What bike do you want today?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by fivehitsweak, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    As you can see in my signature I own an FZ-6 as well. Just completed a 1300 mile weekend and looking at a new bike sometime soon. Really like the new FJR and Connies for the ST side of things but also like the GS, the looks of the new KTM 1190, and the Duc Multi. I have ridden them all except for the new KTM 1190. I have also lurked around the Super Tenere.

The repair and service costs of the Euro bikes scares me a bit which really rules out the Ducati. The entry cost into the GS is really up there as well. I like the KTM stuff for obvious reasons (see sig.), but they are not available here yet. I have always been a Yamaha fan and have owned a few Hondas in my time. Looking for something a bit more comfy on the longer hauls, has a bit more low end grunt than the FZ-6, dependable, solid, but doesn't weigh as much as my diesel truck. I think I may go ride the FJR and the Super Ten today to get some things clear in my head.

Anyone else have this dilemma? :ear
  2. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes.

I had a couple of twins and DR650 before my FZ6. I've ridden enough other bikes to know that I want (another) sub-litre, well-equipped sport tourer. 250 mile range, good power, hard luggage, at least a half-fairing.

Front runner is a Tiger 800 ABS roadie. I do wish they'd make a Sprint with that motor but I understand what sells and what doesn't. It fits me like a glove and checks all the right boxes.

I'd consider a Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS. The motor is incredible, chassis very well composed. I've done a couple of demo rides and came away very impressed. I"m a little nervous about it long-term because my Ninja 650R didn't wear well with age - corrosion, little rattles popping up, some shoddy fairing parts. Uses a lot of fuel too.

The Yamaha FZ-09 is supposedly going to spawn a couple of other bikes with the 850 triple in the coming year. I'm not in a huge rush to replace my FZ6 so I'll be waiting to see what they do. :lurk
  3. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, precisely that dilemma. No one has made a purpose-built SPORT-tourer that is less than 1-liter since the VFR-800. A Sprint 800 would be great; a Sprint 675 even better.

Of course, we really shouldn't complain. It has taken a decade to get good ADV offerings in the USA, and we are now getting (almost) all of the best of these. This class has largely supplanted the Sport-tourer here. Hopefully, the pendulum will swing again. Until then, a VFR or a ST3/4S remain, aging somewhat gracefully, for those of us who prefer this class.
  4. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    AGREED 100%. If I were in the market for a new bike, it'd be the VFR800 if it was still offered here. Fortunately, the newest examples are only 4 years old, so, the used market is still an option.
  5. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    This:

[​IMG]
  6. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is wrong with the 955 or the 1050? Why the need for a "Sprint 675"?
    :ear
  7. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    About a hundred pounds, depending on the version.
  8. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And there is nothing wrong with the BMW F800-Series. I didn't mean to over-look it. Unfortunately, the trend in sales has gone from S to ST to GT, and the S was just barely a Sport-tourer by my definition. The chassis geometry, is just too relaxed.

Now it is just a light-weight tourer in GT form. It is selling well, and is almost perfect for smaller men and many women.
  9. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Sprint 955 is great, if a little heavy. I would tend to modify a Daytona 955 to hit the weight and chassis geometry.

The Sprint 1050 had its tail way up in the air - no ability to slide for/aft for weight changes or long rides. Also a bit heavy, and slow steering.

The Sprint GT is the best of the breed, but another 30 lbs. heavier!! I acutally like the Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird, but a great story about 1000 miles in New Zealand with many, many curves and a very tired rider convinced me I don't need the massive power; just a more nimble ride.

Hence the desire for a Sprint 675. I don't need massive torque; I crave light weight, nimble handling AND a Sport-touring fairing / rear subframe. Alas, I readily admit that I'm in a small minority.
  10. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    The rear subframe part is increasingly difficult. The kwak 650R doesn't even have grab handle mounts anymore (where aftermarket hard luggage mounts).

I like my FZ6, but I'm due for updates like ABS, better suspension, etc. A ~800 triple from Yamaha or Triumph would get me off the bench and into a showroom.
  11. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a great motorcycle. Very powerful motor with a massive amount of your torque. My brother got one in May 2012. It now has 20000 miles on it, and has been ridden coast to coast as well as internationally.

The bike handles very well and can hang in the corners. His pegs are proof of that... I keep telling him to get taller shocks and more ground clearance but he has yet to do it.
  12. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems to me that (power and a little more weight) is something to be desired in a Sport Touring bike. :ricky
  13. kconville

kconville Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer:
    I know you did, and I agree. As time moves forward Italian stuff looks better more and more compared with most everything with wheels.

You might be right. I'm recalling the Consumer Reports survey of over a million respondents a few years back. Even then, before getting on a roll, KIA soundly beat BMW for reliability. That was just about in the middle of incurred problems as compared with all makes. Audi was similar, and Mercedes was second to worst but close to Range Rover. Forgot where VW was positioned.

Toyota, and it's derivatives along with Honda and it's derivative topped the chart for best.

I live in SoCal and FWIW I'm amazed at how well BMWs sell. There everywhere! Don't these people ever talk to each other? Or, maybe image trumps reality.
  14. Dynamick

Dynamick Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are not alone in that.
  15. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they fit me really well too. I'd just like a more neutral seating position, or even a cafe version. Which I guess means I should find a crashed one, buy it, and break out the band saw and tig welder.

Being a weirdo is expensive but fun. :lol3
  16. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had to get a new tire for the FZ-6 and while waiting on it I had too much time on my hands and began perusing the showroom floor. I like the Super Tenere but, the price point is a bit off the mark for what you are getting as it is with all of this segment I feel. Just listen to my ciphering a bit....

2013 Bike is shown as $14,500 US and it comes with selectable traction control modes, and ABS basically a decent tank, comfortable seating position for all day ridability. Bags are a huge extra at around $1200, it will need a $500 reflash to really make into what it should be, $150 in heated grips, $260 for a bigger screen, crash bars and skid plate add another $7-800. Total of above $17,000.

The same year model FJR 1300 is sitting over there with bags, heated grips, cruise control, adjustable screen, for $15,000. I could use the extra $2K for two new helmets, GPS, and intercom.

The other thing I looked at was the FZ-9. Hubba! Hubba! That could be one hell of a hooligan. Do not know how it would sport tour, but it sure does say "ride me!, ride me hard!":wink:

The VFR 1200 looks so funky I have a hard time even warming up to it. and the ST 1300 is very dated looking. The NXT, NXC, whatever the thing is it is a 700 from Honda and seems to come in many different configurations is again kind of plain oatmeal.

Gonna schedule a ride on the Tenere anyway just for a reference point.
  17. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Time to have Larry Romestant (SpecialKs) build me the bike I want..........Custom BMW K1200 scrambler :evil A cross between the Triumph Scrambler and Ducati's GT1000. (Absolutely No Chrome)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. wayno

wayno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trail bike that can be licensed, light wt. and has some power to loft front wheel for trail obstacles(logs across trail):ear
  19. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    KTM 500 EXC. Bigger=KTM 690 enduro.
  20. basque

basque Infidel

Oddometer:
    Any of 'em... Doesn't matter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]