Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  2. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...near Fancy Gap, Virginia USA: ​

[​IMG]
  3. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...Blue Ridge in the distance:​

[​IMG]
  4. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...Blue Ridge Plateau, Southwest Virginia, USA: ​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool!
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...you! :-)

Mind if I sneak in another non-BRP pic? No?? Great! This is just outside Indianapolis, Indiana, USA. I had just had a hearty breakfast with Dave Barr & Crew, and probably ate just a litttle too much. Not long after I hit the road for home I was overcome by a powerful urge that was NOT to be denied. As in RIGHT NOW! ​

I took good advantage of the interstate construction going on next to me, hung an illegal (and a 'mite dangerous) u-turn, off-roaded through some dirt and gravel, quick-like stripped off my 'Stich and did my, um, bidness. (Hey, ya gotta love a porta-Johnny with a reclining seat!)​

And then got a fun photo in return for my acute attack of gastrointestinal pain: ​

[​IMG]

The things I do to entertain you folks. :-)
  7. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...in the Blue Ridge, either: ​

[​IMG]

Oh, Ferris, what did you do this time?!?​
  8. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...regularly-scheduled programming:​

[​IMG]

Yep, this is in the Blue Ridge (as in Parkway, North Carolina USA this time), yes it's windy, yes it's cold, but the Gerbings was crankin' and we had the BRP mostly to ourselves on this fine winter day. ​

That's FBAD's "Acid Drop," I mean "And Denise," smiling through her Shoei. :-)
  9. dfishman

dfishman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    P----s Gap?Did I get.did I get it?Great pics.I loved the Ivy barn.
  10. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......................... :-)

Thank you. The ivy barn dealio was not long after we moved to this side of the USA, and I didn't find out until later (from Jim Nance) that all the pretty ivy in the photo was bad, bad ju-ju. I never got any on me while I was there, but Nance's news explained why every time I'd come inside from doing yard chores it felt like I'd been eaten up by fleas or mosquitos. Now ya tell me. ;-)
  11. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...near Roanoke, Virginia USA: ​

[​IMG]
  12. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...FBAD: ​

[​IMG]

At Mount Mitchell, North Carolina USA, highest peak in the Eastern United States​
  13. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeeze, your tours and wanderings are so serene and nice .... The pics and reflections calm, sooth, and inspire thoughts of romance and joy :D

Here's a little snapshop into mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:lol3
  14. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heehehehehe .... sorry for the vulgar interjection ....

here's a couple from more from my recent wanders in your neck of the woods:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I heard about this one from Carlos and Webe. Didn't you go into the tree trimming business on your HP2 or something like that?!?
  16. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Long timer

Oddometer:
    The HP2 .... Bad to the Bone and back for more:

[​IMG]

In street trim here, usually in dual sport mode.
  17. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...weet!
  18. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    This chapter chronicles a 325-mile r'amble I took on May 22nd, 2011, up and back down a portion of Virginia's Blue Ridge, a sojourn in search of balance and grace. It was a grand, unplanned two-wheeled adventure, my very favorite kind. On Mother's Day of this year, my mom, 87 years young in March, was admitted to the hospital with acute abdominal pain. Yesterday came the crushing news that Mom has terminal cancer. ​

Today, I very much needed to ride, to be alone, to find my peace. Today I ride to be alive.​

We hope you enjoy. ​

FBAD​

**********************************************​

[​IMG]

This is Mom, circa 1941 or '42, astride one of her boyfriends' Knucklehead. These are her own words, written earlier this year: ​

"I graduated from High School in a small town named Concrete, Washington. One of my boyfriends had a brand new 1942 Baby Blue Buick convertible and another bf had a Harley. Enter rivalry into the picture and the inevitable race happened! These were country roads folks and traffic was light. There's a section of road west of Concrete that has a several mile straight-a-way and we posted people at each end to stop what little traffic there was and the Buick and the Harley entered the race of the decade! I got to drive the Buick! I can still feel the adrenaline! The race ended a tie at 125+ mph! We had to back off because of curves and traffic. I find it hard to believe I was ever that young. I was 17 when that picture was taken, newly graduated from High School and enjoying my last summer of freedom before going into Nurse's training. I used to do hill climbing on that bike, sometimes up at Point Roberts (look it up, it's an interesting part of the good ole USofA). I wasn't as good as the guys on the climbs though--my legs just aren't long enough! I think I still have a few bits of gravel imbedded in one of my knees as a lasting memento."

I got my ridin' Jones from Mom. I got my zest for life from Mom. I got my passion for adventure from Mom.

Today, I need to ride.
  19. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Long timer

Oddometer:
    God Bless Ma, you and your family.
  20. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mike, much appreciated.

*************************************​

[​IMG]

I got an early start this morning, so did my warm-up out on the Parkway as a courtesy to our sleepy neighbors. I've been an avid rider for almost 50 years, yet the excitement I feel when heading out for a ride - whether around the block or around the country - hasn't waned an iota over those years. My heart was heavy, yet my soul was already taking flight from anticipation of today's adventure. ​
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.