Any triumph 800xc owners wish they would have bought a BMW F800gs?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Big Poppa T, May 18, 2013.

1. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Obviously the Brit's believe in a more aggressive stance on the tiger. I only rolled my bars further up (pretty much all the way) and have put 8500 miles on it that way. It is a forward, elbows out, aggressive 'attack' stance. IMO you learn to ride the bike that way (as it was meant to be) or modify it to be a cruiser (or beemer LOL). Totally up to the rider.

The first half of my miles was low seat (30" inseam) then switched it up for better legroom - can still tip-toe when stopped. I move it down for 2-up due to so much weight to balance when stopped. I seem to manage okay with a load of camping gear in the high position. The rubbers in the footpegs got tossed when it was brand new.

Ummm...sitting on the seat RAISES the CG, making the bike more difficult to balance. Standing on the pegs puts your weight at peg-level. And yes, balance is the key to all of it, that and picking a line. Coming from more than 30 years of dirt experience. :evil

The XC isn't meant for plonking along on tight singletrack, although fueling is surprisingly smooth, linear. The thing is just a pig. It does really well on fast dirt 2-track. Yes, a tooth down on the counter will help on the tighter stuff quite a lot. For me, I'd rather have the top speed, 80-90 cruise.

The falling over stuff is from riding too slow. Even on the dualsports, you need to carry a little more speed on trails that the noob would think just so the rocks and bumps don't bobble you off track, also called deflection.

Sounds like you might like riding a trials bike. Consider getting one and joining your local chapter of the ATA. I spent three years doing observed trials and it's a hoot - very fun and arguably the best way to learn balance and how to pick a line through obstacles. Makes you an expert trail rider.

Frankly my TE630 is too heavy for singletrack - it's a beast. But it's more than a hundred pounds lighter than the Tiger and has full knobbies. Singletrack bikes are sub-250lbs. It's all about choosing the right tool for the job. :deal
  2. Albin

Albin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :huh

:cry I must admit.... I miss my Rocket III......
  3. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Where the weight rests upon the motorcycle has very little relationship with the CG of the rider's mass.

Standing up raises the rider's CG. It matters not if he is standing on the pegs, or floating above the seat.

What standing up DOES do for the rider is to decouple his mass from that of the bike, making it easier for the two to move independently of one another. It gives better control in many situations. It does not, however, lower the rider CG.
  4. BryanCO

BryanCO CO Rider

Oddometer:
    Yep
  5. BryanCO

BryanCO CO Rider

Oddometer:
    Like others have said - Rox Risers help tremendously. After a recent 2000 mile/5 day mixed road/dirt ride, I may change the bars also. However, I changed the bars, pegs, screen, etc on my last bike -- but I didn't change the engine. :D
  6. BryanCO

BryanCO CO Rider

Oddometer:
    Yep. Idle on for ground with original sprocket was 12 mph - now 8 mph with 15T front.

I also ride a 450X and am a decent dirt rider. It's the more extreme conditions where the gearing improvement really helps. But, the extra 'pull' on the street is also nice.
  7. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:

Well now guys, you are going all technical on me here in the sense that the total mass of weight CG is slightly higher, but you are now in a position to put that weight on one peg or the other, move it forward or back, and it makes a HUGE difference in offroad control. The OP said he was "sitting on the seat to lower his CG and paddle" through his technical terrain. I submit to you all that this is NOT the most expedient or efficient manner to ride a motorcycle offroad.

I'm just not going to argue a point that's a given in the motorcycle world so just going to move along now. :dunno

EDIT: Okay, here's a thread about CG y'all will love even though it's about five years old: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248172
  8. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    Strewth! What gearing do you get over the pond? Mine idles at a true GPS confirmed 8mph with the 16T front and I find that acceptable.
  9. blacktiger

Oddometer:
    I swapped the bars for more sweep and put on a different screen (plus a couple of grand's worth of other farkles) and I'm completely comfortable in neutral air. Everyone's different though but IMO the Tiger is the better all round bike once you get it to fit you.
    [​IMG]
  10. mmmmbeeeeer

mmmmbeeeeer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I have ROX risers on my KLR and was planning to do the same.

Looking like the 800xc is the go although had a ride on tiger explorer on Saturday and liked that too!

Btw, does anyone else think the plastic indicator switch is pretty crappy? I would have thought they could do better than that!

Cheers,

Pete
  11. blacktiger

Oddometer:
    What do you want, Gold plate? Mine still works fine after 23000 miles.
  12. mmmmbeeeeer

mmmmbeeeeer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, the switch just feels like cheap plastic not in keeping with the rest of the bike. Feels like some of the cheap toys my kids have.

Nitpicky? Sure, but if I'm spending upwards of $17k I reckon that's fair enough.

Still, I think this is my pick unless I convince myself to go for the explorer...

P
  13. blacktiger

Oddometer:
    Fair enough but plastic is plastic and a lot of the bike is covered in cheap, replaceable plastic.
    I think you'll enjoy the 800 more than the Explorer because it just does everything so well. Yes, the TEX has lots more power and is better for two up, maybe, but it's also a lot heavier and thirstier.
    Friend of mine bought one of the first Explorers and had problems with it so it went back to Triumph. He now has an 800XC and said the other day that he's really happy with it.
  14. mmmmbeeeeer

mmmmbeeeeer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's good to hear - I was pretty sure that the 800 was a better choice being lighter and more dirt-worthy. I'm sure that the TEX would be an awesome tourer, but I do want to do a reasonable amount of off-road riding.

Cheers
  15. blacktiger

Oddometer:
    Oh, it does dirt pretty well.
    [​IMG]

It takes you to nice places for nice photos
    [​IMG]

Then this happens turning round!
    [​IMG]
  16. mmmmbeeeeer

mmmmbeeeeer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Obviously it was just a little tired from riding up that hill - just needed a little rest... :evil
  17. murph76

murph76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    f800gs is the real deal......everything else is a top heavy road oriented clone
  18. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    And he's already banned.

Somehow I think that the above poster shit on a bunch of threads. :lol3
  19. blacktiger

Oddometer:
    Poor misguided fool.
  20. Bugchewer

Bugchewer Piece of Work

Oddometer:
    WNY hills of Wyoming County, maple syrup & cheese!
    I traded my 1050 for an 800 XC. My buddy traded his 1050 for a TEX. Well, he wishes he had the 800 XC. He LOVES the torque of the TEX but after coming back from a trip on some very quick twisties he wishes he had a lighter bike. The 800 XC has plenty of power and is nimble enough to take you off the beaten path some.

To each his own. I thought I would miss my 1050, I don't but for the type of riding I like the 800 XC is perfect. I suspect there will be an 800 XC in my friend's garage next year and someone will aslo end up very happy with his TEX.