Musings on the Whooo-sa-berg FE570

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CodeMonkee, Jun 7, 2009.

1. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it totally depends on your locale. The 2011 570s (not 390 or 450) are 50 state legal.
  2. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    Most everything is there. You may have to add a few bits of wiring for each thing you install but they are bits you can buy online or from your dealer and they plug right in - not custom made (unless you want to). Some dealers like mine have already plugged in most of the bits - like the headlight and tail-light and will gladly add turn signals and horn if you want them.

The rest of the wiring and the charging system is the same as the newer 50 state legal bikes, there is almost no different in that respect. The charging system is something like 280 watts IIRC - plenty for standard lighting and charging and such, as long as you don't add a TV and fridge like some 'adventure' riders do.
  3. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    March 2011 issue of Dirtrider has a test of the 2011 FE570 S; just picked up a copy today. :D
  4. alfredman22

alfredman22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My new Berg, she is one sweet ride.

[​IMG]
  5. Knobbiethrower

Knobbiethrower ADV in ADK

Oddometer:
    All put back together and ready to get dirty. Brought it home from the dealer and did "most" of the must do offroad mods...saving for a 70 deg subtank...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Mr_Chris

Mr_Chris Get away, evil car!

Oddometer:
    So,

What happened to Codemonkee's berg? Did he ever get a Safari tank? Heated grips for the snow? Who shot JR?

Thought I would try applying the PAcker Whacker to this thread and see if it revives enoug to answer all these burning questions and more. :lol3

Chris
  7. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    Looks like for 2013 the 570 is no more. :cry
  8. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    really?
  9. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
  10. r'elise me

r'elise me Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    JUmped on my friends 2013 FE501 this weekend and just loved the thing. Light, nimble - makes my 690E feel piggy especially for the day rides without bags. So now I'm jonesing for a lightweight street legal enduro bike to supplement the 690e and 12GS stable.

The question is should I get the older 570. I like the berg-specific, 'classic' nature of the 70deg motor and the assumed displacement advantage, but I don't want a pita bike to service and farkle. I just want to do day rides on it and I'm not that demanding - I'm a noob on dirt and my bigger bikes are kinda dangerous for riders of my age (48) and experience level on technical trails. So considering the 570 really depends on answers to the following:

Are larger fuel tank options available?

Are servicing and parts difficult to get in Los Angeles?

Are these bikes really 250 lbs dry (has anyone weighed theirs?)

Are there mfr design problems (like my ktm's fuel pump, lighting, throttle snatchiness, etc)?

Do you think this is a significantly easier bike to learn dirt riding on than my 690e?

I'm sure these questions have all be addressed in this long thread, but maybe someone can give me a quick reply since I'm just starting to consider this bike and can't afford the time to sift through all the info out there. Thanks for the help.
  11. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Fuel capacity is a problem and the aftermarket stuff isn't that elegant.

KTM parts are what they are, I have no problems in NJ???

I think closer to 265 true weight, only heavy under human power.

All KTM problems carry over IMO. It is a KTM but more rare and a total PITA to work on except the air filter.

Much better than the 690 but a legal 250/350 would probably be even better.
  12. Greg Masters

Greg Masters Upon Westminster Bridge

Oddometer:
    By far and away the best 'large' tank for the 570 is from 70 Degree Racing - it simply replaces the bike's existing underseat subframe and is a work of beauty!

However, there has been a production holdup for some time now. Dale Covington has worked tirelessly to bring these tanks back on line and is confronted with one heartbreaking holdup after another.

I am fortunate to have one of his original batch. Believe me, they are worth waiting for!

Greg
  13. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

And I have one of the leakers. :lol3

Who really knows if they will ever get the right at this point. I'm glad I wasn't holding my breath for them. With the KTMs or 2013 Burgs you can't swing a stick without hitting a great tank option.
  14. r'elise me

Oddometer:
    Is there any real advantage of the 570 motor over the 2013 KTM engined FE510cc? In other words, are there enough disadvantages to the 570 that I should just get a new KTM/Berg

Do the 2011 570's have the same POS fuel pump that comes on the KTM 690's? I was looking at Profil fuel socks and the part numbers are the same for the 570 bergs and the 690 ktms. If it's the same pump, it's gonna get tossed before 20 miles passes. No use in reliving the KTM nightmare.
  15. r'elise me

Oddometer:
    Wondering what other solutions there are besides the 70deg Racing subframe tank (still unavailable).

Why's that?
  16. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Safari has a rear Dakar style tank and a tank that fits over the front tank. :huh

A 250 or 350 feels 50 lbs lighter due to the significantly lighter crank mass. The 500s will plow more and resist direction changes. The 250/350s are very tossable, and the power won't bully you around in tighter goings. My son can whip me on a 125cc 2t so don't think they are slow. My own lap times on a 250 compared to a 450 are the same but I turn the 250f better.

Shop the Husky 250/310 and KTM 350 too.

The Burgs were a simple tank resdeign from being excellent. As they are they suck to take apart. The 570 has great power but nobody says the 500/501 doesn't have plenty too.
  17. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    I've ridden the 2013 Berg/KTM 500's and yes they feel lighter but they vibrate a LOT more than the FE series bikes at higher speeds. For dual sporting I really think the FE series is better and smoother, although now on the secondary market.

Be sure to check these other threads for tankage options

Husaberg 70 Degree Owners Thread (the mega FE thread)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639366

The Husaberg 70ยบ FE Adventure Traveler Thread

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782994
  18. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    Sorry. :shog

I moved to Orygun, got a corporate job, then bought a house. I haven't had a chance to ride for a while I have been so busy between the job and moving and then buying a house (my first).

Good thing is I have a man cave (aka shop) and there sits my Hussy - ignored, along with the Beta Alp (which I haven't ridden yet).

But now my Hussy is a collector's item (just like the 2 stroke Beta Alp); they don't make them anymore. :huh

I got another truck though (big Dodge is in the man cave with a blown 5th gear), this time with a bed low enough to roll the bikes up into, so now all I need to do is get the Lock-n-Load bike thingy and go out and ride - when it stops being sold cold the ground isn't frozen.

And no, I haven't got anything more for the bike - it is torn apart right now awaiting my attention (I was going to wrap the silencer and put on some new bars and stuff, but then I got this new job and...
  19. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    I don't see why people think fuel tanks are a problem on these bikes. You have a choice of:

1) subframe tank (I have one and I like it)

2) Front Safari tank

3) rear Safari tank

Altogether, with the stock tank, you get something like 8 gallons well spread out over the bike, with much of it down low. Plus you can add or subtract as you see fit; you can add or subtract the Safari tanks.

How many dual sports allow you to have four separate tanks and the ability to easily remove two of them, and one of them is under the seat down low?

I think the tank/fuel situation on the 70 deg. bikes is optimum.
  20. pne

pne Long timer

Oddometer:
    guys I am thinking of picking one of these up. Does anyone know the updates over the years from 09-11 as I have an option of a well modded 09 or a low hour 11 for the same price. Also, how much do you think these bikes are worth nowadays?

thanks,
    J