The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. TH

TH There and Here

Oddometer:
    During my rides, granted they haven't been as "extreme" as yours, but I have only bottomed out my forks once. It was a pretty decent pot hole in a forest road. It didn't seem that big, compared to some of the other holes we went through that night. That was with stock springs and wheel.
  2. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    My springs are harder than OEM
    The ST suspension is 190mm long but I don’t know if there is any mechanic or hydraulic system who stops the fork before it hits the end. And if there is what is the space it leaves…

Does anybody know? :ear:ear:ear:ear:ear:ear:ear:ear
  3. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:

If you were first trying to determine your maximum travel by unscrewing the fork caps and just letting the forks slide down to the bottom then you will not get an accurate assessment of the actual travel. The fork has to be fully assembled, with springs, etc., and then you have to "pull" it down, much like you have with the straps. Usually this measurement will be as much as an inch less as one taken with the forks semi-disassembled. Few forks I am aware of these days use any sort of bottoming "cone" like the old damper rod forks, yet some actually have bottoming "bumpers", much like a shock, but looking at the parts diagram of the Super Ténéré fork it doesn't appear it's one of them. In fact, internally it looks like most upside-down sportbike forks around these days, and from my experience that means the springs run into coil-bind as the fork bottoms out.

BTW, using different springs, particularly if they are of different wire gauge thickness or are wound with more or less coils than stock, can significantly change when this coil-bind occurs. Again, the only way to find out is to fully assemble the fork and "pull" it down until it well and truly bottoms.

One thing, you can make it a lot easier on yourself to check for this point of coil-bind if you pull the forks, drain out the fork oil, then re-install the forks and check the travel. With oil in the forks there is less air-space above the oil and this acts as a spring, but a very progressive one, and as you get close to maximum travel it can get *VERY* stiff. So stff that some fork makers actually use this as their bottoming stop in sense, specifying fork oil height/air volumes that literally bring the fork close to hydraulic "lock" just prior to spring coil-bind.

But this can be your friend if you start to run into clearance problems, that is if you can live with the near full-stroke harshness... That is, if you are bottoming out and using the forks full travel to coil-bind and hitting your header pipes or skid plate with the 21" wheel, you can raise the fork oil height in the tube. This will effectively *stiffen* the spring rate throughout the fork travel, but will really spike it near full-stroke... If you want you can keep raising the fork oil level until there is literally no way the wheel can hit anything. Only problem is you may not be getting all the travel the fork has to offer and the ride will be much more harsh through the stroke of the forks.

Hope this helps.

Dallara

~
  4. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    It helps A LOT!! :clap:clap

As you can see in the pics before I compressed the fork with straps to the maximum I could and it was 34mm left, so if I understood your comments this must be approximately the maximum fork travel with my settings (springs, oil, etc.)

Thank you very much Dallara! :beer
  5. Thagua

Thagua Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer:
    Hola Jaumev ... I have done the upgrade to 21" on the front modifying the front fender and making the suspension more stiff on the last inches before bottoming with the Wilbers progressive springs.
    Saludos,
    Roberto
    PS.- Remember that I am one step ahead of all innovations :evil
  6. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're right. None of us saw that trailer coming.:huh

How's the Tenere trike kit turning out???? Opps, I hope I didn't mention that too soon.
  7. Thagua

Oddometer:
    After your kind remarks and help with links my trailer has been cut 32 inches shorter to use it as a baggage trailer .. I am now considering a double wheel trailer as shown on the following picture... and thanks again to all who contribute with ideas to improve our great bikes ... although mine is the BLACK PEARL 'Super World Crosser'
    [​IMG]
    Cheers,
    Roberto
  8. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:

No problem, Jaumev.

Happy to be of any assitance... Especially to someone like you who has contributed so many fine ride videos and pictures of the Super Ténére´out there off-road. :clap

One note... I just went out and checked my fork travel indicators (small cable tie around each fork tube) on my own Super Ténéré, and my forks hit full travel with an indicated 25mm from axle carrier casting to the dust cap slider limit at the upper edge of the cable tie. That's in actual riding. Though I haven't ridden in any off-road sections as technical and extreme as you have, I do ride fairly hard and have bottomed my forks regularly (as should be the case).

Note this is traveling more than the 34mm you seem to be getting in your pics.

Just for the record, my bike has the full Stoltec mods (stiffer, custom-wound, heavy spring wire front springs, Penske valving, etc.) to the forks, and as such might actually have slightly more usable travel than stock since Nick at Stoltec says the springs he uses have a much more *open* wind to avoid coil-bind so early. With his mods the forks are much smoother in operation as well as more compliant than stock, yet with much more control and precision... None of the indistinct "hobby-horsing" (excessive fore-and-aft pitching) that the stock set-up exhibited. They also smoothly bottom out, with none of the harsh "slamming into a hydraulic-lock stop" feeling of the stocker.

That said, again my fork travel is nearly a half-inch more than your "test bench" travel so you might want to go take another look.

Just FYI...

Dallara

~
  9. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hola Roberto!

I know! You and Wasp where my inspiration to the conversion! Many thanks to be the first to show us the way. :clap
    My BM springs are harder than the OEM so I hope they help to no to arrive to the end of the fork travel.

I remember all your innovations.... also the ones I never must do (the trailer) :lol3:lol3

Cheers!
  10. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was my contribution to keep pete quiet :lol3

Probably I can go a little further than the 34mm but I was afraid the straps broke, I did lot of power…. I don’t know if my springs can be the reason to that difference.
    Anyway, the bike is finished and Saturday is going to be the great day… I’m really anxious to try it, it looks sooooo god!

Many thanks again! :beer

[​IMG]
  11. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Received!!

:thumb
  13. wolftrax

wolftrax Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lookin good, your going to love the 21"er!!!:clap:clap:clap
  14. Thagua

Oddometer:
    Hola Javier ... Protect your forks ... for the lower use those sponge type covers (Acerbis) and for the upper, italian manufacturer Pro Grip makes a slip on carbon protection.
    Saludos,
    Roberto
  15. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl

"can I put more than 5Kg on the back of the Tenere? Will it break? Can it take it?"

[​IMG]

From Barrel over at YST.
  16. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
    Of course it can. As I understand it you can also do motocross with it on too. Gonna be messy when you fall off though.
  17. numbaphive

numbaphive not quite rite

Oddometer:

Looks like you're almost there dude, just one thing left to get....it even has twin pipes ;)

[​IMG]
  18. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pluric, you need some lessons from this guy...

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hjYh24MwYew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  19. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bad idea.

Those things are always loosing front wheels.
  20. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:

I'd rather..........

[​IMG]