Trans-Mass Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Hulked Up, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Hulked Up

Hulked Up Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe Sunday is better, or just cancel for this weekend.
  2. Earthscape

Earthscape Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer:
    I think a lot of the fun will be sogged away this weekend. There will be much more enjoyable weekends to go. Radar shows unpleasantness moving through New York now. Of course, I only speak for myself.

The highest point on the TMT, rather ironically, is a little ways after where the big washout was, on Curtin Road in Peru - just about 2,000 ft elevation. Right next door to Worthington. The same forecast though. I really enjoy riding in that area around dusk - fantastic sunsets. Just watch out for Moose that don't want to leave the road (Curtin Road), and aren't afraid of pidly humans on motorcycles. That's a lot less fun than it sounds.
  3. alcontrast

alcontrast at least I'm trying

Oddometer:
    I was holding off on a decision since the weather seemed questionable. Now I'm leaning heavily towards heading north some other weekend. I will ride in some cold, I will ride in some rain; but I've ridden a few times in cold rain or snow and that's just not much fun at all... It does make for an adventure though.
  4. Earthscape

Earthscape Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer:
    For those yet to make a decision, I can offer you the weather where I am, which is just a few miles east of the TMT, near where it crosses the Turnpike.
    It's 35 degrees out and snowing at the moment.
  5. Hulked Up

Oddometer:
    3 of us went out Sunday instead. We hit some local roads in the southern hill towns. All the roads were in excellent condition. We did one section of the Trans-Mass and had no issues. We'll have to schedule this ride again.
  6. Lineinspjfk

Lineinspjfk Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. ADVRKD

ADVRKD Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    Nice day on the TMT Friday.

[​IMG]
  8. ride.climb.dream

ride.climb.dream adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey All.

Shooting to give the TMT a go in a week or so... looks super fun. im a no-gps-girl, sticking to maps and notes and roll chart. does anybody have the route information in a format i can use?? ive read through the whole thread and didnt find anything- unless i missed something. any info would be really appreciated!!

Thanks!
  9. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    None that I know of. Go GPS....it'll set you free--and open doors, not close them. Drink the kook aid :)
  10. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:
    MoBill is right, it'll open doors.

I'll offer you a workaround though. It can get a bit laborious. You can open that file in Google Earth. You can then follow path and highlight it on something like a Gazetteer.
  11. Hulked Up

Oddometer:
  12. ride.climb.dream

Oddometer:
    Thanks intothenew... could you explain how i open the .gpx file in google earth?? i downloaded the .gpx file but my computer will not allow me to open it. i dont mind the laborious part, just not sure where to start. thanks for the info!
  13. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:

This has worked for me in the past...

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
  14. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:

Hulked Up has got ya covered, if you'll follow that link.

But, soes ya know:

Go to file in the upper left corner of GE. Pick "Open". A directory window will come up. In the bottom right corner there is a drop down menu. Pick "All Files". Then navigate to where the .gpx file is stored.

Could take a while for it to load, depending on your bandwidth.
  15. MoBill

Oddometer:
    Shhhh....GPS Kool-Aid = yum

Price of admission...<200

16. ride.climb.dream

Oddometer:
    This is Awesome... exactly what i was looking for. Thanks!!
  17. ride.climb.dream

Oddometer:

Thanks so much for the explanation!! ill give it a whirl later on.
  18. ride.climb.dream

Oddometer:
    hahaha! we'll see... maybe i try it one day. its the principle, not the price!
  19. ride.climb.dream

Oddometer:
  20. MoBill

Oddometer:
    If it's the principle then get off your computer and get posting with a reed and some papyrus----kidding, kidding...really...it will open doors.

It's not "new fangled" it's not a replacement for a map. I believe you need to be able to go from "digital to analog to digital". Map recon: digital, route planning: digital, route execution: analog and digital, route navigation: digital (with some "situational awareness" big picture stuff

Mapsource, Google Earth and other like programs allow you to retain the ability to print:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

But during the ride, you've got that, but really--the GPS will allow folks to share routes with you that you could never see.

Do this....download mapsource, get a shared route like TET-S, TET-NJ, TWVT (YES!!) or TMAT...and then just look at it in Mapsource.

I've seen places in America I would NEVER have gotten to see without it, wouldn't have known they were even there...at least think about the ability to view without conversion...
    [​IMG]

sorry for the hijack :D