Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
    Based on your first post I didn't think you knew how to adjust or maintain a chain either.
  2. clax

clax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not entirely certain how you are coming to this conclusion. Because the shop tightened my chain, while I was having the pannier bracket welded? I don't get it. So anyone that has ever had their chain adjusted by a mechanic doesnt know how to do it themselves? Btw, I helped the mechanic do it!

Ciao,
    Clay
  3. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Exactly what I was basing my comment on. I also got the impression that Clay thought Triumph somehow had responsibility for the cracked case due to the chain being loose and coming off since a mechanic at a Triumph dealer had last adjusted it. If I have that wrong, I apologize....but that's what I read into Clay's comments.
  4. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    You were not very clear at all - you mentioned the chain first and then said you 'also' had other things done at the shop. That to me (and others it seems) indicates the main purpose of the visit was to have the chain tightened. If you know how to do it, why let the shop even touch it ?

It may just be a language thing, I have no idea....
  5. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    OMG :eek1

:rofl :lol3 :D
  6. gallowaystx

gallowaystx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Obviously the dealer in Colombia either a) mistakenly thought the chain would last or b) screwed you (more likely - based on the other things you mentioned that he neglected)

But either way - triumph and I will both argue that it is your responsibility to double check the dealer's work and take it up with them before you leave the shop. If you suspected the chain was near the end of it's life it would have been prudent to INSIST on a new chain before you rode another 10k km into the hearth of south america and/or bought a replacement chain to take along with you.

That said - total lack of response, even if to tell you to get lost - is inexcusable from a brand that claims to be manufacturing adventure bikes.

If they are serious about us taking these things far and wide they really need to go above and beyond (at this stage in the game) to coddle their riders in order to prevent them from defecting back to the "other" brand.

GL with everything - I wish you plain sailing from here on out and I am happy to hear that your parts are finally there. Keep us updated on your progress for the rest of your trip. Is there a RR?
  7. rustynut2

rustynut2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back to the bike for a bit. Looking at the 800xc myself and wondering how it is on the highway, is it spooled up or just happy. RPMs at 60, 70 and 80 would be nice.
  8. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't pay attention to these guys. They're just pissed that you're off riding in South America and they're sitting behind a computer:lol3
    clax likes this.
  9. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    It is just fine cruising at 80 on the highway. Allegedly. So I'm told :D
  10. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    It's just a fantastic road bike. At 6K it's running right about 80. Road gearing is great. Offroad, first is a bit tall. But for a heavy DS it works fine.

I initially thought I would get the T800 roadie with tubeless tires and cast wheels. But all reports said the XC was just as good on road so went for the plusher suspension and 21" front wheel. Soooooo glad I did. It's a wonderful machine. If I didn't know better I would have thought a road bike was supposed to be built this way. :D

Off pavement it just tractors over everything.
  11. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Sections of I-15 in Utah are posted 80 MPH limit. I'm sure that is where you were. :wink:
  12. T

T --------------

Oddometer:
    Yeah you're right.

Wait a minute, He says he's in La Paz. Weather report for today- 57f cloudy/rainy tonight-29f with snow showers.

No thanks,I'll keep my 89f and humid....
  13. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Exactly where I was (definitely not in Vermont...nosireee) :lol3
  14. gallowaystx

gallowaystx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is actually true :cry
  15. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input on chain oilers guys. I am coming from the perspective of having done 100% of my touring on bikes with driveshafts so chains are a bit of a new area for me.

Yes, I am thinking about an 800 XC to use on Texas dirt and gravel roads and some other roads that I want to explore around the border in Mexico that I presume are a similar construction. Gravel, dust, and sand.

If you don't use oil what do you suggest?
  16. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Never understood the fascination with oiling chains when modern O and X-ring chains are sealed units. Sure, oil them to stop rust on the outside but aside from that, they don't need oiling as much as folks think they do.

As for Scottoilers - unless you live in a really really wet environment like, say, England, I just don't see the need plus they are very messy and a PIA to set up.

YMMV :freaky
  17. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
  18. jphish

jphish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me too - better for our wet weather.
  19. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
  20. T

T --------------

Oddometer:
    Also comes in a non-aerosol bottle for those trips where you don't want an aerosol can in the luggage....

[​IMG]