ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. bmgyver

bmgyver Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have the HDB handguards and want to install a set of flexxbars from my spare bike.
    What stuff is paul sending you to make this work?
    Please post pics when you get them installed.
  2. Harley Beemer

Harley Beemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    will post pics soon.

Paul is sending delrin washers that let the handguards flex at the center mounting location.

Voyager GPS will go between the crossbars on the Flexxbars.

Dual mirrors. Toggle switch mount for heated grips, powerlet socket for Bluetooth listening.

Anyone on my other questions above?
  3. Nomad

Nomad High Speed Low Drag

Oddometer:
    just got the acerbis 3.0 gallon tank in the mail on christmas eve.
    i'm about to mount this baby up! i'll post some pictures when i get her all done.
  4. Nomad

Nomad High Speed Low Drag

Oddometer:
    with the natural colored stocker...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

with the new black acerbis! man I love the black!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Night Crawler

Night Crawler Beware the beast in black

Oddometer:
    Anyone have the part number for the little pop in plastic clip that holds the vent tube from the gas tank against the frame? Seems like a never ending pain in the ass. I was just going to switch to a shorty with a one way valve, but have heard from too many people having problems with them.
  6. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Until that last pix it's hard to tell where it's bigger. Looks good. Curious to see what kind of range you can expect over stock.

And yep the black looks better :evil. I had to vinyl mine. Along with black plastics.
    [​IMG]
    Rain today here at the beach, should pack down the sand in the forest. Changed the oil and cleaned the chain. Valves look fine.70 hr and 1800 miles. Bike has been great, rider just ok . :D
    Merry Christmas!
  7. hoss314

hoss314 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Black is beautiful...
    [​IMG]

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
  8. Wentjo

Wentjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In have the shorty with the one way valve. What kind of problems are people having? Mine seems to be working fine, it the one from KTM hard parts. Drips out a little fuel when you tip it over, but not to bad. I have the same tank and love it.
  9. Night Crawler

Night Crawler Beware the beast in black

Oddometer:
  10. Wentjo

Wentjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, that's not good. Guess I'll have to pay closer attention to my vent. Thanks
  11. kjooseppi

kjooseppi n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello
    I've been planning to install a bigger tank to my bike (500 EXC -13).
    I want to more than 250 km range so I have planned acerbis 20l tank.
    But ... I wonder, If the bike handling will suffer, because all of the weight will come as far forward (may also install some navtower).

Another alternative is of course to install 13l tank, and a rear tank in addition. But it is a more expensive option, and harder to do. (getting fuel from the reartank to front).

If anyone has tried one or both options, so thank you!:1drink
  12. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    Pinewood Springs, CO(between Lyons and Estes Park)
    The bigger tank definitely effects handling when you want to turn or are in the technical stuff. Other than that it is quite manageable. With that said I am almost always running the bigger tank these days, even if I have technical riding to do.
  13. RSinBC

RSinBC Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have the 20 L Acerbis and if you are not on a long distance ride just fill it half way, this way you don't feel it.
  14. PatrickM

PatrickM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone put more dual-sport oriented tires on their KTM?

I'm thinking along the lines of the Heidenau K60's.

"Why?" you may ask... Well, we have had a butt load of snow in the past week (6' give or take) and my new bike sits in the garage. I want to take her out for the 1 hour break in, and to put her through some moderate paces w/o hitting full tilt dirt and rocks. At least until Spring.

Am I off base? Should just grind off the knobbies (even w/ crazy cagers slipping and sliding on the roadways) or just wait?

Anyone put K60's on their bike, and if so, how long did they last?
  15. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Air filter maintenance...
    The sticker on my '13 says the filter has Motorex/TwinAir Bio Oil on it. That stuff is a lot more expensive than the No Toil version. I am assuming the No Toil cleaner will work fine to remove the existing oil and I can go forward using the No Toil products, right? :ear
  16. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    I swear I read most of this thread before buying my EXC, but I didn't think to MAKE ANY NOTES! So, hopefully someone will take pity on me. Looking to install my heated grips. I need a switched wire for the coil of the relay. Is there an unused one in the bundle behind the headlight? I am also assuming there isn't a spare heavy gauge wire right from the battery laying around for the actual load...:evil
  17. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    I would just "use up" the stock knobbies. I actually like knobbies on the street; they break traction very easily and predictably. I get in more trouble on stickier tires that have me over my head by the time they let go.
  18. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    Had my tank vent fail also. The little bee b was stuck down.
  19. Wentjo

Wentjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The oil on the twin air filter won't come off with No Toil cleaner, you have to use the twin air's cleaner. I tried that on mine and it didn't work very good.
  20. Upsandowns

Upsandowns Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To Patrick M, Post #3039 Yes, I bought an extra set of wheels and put the K-60's on my 500EXC for the summer when I tend to run a lot more on the asphalt and hard, dry dirt. I have several thousand miles, including a lot of dirt/gravel in Ohio, and they have held up incredibly well, hardly showing any wear at all. They are extremely good on pavement, wet or dry, and on hard dirt and rock, not so good on slick, wet dirt. I run them with about 25psi rather than the recommended 36psi but you should not air down much below the 25 and it won't help enough anyway. Don't make the mistake of thinking they're knobbies as they just don't have that kind of grip, but they are wonderful tires and I also run them on my BMW R1200GS Adventure and ride that 2-up much of the time. I am extremely happy with them on the big bike and have ridden a lot of Forest Service type roads on the big bike with no issues of any kind and superb wear - like almost NONE !!! I had trouble believing comments I read elsewhere on ADVRider from guys saying they got as much as 8,000 - 10,000 miles out of them on a 600lbs+ bike, but I'm quickly becoming a believer !!! I'm 68, 6'3" and about 225 at the moment, so you know this isn't coming from the more normal 160 lbs guy the 500EXC is designed for !