My ADVersys

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by kajj, Feb 23, 2012.

1. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok so time for an update.

Norway really is a beautiful country.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also had the time to do some finishing touches to the bike. I think it turned out nice :evil
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope you like it:freaky.

At least I do:deal:clap
  2. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    great build, might be the best studio apartment build ever.

next up young man, match up those wheels with a 3 spoke rear. cheap and easy.
  3. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yea I will match the wheels, but that will be a winter project. Thinking about swapping in a DRZ fork as well..
  4. gfloyd2002

gfloyd2002 Title Free Since '12

Oddometer:
    Love the paint job. Also love to see you on trail and doing thoughtful mods in your apartment. Truly inspirational.
  5. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The temperature has dropped and Winter is approaching. Might only be until next month until the first snow fall.
    So a little less riding then during the summer but more time to do some research about he coming modifications.

I finally did find a rear shock spring from a Yamaha XV1700 and mounted it on the R1 shock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The suspension feels a lot better now. I am running the new spring at lowest preload at it feels great.
    So no more cracks on the inner rear fender:deal
    [​IMG]

Hel brake lines and Brembo brake pads:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I only use one disc now and the stopping power is really good. And the Hel lines gives a much better feel to the brakes.

Also I did received these last week:evil
    [​IMG]

Fork legs from a Suzuki DRZ400E. They will be mounted during the winter. Only have to do some research about the wheel axle. And I also have to design an adapter for the brake caliper.

Other modifications done:
    Fairing cut down about 6cm at the top and about5cm at the bottom.
    Designed a luggage rack.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That`s all for now.
  6. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    what rate is your new spring? once done with this latest round of mods you'll be moving faster and still need some shock adjustment to avoid that interference issue. you need to free up that rear brake line in the guide.

the HEL lines are a good idea, but if you didn't order a HEL front line sized for the DRZ400, you'll find the Versys spec line too short for your new big boy DRZ forks. the stock DRZ banjo ends will work fine with your setup.

the adapter to mate the Versys/ER6 caliper to the DL1000 wheel/DRZ fork setup looks like this

[​IMG]

several clearance issues, so you'll end up with a complex shape. these adapters are commonly fabricated in aluminum alloy, but i chose steel for this critical part. i suggest you check the ER6 forums and research the common 4 pot calipers that are swapped onto the ER6 bikes. the OEM Versys caliper provides very good braking with a 310mm rotor, but since you haven't fabbed an adapter yet, now would be the time to go 4 pot. the caliper is cheap on the used part market, and the adapter would look very similar.

front axle and spacers are easy.

you're going to wonder why you didn't mount those 49mm forks sooner.
  7. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply JD.

I have read somewhere on the versys forum that the OEM roadstar spring should be about 13kg/mm.
    Don`t know if that is correct.

Why free up the rear brake line? it is not going to move in the guide anyway?

I have one Hel brake line that was supposed to go over the mudguard connecting the two original calipers that I
    could connect to the longer one.

Yea that is a complex shape. I`ll see what I can come up with.

I will look into the 4 pot caliper swap. But at the moment I do find the braking power very good.
    Especially with the Brembo brake pads.

I think I am going to use an M20 12.9 screw as a front axle, if I can find one in the correct length.
    Also the seatpost at my bicycle has the correct inner and outer diameter to function as a sleeve for the front axle.
    And an exhaustpipe cut to the right length will function as sleeves to mount the DRZ fork in the Versys clamps.
  8. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    you'll find 13kg is too light a rate, even without panniers.

i have some 4 pot Tokicos, but haven't bothered to switch yet.
  9. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have to disagree with that. I am not a big guy (72kg without gear) and running with minimal preeload right now.
    And it seems to work just fine, no bottoming out yet.

Did a test run in an nearby sandpit two days ago, trails with rocks and roots, hillclimbs up a sandy sloop.
    I don not now if i would like it to be any harder as it wouldn`t absorb much of the impacts on the rocky sections.

But time will tell.
  10. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    maybe it's not a 13kg spring.
  11. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe!

I do not really know what spring rate it is. There seems to be two versions of the "Roadstar" the XV1600 and the XV1700.
    I have the spring from the XV1700, might be a higher spring rate then the one on the XV1600?
  12. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did manage to find a used swingarm bolt from a Kawasaki er6.
    A spacer is needed on the left side. Hmm my bicycle saddle pole could be the right diameter.

[​IMG]
    Inner diameter: 24mm (Should be 20mm)
    Outer diameter: 29mm (Should be 25mm)
    Wall thickness: 2.5mm :thumb

Cut the pipe to the correct length and sawed a slit at one side.
    Some work with the polygrip and a hose clamp and it now has an inner diameter at 20mm and a outer diameter at 25mm.

A perfect fit!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The threaded part need to be extended and the axle cut to the proper length.
    That will have to wait until I can get hold of the correct die for the threads.
  13. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had some time over and decided to start with the process of designing a caliper adapter to be able to
    mount the Versys caliper to the DRZ fork and the V-strom wheel and disc.

First of. To draw a simplified 3D model of the fork, wheel, disc, spacers and caliper.

All I had time with tonight was the right fork leg with the mounting points to the brake caliper and wheel axle.

This will finally result in a 2D drawing of the adapter and later a finished product.
    [​IMG]

To be continued.
  14. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Front wheel axle, spacer and brake disc added to the front fork assembly.

I did say that it should be a simplified model. But it starts to look more like the real thing:norton
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Only front wheel, brake caliper and caliper adapter left. But those are mounted on the bike so that might have to wait until I bring the bike inside.

To be continued.
  15. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    find a cheap used 310mm rotor.
  16. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will do a search and see how much they cost here in Sweden. Something tells me that they are expensive, as everything else here. And from the states I have to pay about 50 bucks in shipping.

Perhaps a cheap one turns up during the winter.
  17. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is almost time to change the tires on the car to dubbed tires and the motorcycle season has come to an end.
    But I manage to get out and ride one last time before it was time to bring the bike inside and to continue the build. :evil
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So after removing the tank and fairing it was time to clean the bike before bringing it inside.
    [​IMG]
  19. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will need a longer side stand when the DRZ fork legs are mounted.
    After recommendations from JD I decided to go with the later model KLR 650 side stand which mounts directly to the original Versys mount.
    [​IMG]

But it need to be a bit longer. My old bent OEM Versys handlebar should be the right diameter to extend the side stand.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mounted on the bike
    [​IMG]

The only thing left to do is weld and paint it. But that will have to wait for a while.
  20. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Time to mount the DRZ400 fork legs. These should bolt right in with a 2.5 mm sleeve at the lower triple mount and a 0.5 mm sleeve at the upper triple mount.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Damn this is one tall bike. 125cm to the handlebars and almost 150 cm to the top of the fairing:deal
    [​IMG]