Got a cool watch? Let's see it.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Jungle Jim, Jan 22, 2007.

1. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
    My Seamaster is about 15 years old. It's my daily wearer, accurate and reliable, never missed a beat. The sword hands are very legible in all conditions. It's also very comfortable. Definitely one of the best watches I've ever owned, a classic.

[​IMG]
  2. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good looking GO. And I like how the strap fits the lugs.
  3. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a beautiful watch, but just a little too much like my Subs and Sea Dweller, and I'm right in between holes on the strap sizing; one too loose, the next tighter too tight. I just keep falling back on Rolex's and Panerai's. I like to shuffle my collection around, so half are keepers, but I like the other watches to be easily sold. Rolex and Panerai have such well-defined market prices that make them easy to sell if they're priced correctly. A lot of the other more esoteric brands that I like, like Glashutte, just don't have the resale market. This Sport Evolution lists for around $8500, and you'd be pressed to find it new for much less than $6k, and realistically mine will probably sell for $4600. I'll rarely sell a Rolex or Panerai for much less than I paid for it, even after years. It's painful to lose over $1,000 after wearing a watch a half-dozen times. I can walk into any jewelry or pawn shop in Houston with a Rolex Daytona and walk out with cash that's 90% of the full true market value in five minutes. Except for possibly a Patek, and even then you need to talk to someone who knows them, you can't do that with any other watch brand.
  4. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    What does the ADV watch brain trust think of Oris watches?
  5. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    They don't suck. I've got a BC3 chrono:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I didn't take very good care of it and it isn't the most reliable anymore. I guess I didn't realize a pilot's watch shouldn't be worn surfing regularly and that if it is, it should at least be serviced once in 8 years.

Before it showed any issues, it kept great time and wore very well - not too big, but a little weight to let you know it was there.
  6. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    This is a sweet watch. I just bought my brother one as a thank you gift for plating my comminuted clavicle fracture. It seemed like an exchange of hardware was appropriate. Before I gave him the watch I had a long look at it and considered keeping it :wink: but did what I had intended. I may still have to pick myself up one, its down to that or a grand seiko dive watch.
  7. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    :thumb

I picked up one of these:

[​IMG]

First time I paid more than about $300 for a watch. :1drink
  8. Josephvman

Oddometer:
    Great, solid timepieces, and reasonably priced. I would also look at Sinn watches, which are a little more money, but also excellent and very reasonably priced. There are very good deals on lightly used Omega Seamasters, like those pictured in some recent posts, and that's a fantastic, bomb-proof watch.

9. falconati

falconati baller

Oddometer:
    Wow - love this thread. Just found it today and read more pages than I'd like to admit :evil

Anyway, I recently visited San Diego for work. The incredible weather put me in the mood to spend money, and I almost left the city with the below three watches (unfortunately my midwestern roots make it challenging for me to allow myself these beautiful pieces of machinery, and therefore I left pocketbook intact).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and of course...

[​IMG]

The Hermes watch is a very simple concept, but the execution is astonishing. It is absolutely gorgeous - the details are so impressive, that I stared for about 30 minutes. Playing with the watch is a lot of fun - you'd be surprised how often you want to push the button to suspend time. My only wish was that the back of the case would have an exhibition view to show some of the mechanisms involved. I've read about this watch a lot, and it was an absolute treat to see one in person. I think it's likely that I'll regret not buying any/all of these watches; however it's hard to explain to non-watch-lovers why the ~$30k purchase was an investment.
  10. Manuel Garcia O'Kely

Manuel Garcia O'Kely Back at last

Oddometer:
    There is some guy on Watchuseek trying to unload a B&R "Red Radar", he's been trying for a year, he was down to $5K IIRC, if you really want one.

Where's the date hand on that Hermes? And why would you want to stop time? Tempus Fugit and all of that....
  11. falconati

falconati baller

Oddometer:
    The date hand is hidden in that shot because the date disappears when time is suspended. Ultimately it's just a gadget complication, but the French have put a very romantic twist to it.

Moving time:
    [​IMG]
  12. Josephvman

Oddometer:
    "fashion house" watches, no matter how interesting, don't seem to have much lasting appeal with serious watch collectors. Cool watch though; similar look to some of the Glashutte Original Panomatic models. I'm guessing Hermes doesn't manufacture it themselves, but I'd be interested to know who does. The complication is interesting, if not particularly useful, and I'm pretty sure there are a number of other watches with something similar. I'd prefer a moonphase complication myself. The one "fashion house" watch I do really love is the Cartier Ballon Bleu. That is one beautiful dress watch.
  13. MoxNix

MoxNix Ex-ExPat

Oddometer:
  14. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
  15. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    It disappears when you Le Temps Suspendu.....and comes back when you un suspendu.
  16. Manuel Garcia O'Kely

Manuel Garcia O'Kely Back at last

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I looked up a could of video...different.
  17. Josephvman

Oddometer:
    It appears that Hermes does make their own watches, though in sort of a round-about way. They have basically puchased majority ownership stakes in a number of small watch part suppliers in Switzerland (a dial manufacturer, case/bracelet manufacturer, and movement manufacturer), and doing their own assembly using these component parts from ouside suppliers which they effectively now own. I didn't mean to imply that they were licensed products per se, but only that it was unlikely that they manufacturer the watch in-house, which is at least partially true. The same can be said for most watch companies really, and the steps that Hermes has taken to get into the esoteric watch market only indicates that they have the intention of becoming a big player there. I'm looking forward to seeing what they've got coming down the road.

18. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
  19. xellic

xellic .

Oddometer:
    This is impressive

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/45537700?byline=0&amp;color=ffffff" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

32 day power reserve
  20. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
    Impressive indeed.