The Great Big SPOT Thread

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by John E Davies, Nov 6, 2007.

1. jimrobinette

jimrobinette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Makes it a lot easier for the wife to follow me while she is away from the computer and I am out in the desert.

2. rhicks

rhicks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought it this morning for $2.99 and have been playing with it. So far it looks useful. Just remember if you password protect your shared page that the app wants to use an upper case letter when you type in the password. It doesn't tell you the password is invalid it just shows no gps data.
    I normally don't buy App store apps but this one, for $2.99, looks like a good buy.
  3. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    cool, I'm sure I'll end up buying it.
  4. SPOTSharedPageMobile

SPOTSharedPageMobile n00b

Oddometer:
    rhicks.. thanks for the note about the First letter problem on the password protected page. I'll get that fixed for the next release.

Let me know if there are other features that might be useful or if there are any particular issues that you are facing.
  5. rhicks

rhicks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the day I was playing with the app it worked great. Well worth the purchase. I've sent the SPOT back for the recall so who knows when I'll get the replacement back. Once I get the replacement, I'll give the app a workout.
  6. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer:
    I'll have to check at the PO Box for my shipping envelope. I sure hope they replace my NEW SPOT with a NEW SPOT. If they send me back a rehab unit (per the letter), there will be hell to pay.:huh
    I'm with you guys. I'll be adding on the delivery confirmation as well. :D
  7. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Picked up the envelope today. How the heck did you guys fit your SPOT2 in that thing?? :eek1
    Might as well put the mailing label on the SPOT itself.:huh
  8. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It fit just fine for me. Plus a delivery confirmation sticker went on as well and the unit has been received in Louisiana just 2 days after mailing from Seattle.

9. boatworker

boatworker Slow Old Guy

Oddometer:
    I am concerned about the delivery confirmation also. How did you arrange this?

Thanks,
  10. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the US, one just goes to the post office, fills out a delivery confirmation form, pays $0.80 I believe in additional postage, and you have a way of tracking the package and proving it got there.

11. Tudelum48

Tudelum48 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the Spot 2's from REI or anyone have the problems resolved already. Kind of wanting one but not going to buy until the problems are gone.
  12. Becktastic

Becktastic Bonzai Becky

Oddometer:
    This sucks. I was so excited about getting my Spot for Xmas and then I couldn't activate it because of the recall. :waysad

I filled out the recall stuff on the 6th and haven't received my packaging yet.

I really need a new unit for March. I want to go on a spring break adventure and being a solo female newbie rider, the Spot would give me (and my poor mother) a nice sense of security.

I'm so peeved about this. :dog
  13. NoDirt4Me

NoDirt4Me Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wish I'd of thought of doing the delivery confirm. I was so excited to finally get the return package that I dropped SPOT into the envelope and took it to the post office the same day. Now you guys will have me worrying until SPOT - hopefully - comes home.
  14. Tudelum48

Oddometer:
    I just contacted REI and they said that there units have been updated with no defects. Can anyone else verify this?
  15. boatworker

boatworker Slow Old Guy

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Timmer. I was not aware that you could do this.
  16. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    As far as I know no new/corrected SPoT II units have shipped yet. So whoever you spoke to at REI is either ignorant or worse... :wink:

Unless of course they only have SPoT I to sell, in which case it's safe to buy one.

I'm sure if the updated units were shipping SPoT would say that on the FindMeSpot site.
  17. LongCliff

LongCliff Bagger

Oddometer:
    You and I are in the same boat. I filled out the recall stuff about the same time as you.

I did just get an email from spot saying the return packaging should arrive soon, but haven't seen it yet.

Very frustrating! I better get it back before it warms up outside.
  18. Tudelum48

Oddometer:
    It was an online chat with REI. And when I asked if the units were the updates ones because of the recall issues. The line went (please wait) like she was checking? Came back online after about 2 minutes and said they were OK.

19. boatworker

boatworker Slow Old Guy

Oddometer:
    The only way to know for sure is to buy one and try to activate it.
  20. NoDirt4Me

NoDirt4Me Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To add to the irony, I got the email a week after I got the return packaging...