2013 Husqvarna 650 Terra

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by grunkster, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Steveize

Steveize Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will be out on it sun, mon tue, but come by and get some seat time...we have all the husky's, but this is our demo.. We rolled a 310 out fri, just taking the terra home was a blast.. I have a BMW 650 thumper, so ask any q ' s about the two..

We would like to have a husky meet up.. Any interest in Raleigh nc area. .?

Capitolbmw.com

Let's ride!, Steve
  2. JTucker

JTucker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, I'm still waiting on a demo to show up. :ddog

We have a Terra and two Stradas though.
  3. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup! If I had an FE390, I'd feel differently! I'm looking for one bike to cover the middle ground.

My buddy has the FE390, an F650GS Dakar, and a R1200GS. He thinks he's done (well, for now).
  4. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure why a lot of people think that the 690 is not a good road bike. From everything I have read and heard it makes an excelent road bike. Things to make it comforetable will be needed pretty much on any bike you get, like better seat, windscreen etc. I'm actualy buying mine because I'm bettn that it will make an excelent road bike and it will run 17"s at least 65% of the time.
    Admitably, reliability and cost of maintenance was also my big concern with the 690 prior to my research but I'm quite confident other wise now, especialy with the newer 2012 +...Besides, it sems all of them got some type of solvable bullshit teething problems anyways.

Just Hope I dont eat my words lol...Putting a deposit on one next week.:D
  5. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    HF got a WR250R, then I copied HF got a WR250R.

Sold the WR250R (and my Aprilia RXV550) and got a FE390, then HF copied me and got a FE390 :lol3

Then we rode both FE390's in Colorado, and we love those bikes. Great hard-core dual-sport plated bikes, leaning towards technical dirt of course.

Then the local Husky rep dropped off a demo Terra 650 in my driveway and I test rode it for a 1/2 day and I liked it a lot. If anyone cares, I can post my riding impressions.

[​IMG]

Told HF about it, then he sold his WR250R and got a Terra 650... (and he has a F800GS too.)

However I did not buy a Terra 650 (yet), nice as it is, since I have a KTM990S and a Terra 650 is a little too close to the same mission purpose.

Makes perfect sense, right? :huh

Let's see some TR650 action shots HighFive!

[​IMG]
  6. Nev..

Nev.. wannabe advrider

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I picked up my TR650 Terra yesterday. I got the first customer bike at my local Husky dealership, about a week after they took delivery of their first demo model. Also owning a DL1000 and previously owning an XB12X Ulysses I really appreciate the bigger wheels, lighter weight and great riding position on the Terra.

Unfortunately, as well as being one of the first owners of the Terra in Australia, I'm probably going to be the first to take theirs back for breakdown repairs. I picked up the bike from the shop, rode it home the long way, 180km or so, then parked it. A couple of hours later I went to start it and I had the dreaded EWS error on the dash. AARRGGHH. Last time I saw this was on the dashboard of my wife's F650GS so I knew exactly what it meant. Engine Won't Start. (and the shop doesn't reopen for 4 days because of the new years holidays). Hopefully it's something simple like the antenna ring failure the GSs are famous for which can be simply replaced.
  7. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I didn't know the Terra had an antenna ring. Long shot, but one thing to try is make sure that you only have one key in the ignition or on your person. On BMWs with the antenna ring, more than one key in range can be an issue.
  8. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:

Especially "I don't think we'll find stone axe reliability and high-spec components (and light weight) in the same package any time soon"

Some numbers:

Claimed wet curb weights:

TR650 Terra -186kg w/ABS 410lbs (I've read actual 405lbs without)
    Sertao -192kg/423lbs
    KLR650 -196kg/432lbs -22L tank
    XT600R -181kg/399lbs -not for us in NA...suckers...
    XT600Z (Tenere) -208.5kg/459lbs -23L tank -not for us in NA...suckers...
    DR650 -167kg/368lbs
    690R -150kg/331lbs -wow!
    X Challenge -156kg/344lbs
    TE630 -160kg/353lbs

and for kicks:
    CRF250L -145kg/320lbs
    KLX250S -135kg/298lbs
    WR250R -134kg/295lbs at least $1100.00 CAD more than the others, alu frame/swingarm, far better suspension, better engine...barely lighter?

In fact sadly none of the Yamahas are light...(then there's the Super Tenere) but they are well built and have reliable engines. Just not sure if they would ever make what we want (maybe that will work? :lol3). I will trade a few kgs for better build/reliability though.
    The TE did look close though...sad that it's gone so soon :cry
    The 690R does look good but the price is much higher (justified perhaps it's a fun machine to ride!) and then the big tank is an issue ($$) too.

There's no doubt that the Terra is heavy compared to the "performance alternatives" but it also has a stronger rear sub-frame (and steel) for example. That's a weak point of the 690 (sorta), 630 and the X Chall. It also has an arguably more reliable engine? Husky's going after a certain target sort of "general" consumer and price is of course a part of that.

They aren't building our ultimate Adv bike yet (who is?:lol3) but it may be a start.
    Hopefully there is an R version down the pipe. I'd gladly pay $1000 more for better suspension/lighter/bigger tank etc. I don't want more power/less range though or less reliability.

I also find it interesting that the Terra "only" has 7.5" travel but has 10.5" ground clearance. That's a lot for that amount of travel. That puts in .5" away from the 690R for example but it over 2" less travel :deal I bet there's some spacers in the fork and a long stroke rear shock out there...or at least the height/room to put some longer travel bits on within the stock dimensions...and an alu swingarm :evil

I think the Terra is a great bike and it both has lot of potential and has potential to wake up the competitors!

Dave
  9. Nev..

