Kentuckiana "Icebreaker" Ride Mar. 24-25

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Woodsrat, Dec 26, 2011.

?

So who's coming and whatcha riding?

1. Dunno yet

2. Small (under 400cc) dually bike

3. Big (over 400cc) dually bike

4. Streeter

5. Why would I waste my valuable time on a ride like this???

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Only non-polluting electric ones (aka rascals). lol
  2. KneeKicker

KneeKicker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I loaded

InKy
    Icebreaker 1a 1b 2a 2b

am I good?

Edit: I keep getting a truncated message. Only InKy loaded and one icebreaker

Unit is Etrex Legend CX
  3. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    From what I understand the In/Ky and Ky/In (main paved routes) are identical. The Gravel North and Gravel South routes are identical as well. All four are under 500 points. On my GPS Map 60CSx I have loaded the four routes without problem but like you I can only load one of the four main Kentucky routes. One fellow as mentioned is having trouble loading the Indiana routes. The way I see it you could probably just load one of the Indiana paved routes and one of the Indiana gravel routes and be covered since they're identical. Much of the "main" and "paved" routes use the same roads, too.

I'm going to be in contact with GPS master BigDog tonight and as soon as I figure it out I'll post and let you know what I find. It's curious that you and I are having the same problem.:huh
  4. gplane

gplane Putty Conjugator

Oddometer:
    I've got a Garmin76cx That I don't know squat about, but I think that I got everything loaded allright.
    Just a steep learning curve for an old fart like me...We'll see!
    Also studying the rt. in Google Earth, just to get the "flavor" of it, and will be carry'in paper maps and a list of turns in case I screw the pooch w/the gps.
    I'll be watching this thread closely. I might inadvertently learn something.:ear:1drink
  5. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have posted the gps file that included both the Indiana and Kentucky tracks in "Layin' Down Tracks" at the link below.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774808

This file not only has both states included---the track points of each track is below 500 points----so should be no problem for any gps that can store track logs.

I included a waypoint for the starting point in Paoli at the Hucks store.

BigDog
  6. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    Okay, I have no clue what I'm doing wrong but I absolutely cannot get either Mark's or BigDog's revised "icebreaker ky" to load into my GPS. I even tried loading them one at a time, deleting all the rest of the four main KY tracks but only the first one I load will do so.

I'll be calling the 'Dog to confer with him and see whatdafudge I'm doing wrong. Something just ain't right, though--BigDog's revised tracks are well under 500 points but whatever of the four mail tracks I try to load first is the one that goes in and the rest refuse to come and visit my Map60CSx.:baldy

kneekicker--if you're having the same problem holler when you get home from work.
  7. mbabc

mbabc Journeyman Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Great job Mark. This should simplify things so we're all on the same (map) page.
  8. oPAULo

oPAULo jack of all terrain Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gee that sucks Tim. It's gonna be a great ride too. Eh, maybe next time.:lol3

:hide
  9. mbabc

Oddometer:
    OK, talked to woodsrat. Seems my track/route names were making his gps reject them. I had some underline characters that were freaking out his gps.

I've edited post #199 (page 14) with BigDog's edited version. See his link above or the one on #199. Glad Tim & Mark figured it out.

Who knew...fooking 'puters......:ddog

Chime in here Timmy!
  10. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    EVERYONE check that the tracks you downloaded for the Kentucky legs (previously marked 1a, 1b, 2a and 2b) actually show up on your map screen. The problem as mentioned was that I could only load one of the four tracks. BigDog had both a 276 and a GPS Map 60 CSX like mine and we loaded them at the same time on the phone so that he could confirm that it wasn't just my mistake. We tried a number of different ways to load them including loading them one track at a time (which didn't work, either) and that's when the 'Dog came up with the idea that the spaces in their names might be screwing things up. Amazingly this was the problem.

Anyway he's redone it all and wants me check it out, which I will when I get done stuffing my pie hole. A report to follow.
  11. markdvk

markdvk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was able to get what I needed out of the files, but one (don't remember now) was creating an error. I went to the ridewithgps site and I think that's where I succeeded. I got the error using gpsbabel to convert to another format. I suspect the tail end of one of the files is corrupted or missing at the links provided on the post.

