KLR650 around the world with passenger

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by globalklr650, Dec 14, 2012.

1. globalklr650

globalklr650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fatallybitten,

Thanks for the support.

I hope a can find a good suspension solution.

For the subframe bolt i got an engine guard that mounts to that subframe bolt and mike said he thinks its nice and strong. Does anyone know of the bottom arm of the subframe failing? The bolt on one side vibrated out on me once and the whole think got really bendy. I got a bolt and the hardware store and cut it to length to makes sure it didn't hit the chain.
  2. AtlasExp

AtlasExp beer me

Oddometer:
  3. Scott of the Sahara

Scott of the Sahara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a thought...
    When you are replacing the chain and sprocket. Be careful how you adjust it. Too much tension will really screw up the seals for the front sprocket. Then you will be using lots of oil.
    Good luck to you on your continued journeys.
  4. globalklr650

Oddometer:
    Scott good advice with the chain. I find it much easier to check the chain slack all the way around with a center stand.

Today I made a big parts order from Rocky mountain atv mc. After these parts I should be set for lots of adventure going into mexico and further south. I got shinko 705 tires, new cheap primary drive chain and sprocket (i hope they are good), a uni filter and spray oil ( i will try washing it with dish soap), all balls front and rear wheel bearing (i hope i can replace them myself without special tools)

130/80-17 (65H) Shinko 705 Rear Dual Sport Motorcycle Tire - 2011 Kawasaki KLR650
    $57.99
    $57.99
    90/90-21 (54H) Shinko 705 Front Dual Sport Motorcycle Tire - 2011 Kawasaki KLR650 (Front)
    $49.99
    $49.99
    These Items Are In The Process Of Being Shipped:
    Uni Air Filter - 2011 Kawasaki KLR650
    $18.99
    $18.99
    Primary Drive Steel Kit & O-Ring Chain - 2011 Kawasaki KLR650
    $72.99
    $72.99
    Primary Drive 520 RDO O-Ring Chain 520x106 (1 per pkg.)
    $0.00
    $0.00
    Primary Drive Front Sprocket 15 Tooth (1 per pkg.)
    $0.00
    $0.00
    Primary Drive Rear Steel Sprocket 43 Tooth (1 per pkg.)
    $0.00
    $0.00
    Maxima Chain Wax 13.5 oz.
    $7.99
    $7.99
    All Balls Wheel Bearing Kit - 2011 Kawasaki KLR650 (Rear)
    $13.99
    $13.99
    All Balls Wheel Bearing Kit - 2011 Kawasaki KLR650 (Front)
    $15.99
    $15.99
    Uni Foam Filter Oil 5.5 oz. Aerosol
    $7.99
    $7.99
    CrampBuster Cruise Assist Standard 1 1/8"
    $9.99
    $9.99
    Motion Pro Bead Popper
    $15.99
    $15.99
    Subtotal: $271.90
    Tax: $0.00
    Shipping: $Free!
    Disposal: $0.00
    Gift Wrapping: $0.00
    Payment: $271.90 (CC)
    Total: $271.90
  5. Old Kiwi#99

Old Kiwi#99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While you have the bike in pieces, greasing the rear suspension linkages is advised. At the factory they use about a teaspoon full of grease spread among all the bearings. A long term fix is to put in grease nipples but not essential if you don't mind pulling it all apart now and then.

There are a couple of holes in the lower frame where the long bolt goes through (the bolt behind the plastic caps adjacent to the footrests). I'm not sure of the intended purpose for these holes but they sure do let water in, and once this bolt corrodes into place it can be a hell of a job getting it out.

http://www.klr650.marknet.us/Swingarm_Maint.pdf refers to the Gen 1 bikes but it's pretty much the same with the Gen 2s

Pete (in New Zealand, watching your ride with interest and envy)
  6. globalklr650

Oddometer:
    Kiwi i will try and grease the swing arm.

Yesterday I got my parts i ordered. I love getting inexpensive bike parts online. We will try and do this in other countries to save money. It should be a long time till i need new parts. I am going to drive a couple of hundred kilometer into the desert and back for a new years part with some off road bmw riders. Then when I get back the first week of January I will install the parts and head to Mexico.

[​IMG]
  7. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get a heavier spring and a rear shock rebuild kit and some front fork seals. You have quite the load there. I think this would take some of your worries away. :deal
  8. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you get to Central America and south the roads can be pretty rough in places. In Mexico the roads are usually pretty good if you stay on the main highways, I do not know your route but you will come upon a lot of topes (Speed Bumps) and I mean alot. They sometimes come out of nowhere. It is a lot easier to get what you need or done here in the US and cheaper too. Labor is cheaper but parts are a lot more expensive. At the least get a heavier spring with your load i don't think you are going to have to worry about excessive pogo effect.
  9. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude an eleven hundred pound KLR:lol3 you are going to become a legend.:lol3
  10. globalklr650

Oddometer:
    OB

I am doing the chain/sprockets and tires. i don't think i will have enough time for the shocks. I am trying to find a way to get it done.

