2014 Honda CTX700 Threadfest

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by HondaFanatic, Feb 6, 2013.

1. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:

The forward controls would be my biggest (and actually only) reason for buying it. But I agree, having both available would make it appeal to a much wider market. Sportsters can be set up with either. I don't know if Honda's design would allow that or not.
  2. HondaFanatic

HondaFanatic To Ride Is To Live

Oddometer:
    I don't know, buddy. You might surprise yourself. I've talked to a lot of "converts" at our local dealership. Every one of them went in skeptical of the new design 700 motor, but are true believers now. The NC700X crowd seems to love this torquey, low revving, high MPG little engine. As do the magazines, insurance companies, and everyone else :ricky

Plus there's no better looking new bike on the planet for less than $7000

[​IMG]
  3. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    i'm looking at downgrading my aprilia mana 850 gt to the naked version of this bike, just because the riding position on the mana still puts a little too much weight on my poor carpal tunnel trashed hands. (this is why i favor cvt/dct rides -- even three sugeries later, flexing for long periods of time causes quite a bit of distracting hurt.) supposedly, they'll be in dealerships in early may -- i put some money on a pre-order so i can least be the first to test ride one when it comes in.

it's gonna be a tough call. the mana is a glorious ride with 76 hp and is about as technically satisfying a ride as you can get on an auto. (on the other hand, 30-40 mpg. :-\) however, the forward controls on the ctx700 will give my poor fucked up hands a break and maybe i can ride for longer than a couple hours without the cramps making me stop for 30 mins to an hour with a half a jug of advil...
  4. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    Will it be possible to get a demo ride of this in the USA?

Does Honda still do demos here? When I search their website I see demo dealers listed for Goldwing and VFR, but nothing about a traveling demo fleet for example.
  5. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    talked to lake city powersports in seattle: they expect both the naked and faired ctx700 models in the week of june 3rd at the latest. interest in it is good, but they don't expect it to get popular until honda busts out more info/advertsing in the youth/n00b markets. the nc700x had more interest at the same time in its prelaunch period.
  6. bobobob

bobobob IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Oddometer:
    Yep.
    Manufacturers have huge margins on accessories, not so much on the bikes themselves.
    You'll always do better negotiating on the accessories where they have more room to bargain.
  7. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    That picture clearly shows the "proper" riding position of the CTX. You sit upright, not bent over, and the bars come back to meet your arms. Your weight is on the seat, not the bars (and your arms) You do not have to bend your neck to see where you are going. Your feet are out front, your legs are not all scrunched up underneath you, which causes serious leg cramps for me. There are no pressure points on this bike. I hope someone sells a riders backrest for it. I think Protac is pretty much out of business. I would strap something to the back part of the seat to lean against before buying a $500 seat with a built in backrest. With back support, it would be just like riding an easy chair down the road. A perfect solo touring bike.
  8. Maytag Repairman

Maytag Repairman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the other side of the Puget Sound, my wife and I stopped by at brothers powersports to put in her name for when they come in. Just a generic "probably some time in May". Out of curiosity I asked about the CB1100F. They had pre-sold the first two and the third was expected this week.

I had bought their first NC700x (a DCT model). Sadly they still had a left over NC700x in the corner (manual shift).
  9. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life!

Oddometer:
    Really like the looks of the N but also the idea of a fairing. From the pics the Honda fairing looks kinda bulky IMO. Maybe when I see it, it will look better.

In any event, anyone have any idea if
    1) the Honda fairing can be fitted post purchase? On the N?
    2) there are aftermarket fairings available ?
  10. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    still lovin' it!

[​IMG]
  11. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    I asked this question in the Bolt thread, and I thought I might ask it here too.

ok I know there aren't many people that would cross shop these two, but I wonder how the Bolt would compare to the Honda CTX700? For me, the Bolt would need the R-spec shocks, black paint, brown saddle and saddle bags, tall handlebars and tall sissy bar and passenger accomodations. Even an old fat man might get lucky if he had one of these. :lol3

The CTX would need to be the touring version, also farkled out with the fairing and tall w/s, hard bags, passenger backrest and luggage rack. And don't forget DCT/ABS.

I have no idea how they might compare on performance, I would think the Bolt would be quicker leaving a stop light. The Honda would have better suspension and better handling, and would be a better commuter and long distance bike. The Bolt on the other hand, oozes cool and would probably be more fun to ride, at least for short distances.
  12. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Personally, I wouldn't want a Bolt. Looks too much like a Japanese rendition of a Sportster. Rather have the original. The CTX is a horse of a different color. It's not trying to copy another company's model, and except for the black cover at the front of the muffler, it looks good, especially the naked version.

Don't normally like riding with forwards, but would have to at least sit on the CTX before making a determination as to whether I could ride it comfortably...
  13. Podman

Podman Rocketman Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just want a CTX with that VFR V4 and DCT:rofl That would not make any sense for Honda:evil
  14. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    How is it that of 5 New bikes that I'm cross shopping, 4 of them are Hondas?

Looking at the Ninja 300, CBR 500, CB500x, NC700x and now the CTX.

If you would have told me 2 years ago about that I would have wondered what drugs you were on.
  15. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    decided to preorder a ctx700n with dct. arrives june 1, supposedly! i wanted it in red, but the naked ctx with dct only comes in black :-(
  16. dirtdreamer50

Oddometer:
    Hope it works out great for you. I can't imagine riding an automatic transmission motorcycle. Playing with the gears is one reason I ride. I would like to try one and see the difference , if any, it makes in the ride.

Did you negotiate a selling price or will that come about when the bike arrives?

BTW, the N looks great in Black...tp
  17. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    i'm three surgeries for carpal tunnel down on my left hand, so i'm runnng out of options... :cry

i can handle a gentle clutch like the ninja 250's for an hour or two, but i'll still be in pain for the better part of the day after that.

edit: no price negotiated except a trade-in price on my mana 850 gt and some paperwork waving the freight charge as part of the deal we cut on my wife's scooter (i'm sorta-friends with the dealer; or, i'm at least a reliably fleecable regular ;-) )
  18. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    man, i don't like that fairing. it makes it look like a dn-01 redux, or a mini nu-goldwing. i kinda wanted the touring model, but the fairing kept turnin' me off. i'll just get a nice big windscreen for the ctx700n.
  19. dirtdreamer50

Oddometer:
    I still think Honda was going for the sharknose Road Glide look with that fairing.
    The NT700V looks more like what Honda normally does. The CTX fairing looks better from the front or the angle in that pic, instead of a full side shot. Too much similar to a VStrom or Versys look.
  20. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if this is the same engine that the Honda Acura 700 scooter uses overseas?