BTW, I ran into a new problem that may or may not be related. I had to put all of the tracks I needed into one MapSource file and send to my Colorado at the same time. Otherwise, tracks sent to the gps previously were not visible.
  12. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    Big Dog revised the tracks and simplified them greatly. Now you'll only have one main route south and one main route north (rather than separate Indiana and Kentucky routes) and gravel alternative routes as an option. Go to http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774808 and you can easily get these gpx. tracks for loading up your GPS, phone, laptop or whatever you're going to have tied to your bike to navigate with.

BigDog, we are all greatly indebted to you for your troubleshooting and simplification of the route.

Remember the beauty of (nearly) everyone having a track to follow in their various electronic doohickies is that we can all ride at our own pace and not have to ride over our heads just to stay with the guy ahead of us. If you're one of the folks without a GPS who plan on following someone else make sure they're going to ride at a pace you're comfortable with and for God's sake don't ride too fast or over your head. If you find yourself following someone who wants to go faster than you feel comfortable there's absolutely no shame in laying back and hooking up with someone else to lead you. There will be lots of riders of greatly varying skill levels and/or speeds so I'd just about bet the farm you'll find someone who'll set a pace you'll be comfortable with.

EVERYONE ride safe to Paoli and if you're in town on Friday evening and want to join us for dinner come to the Pizza Hut in Paoli south on town on IN 37, east side of the street around 8:00 PM or so.

LET'S RIDE!!!:ricky
  13. Hoyter

Hoyter n00b

Oddometer:
    I found the issue with my Nuvi. Seeing as how I don't (yet) have one of those fancy units that will track a... well, track, I had to convert the tracks to a route. I also had to limit the amount of points to 200 as the Nuvi 855 despises anything longer.

Now that the gps is loaded up it's time to gather my bikey things to ride up to see Advcoot (pops) tomorrow. Surly you all don't mind another street rider on a 4banger Honda joining in the fun. I'm looking forward to it.
  14. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Well it's looking more than likely I'll have to work on Saturday. GRRRRR!!!!!!!!! Y'all have fun and be safe.

John
  15. TooSlow4U

TooSlow4U 2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Oddometer:
    I had originally planned on being aboard the HonDeere for both days of riding. Work has me swamped, though, and I am having to work Saturday until I close the doors @ 3pm. As of now I'm now planning on meeting for breakfast around 8 at Golden Corral here in Bedford, heading to work, and then super slabbing the FJR straight down to the cabins to meet up with everyone Saturday night. Then on Sunday, my ride/plans can resume to follow the normal route back north with everyone. Ride safe Saturday and see y'all that evening in Cave City :D
  16. Bob Herr

Bob Herr Oilpatch University Graduate

Oddometer:
    Anybody going over from Southern Ilinois ? I am leaving Mt. Vernon at 6:00 AM and will meet Big Dave in Grayville at 7:00 AM. Be glad to have you ride with us. Will probably run I-64 then cut north to Paoli. Or would be open to other routes. We would like to hook up with someone with a GPS to be our fearless leader when we get to Paoli. My email is bobherr@mvn.net. - Bob
  17. Backmarker

Backmarker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cant be the only one here this dumb :huh... But i cant find out what time zone the start is ???? May just be me but I think this is info we need or guys will be showing up at different times... Again i"m not real smart :cry so if someone could please direct me to the post that says what time zone:deal i would be thankful........
  18. mbabc

Oddometer:
    Barry, I'm 99% sure Paoli is eastern daylight time. The Mammoth cave area is central daylight time. That might be handy to know for restaurant openings, etc. Glad you axed!
  19. Backmarker

Backmarker Long timer

Oddometer:
    So the meet time is 11:00 am eastern????? We are on central time here as are a lot of folks.
  20. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    According to what I learned on a time zone web site Paoli, IN is in the Eastern Time Zone. A good question as just down the road Tell City is in Central.

So yeah, the start at Paoli on Saturday is at 11:AM Saturday, March 24, Eastern time. Glad you asked.