I am actually surprised that the bike has made it this far with some of the crazy roads we ride on.

Thanks for the advice and please keep following our adventure.
  11. globalklr650

Oddometer:
    It looks like we have a couchsurfing host in Ensenada for the end of next week.

Looks like its time to travel into Mexico. I am looking forward to more adventurous travel.
  12. globalklr650

Oddometer:
    I am getting a hand installing the trail master tires and the chain/sprocket today. I am just going to drive to someone's house with all my parts and he is going to get me a hand.

[​IMG]

So many people are helping us our on the trip its really amazing. I can do this myself with the travel tools but it takes about 3 hours per tire. The only thing i am worried about is balancing. Has anyone ever statically balanced a tire on the axil? If i take the brake off is the friction low enough on the axil using the wheel bearings? What happens with a badly balanced front or back tire? Can i use car tire balancers in Mexico?
  13. Old Kiwi#99

Old Kiwi#99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At the speeds you're (probably) riding at, balance is not going to be a huge concern. On the tire sidewall there should be a coloured spot - this should align with the air valve when the tire is mounted on the rim. Do this and the balance will be pretty close.
    (however if you are using rimlocks then balance will definitely be an issue, unless you use two rimlocks 180 degrees apart)

If you do want to balance, car weights are fine if you an find some way of making them stay in place. You could use the adhesive backed strip that is used to balance alloy (car) wheels. Another method is to use strip solder, wrapped around the spoke and tape over it.
    (Edit) I didn't understand you meant that "could you use a car tire balancing machine" (in Mexico) - I've never seen an automotive wheel balancer that will take a bike wheel, but that doesn't mean they don't exist)
  14. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    I can generally get it pretty close by just setting the assembly with axle on jack stands.
    You could do it on the bike too, just remove brakes and remove grease and apply thin spray oil so wheel rotates nicely.I use auto sticky weights.
    Just move wheel in different spots then let go and see if it stays there.If it keeps rolling around to a heavy spot then temporarily tape weight across from it till you find the right amount, then permanently stick it down.
    [​IMG]
  15. ShaneBaby

ShaneBaby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brilliant thread my bro, please keep us posted on all your thoughts political or not. I too wish to undertake a ride like yours after taking my time riding through Vietnam by myself. And Im here in Australia saving for this trip of a lifetime, Hope to catch you some where along the way KLR would be my choice too, Place to stay in Invercargil NZ for you or Brisbane when you get here
  16. globalklr650

Oddometer:
    Last post from the USA. We will be riding into Mexico for new adventures in 2 hours. Stay tuned for more posts and pictures.

Thanks guys for the balancing info. The shinko trailmaster are on front and back and balanced. I did 140km/h on the hiway and no extra vibration. I am concerned though because it took 14, 7 gram weights on the rear across from the valve to balance it. I have never seen this much weight an a motorcycle rim. Usually i see 2 or 5 or something. The mark in the tire and valve were at the same spot so i thought maybe it marks the heavy spot instead? I always thought it was the light spot.

Shanebaby thanks for your support. Some of my views will make it here but the facebook page is more for that. This will focus more on motorcycle travel. When we get to your part of the planet in the next few years it would be great to meet up. I found that traveling is the best for me when money is really short. The over planning and over saving money for me is the worst. Once you travel it all falls into place and the bad is just part of the adventure and is great to overcome.

[​IMG]
  17. seetomgo

seetomgo Lurking since '08

Oddometer:
    what an epic trip...as with just about everyone else here i am envious. hit me up if your trip brings you near new orleans once you're back in the states and need anything.

do you think i come here to listen to whining about what people put on their fb pages? :cry
  18. globalklr650

Oddometer:
    We are in Ensenada and everything is going great. Just the surprise of a $400 deposit on the bike that we get back when we leave Mexico was not great because that is a big chunk of pur money. The roads are also pretty bad but the shock is doing good so far.

I just left the bike on the sidewalk as we went to go eat. Hope all the stuff is still there. We went into a convenience store looking for food but didn't find anything good. we left out and asked what we were looking for. We said food and he gave us directions to a restaurant. As we were leave leaving he ask if we needed anything else like weed or cocaine. Wow thats scary.

[​IMG]and walked down the street. This guy ran
  19. klr_couple

klr_couple n00b

Oddometer:
    Seen your ride report and upgrades to the KLR, wife and I both have Gen1 KLR's and with proper regular maintenance ( just like anything) it will carry the two of you far.
    Keep up the RR
  20. RsZk

RsZk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! Good luck to you both in your journey both outwards and inwards! :clap
    Keep safe!