Nev.. wannabe advrider

Oddometer:
    No, Unfortunately that isn't the problem. The antenna is not that sensitive. The demo I took for a test ride had it's two keys ziptied to one another (one key down, one key up) and there was no issue with it starting. I am just fortunate this occurred in my driveway at home. In fact exactly the same spot where my wife's GS was parked when it had it's EWS event, and the symptons on the Husky are identical to those we saw on the GS. Bike parked for a time, key turned, EWS showing on dash with no other symptoms leading up to this. Another friend had the same issue on his R1200GS, Unfortunately for him he was camping in a forest several hundred km from home at the time and had to get towed from his campsite.

May as well add a few pics of my new ride. These are from it's inaugural and only ride (5km from home to the shop to pick it up... 175km to get it home).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    It was recently pointed out to me, by Rufus (during is test ride ), that The GOAT - Ricky Carmichael had all his motocross race bikes reduced to only 8" of suspension travel. I had never heard this before and found it very interesting.

Granted, his machine didn't weigh 400 lbs, but proper spring and hydraulic valving can account for that. I shall have to go pound my Terra harder.......where is my skid plate? The Motosportz dude has never responded to my inquiry.

HF
  11. kawagumby

kawagumby Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bet it wasn't a reduction of gross travel but effective travel. That dude is short!
  12. Bubba Bauer

Bubba Bauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry mate slight misunderstanding with the power figures I was measuring the crf to the wrr with the 5-10% power and weight difference not the terra. I would definitely trying to go on a test ride if for nothing else than to check out whats all this hype is about :D
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I hope there will be a 160kg Terra R version a 180kg Nuda XC a yamaha xt700 an honda crf700r a kawasaki klrsys a KTM light paralel twin, digitally fuel injected 2T-s whatever we dream up and the more the manufacturers fight for our money the better!<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    IMHO Sadly nothing going to happen in the near future. The japanese will not do anything in this segment other than matching the euros (if it`s not too tedious) Australia, Europe and the USA are their sidelines and the ADV bikes they sell simply doesn`t cause a blip on their corporate sales charts, while for the Euros it`s the opposite this segment and these areas are their lifeblood so every bike they push out of the door should be WAY better so someone living in OZ should`t even poke a jap bike with a shitty stick, thats another cause why I`m disappointed with this model and with the BMW s1000rr selling like hot cakes probably they`ll invest their RD money on a 600cc supersport or a 1000rr based naked KTM will building bikes for India and China so I wouldn`t wait for a ground breaking new blah blah blah ADv bike. No more rant... I promise
    People are so sensible with these bikes some screens, some bags I want some sparks from the angle grinders :evil, titanium subframes, fork and swinger swaps, ultralight wheels, rally fairings SURELY they can`t be this good that everyone leaves them stock! :lol3

Anyone who bought one congratulations and I hope you`ll enjoy riding them every minute the rest is just talking anyways.
  13. Bubba Bauer

Bubba Bauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know the bikes are new,but could someone share some thoughts about maintenance or living together like

Valve checks (access, special tools, annoying little things)
    Swing arm pivot, linkages, headstock (grease nipples, adequate factory grease, does it needs special tools etc.)
    Light bulb access, battery location, fuse access
    Does anything sticking out to harms way cable routing etc.
    Radiator and its hoses?

Or how to change preload?
    Does anything protects the rear shock does the forks weep adequate dust seals, do they stick or are they smooth?
    How do you have access to cables to oil them what sort of electrical connectors, cable routing?
    Do you have any shit fasteners which would rot after the first rain, plastic bobs patents?
    How long does it take to gain access to stuff?
    Chain adjustment?
    Sprocket change?
    Chain guides, rollers aftermarket options?
    Brake pad access rear break protection fittment options?
    Anything comming loose weeping fluids etc.?
    Special oddball screws, fastereners bits an bobs anything out of the ordinary WTF moments?
    Any water dust muck and mud in odd places where they shouldn`t be?
    Water coolant level check and access?

I`m not looking for a step by step guide just some thoughts, like it`s a total PITA to even think about doing this or that I wouldn`t leave home without a spare coolant hose or some...

Can`t think of anything else ATM,but just thoughts feelings about ownership issues...
  14. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Find another dealer. Let that guy sit on his inventory and pay flooring.

When I worked in a dealership, we only required a credit check, copy of your driver's license, and a signed liability waiver. Anyone was welcome to ride whatever they wanted.

In sales, you're not only selling a product, but, an experience, too. Some dealers need to learn that.
  15. Redclayrider

Redclayrider Long time gone

Oddometer:
    WOW :eek1 that is a lot of stuff to know about a new motorcycle. :rofl

Personally I would be worried if anyone could give you first hand impressions on most of that stuff.
  16. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    Rolled over 2k mi on the Strada today. Bike is running sweet. Very fun ride, sort of addictive. Waited for the ice to thaw until about 2pm, then headed out. Still ran into ice with a bit of elevation, but got a good ride in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Kainic

Kainic Almost there

Oddometer:
    So I am thinking of selling my 06 Dakar and pick up a TR. Is this worth the trip?
  18. TaZ9

TaZ9 Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Antenna ring"?? "EWS event"????????? Man, how Iove the simplicity of my DR650! Insert and turn key, push start button and RIDE!!
  19. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subframes are easily sorted

Those 3 are the BEST executed 600cc Dualsports that have been brought to market in the last 5 years, bar none

Great engines
    Great chassis
    Sub 160kg fuelled
    Good suspension
    Good on road and offroad, which is essentially what a Dualsport should be

Unfortunately the 650 Terra, falls well short of the mark, being too road orientated and is essentially a re-dressed BMW F650GS/Sertao/Dakar
  20. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer

Oddometer:

In that case the bike is obviously not suitable for you so don't buy one. It is however suitable for other people and many of them will buy one and have a great time riding it within the parameters that they personally set for the bike.