Ceilo down a ridge line to Jameson Lake. Used to be more roads open, they have been closing them down because of environmental and budget constraints. If not for the ORV designation (read 'money') I believe those sections would have been closed years ago.

But hey, if you can find a way, PM me!
  16. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Matilija Canyon Rd is now closed by the land owner, you used to be able to hike or bike past the closed gate, but now the owner has closed it to even hikers and mt bikers.
  17. boomsurf

boomsurf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thinking about a big bike ride. Is it possible to cross over Las Padres?
    ie_adv_noob likes this.
  18. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    See the California Statewide Motorized Trail System (CA SMTS) on GPSXchange.com

Attached file is just this section.

Attached Files:

19. Andybeerguy

Andybeerguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking for an update, can you take Divide to Hwy 33 to Balinger to Gorman? It looks possible on google but doesn’t show any private property gates. Any help is appreciated.
  20. filippp

filippp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You cannot. Divide is an out and back