Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bike got crashed, insurance paid.
  2. airdale7

airdale7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What I meant to say is...what is this...----->FYYFF<----- ???
    the abreviation for something...
  3. larrylarry75

larrylarry75 Aye Chihuahua

Oddometer:

Hey Guys,

I'm back in the US after a fast ride last week to Mexico to do the "returno" paperwork thing. Once I located the place south of Nogales it was super easy in spite of my total lack of Spanish. Now that that's out of the way I think I'll sell the Garmin Data Card for Mexico (City Nav Mexico NT) as well as my 2012 Mexico Road Atlas "Por Las Carreteras Mexico". I've also got a new unused big honkin Spanish dictionary plus a Lonely Planet Mexican Spanish phrase book. There are a couple of other items that would help round out the package for anyone thinking about riding south, another book or two plus electronic money conversion calculator. I know none of you regulars would have any need for these items but maybe you know someone who might? I expect to be home in a couple of days and if I don't hear from anyone I'll post an Ad in the for-sale section.

Thanks again to all of you who gave me good advice and directions.

LL75
  4. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    google and ye shall find
  5. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    www.acronymfinder.com

(Although technically it's an initialism, not an acronym)
  6. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Glad it worked out. Come back for another visit.
  7. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey MikeMan ., I got an offer of 2k for the whole bike as is and Im asking 200 for the sargent seat I thought of the F700 but honestly I become easily seduced by the throttle of this bikes so Im going to stick to the R1200 gs let me know if interesed I can drop the stuff somewhrer in SA
  8. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    If she's coming towards you it'd be camel-toe, right? :rofl
  9. MysteryRider

MysteryRider Laughing at danger

Oddometer:
    Rain suit maybe?:clap

Sorry, couldn´t resist.:D
  10. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Smart guy, eh?
    All that dressing in rubber is so Clinton era.:evil

Seriously, Bato, I was looking to pick up some things like the fuel pressure controller, crank sensor, etc... That seat will be a very good bargain for someone.
    I went the Airhawk route so I am ok there. So are you going to go back to a KLR or is that MultiStrada suddenly getting a whole lot more likeable????
    Probably get a good deal on a 2012 model right now, or maybe a Stelvio? Luigi is building some very nice bikes these days.
  11. Road Dust

Road Dust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got this from an unofficial source. Anyone else heard if this is accurate or not? Know that it has been around for a while now.

Starting October 18 or 19 all Motorcyclists will pay 50% less than a
    regular car on ALL toll roads of the Republic
  12. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll probably be heading down into the Sierra Fria on the Veracruz/Puebla border south of Cordoba/Orizaba this Sunday if the Mystery Rider decides to stop playing Bob Vila for a day or so. He's a complicated riding buddy, he gets back from a month in Africa and starts rebuilding the rebuilding. LOL!
    I'll let you know if the tolls have come down. Absolutely nobody knew anything about it at the tolls I rode through with CraneGuy just last weekend.
    Fingers crossed, this will be a big help in covering many more miles much faster to some very good riding locales in this part of Mexico.
    Pay less, ride farther, eat more home wood fire cooking, breathe more mountain air, and then get farther off the map.
    The answer to "Is Mexico Safe" is right there.:deal
  13. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to figure out who to call. I may see if Sonora Tourism knows anything about the tolls.
  14. Road Dust

Road Dust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This came to me from Marco of the Asphalt Rats Endurance Motorcycling in Mexico. I know that he has some fairly reliable contacts. Last July during the End of the World Ride in Chihuahua we did not have to pay any tolls during the actual ride. He has to know some of the right people to pull that off.

I'm hoping that it is accurate as I am heading down to Mazatlan next month for the Pata Salada MC Annivesary & Endurance Ride. Half price on the tolls would save me some money.
  15. Craneguy

Oddometer:
    I just checked with my local gang of biker chicks (thanks Laura) and they are saying December sometime for the change.

I'm going to ride out tomorrow to check...
  16. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, what the heck, Craneguy, if you are going out to check on the tolls, ride over to Cordoba Saturday with Doug, and then meet the Mystery Rider and I for breakfast early AM on Sunday in the Portales in Cordoba, and then you guys can head back from the Puebla portion we'll be riding. Should be fun. El Pico awaits and she'll be lifting her skirt for you in the early morning. A treat that is the photographer's equivalent of a "mananero".:eek1
    Fresh bread and homemade papaya, strawberry, raspberry, and some other berry jam and coffee that is sadly a notch below that of La Esperanza but it does in a pinch.
  17. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:

that's what you tell all the boys:evil
  18. Craneguy

Oddometer:
    Wish I could Mike, but tomorrow is invoicing day (gotta pay for it all somehow) and Sunday I have a toddler's picnic that the wife volunteered me for. :mad: "you had your fun over the last two weekends"

Women eh? The most dangerous thing in Mexico :D
  19. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    You riding with the Harley guys, again?
  20. Craneguy

Oddometer:
    No, real toddlers. Far scarier! :eek: