Asia or America's for 1 year travel, can't decide

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Lostin, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Lostin

Lostin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all!

In 2014 I and my girlfriend (both Russians) planning to make the dream real and drive our Dr's for an epic journey):dllama
    [​IMG]

The main question for us is what part of our great planet to visit - Asia or Two Americas. Problem is that we would not be able to rise big sum of money to ride everywhere. Europe is not interesting for us because we visit it several times, nothing new happens there for 1000 years and nothing would happen there for may be 1000 years)) it is relatively near and we can go there whenever we want in the future, Africa, I do not know what wrong with it, but I do not want to go there. So, there is Americas and FarEast Asia left.

Asia
    + everything is cheaper (food, fuel and accommodation)
    + not need to ship bikes by air or sea (except from Nepal to Bangkok, but it is way cheaper than from Europe to USA), saves tons of money and time
    + Hospitality, general safety in region
    + No visas at all for Russians, except India

- climate (too hot and high humidity) for motorbike with full gear
    - we already been there by bicycles (Thai, Vietnam, Laos and Sri Lanka) and surfing (Indonesia, Singapore) for 3 times, so nothing new in culture, food and etc for us
    - relatively small countries for riding motorbikes
    - no work for gringos))
    - Carnet is the must

Americas (USA, Canada, Central America, South America)

+ absolutely new region for us, never been there, except short trip to Canada 10 years ago (food, people and etc - everything new)
    + it is big adventure, a lot of kilometres for our Dr's, a lot of space for riding
    + climate is better in general for riding
    + we can try to find some work in USA (more chances) or Canada (less chances)
    + No need for carnet

- sending two bikes by sea from Europe will cost us minimum $5500-$6000 for both ways + shipping bikes between columbia and panama ($1000-1400 for two bikes), this money, all in all $7000-$8000 we can spend in Asia for half a year or even more, surfing, riding and eating fantastic food on different small island all over SEA Asia
    - in general - petrol, food and accommodation costs more than in Asia even if we plan to use the tent
    - American visa

As you can see there a really big dilemma for us and I would be glad for piece of advise from travellers who visited both parts or who got experience in such controversial questions. Thank you all in advance:clap
  2. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    You would be better off buying bikes here in US than shipping. Then sell when you leave. Russians are generally accepted well here in USA as long as you respect American Values and traditions. You speak great English so that will not be a problem.
  3. Witold

Witold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Everything you said is pretty accurate - and I prefer Asia myself for all the reasons that you mentioned - but if you've never been to North/Central/South America, it will always be on your 'to-do' list. You might as well do it now.

Especially considering the time frame of 1 year, I think the answer is clear: Americas.

If you do end up doing Asia, you should do the 'Stans/India/Nepal and then ship to Malaysia and do Indonesia and Philippines. I also think SE Asia is great... but the riding there is nothing special. When I'm there, I don't even get the itch for a 'proper motorcycle ride'.

Last but not least, you can always do Asian countries in the future just by flying to them and renting motorcycles. You can fly to India and rent or buy a motorcycle for super cheap and have fun for a few weeks. If you buy, your costs will be very minimal. That is something that simply isn't going to happen in the Americas. In the Americas, even if you find a motorcycle rental place, it will cost you thousands of dollars for a few weeks. $70-120/day adds you very fast.
  4. Lostin

Lostin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the reply, my English, especially writing one is far from perfect(( always got bad marks at school:(:

Ye, I was also thinking about buying bikes in US, as even foreigner can get the plates for it, as far as I know. Big advantage of this option is that Americans are so lucky and got such a sweeeeeeeet :rayof price for bikes comparing to Russia, but the major issue is to find two Dr's in one state for a good price, register it and etc.... Of course it is possible, but may be it would be the headache similar to shipping bikes from Europe. Don't know yet)

And yes, I really want to smell, feel and taste all Americans traditions and values that were putted in our brains from childhood by Hollywood
  5. Lostin

Lostin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely true, also thinking in similar way...
  6. blek

blek Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. Lostin

Lostin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much for inviting me at your great county, I fall in love to Indonesia during last winter, 3 months of surfing on bali is one of the best time in my life.
  8. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think climate is "better" or "worse" in either direction, as you're talking about entire continents, both of them will have all imaginable kinds of weather at any given moment, just depends on where you are, and the time of the year. And altitude.

if money is important then Asia, especially the warmer parts of it, will probably be cheaper. But if Americas is all new to you, then it's a tough choice.

..Do them both?? :lol3
  9. Lostin

Lostin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Americas are very long, of course weather will change dramatically, but most part of SE Asia is above equator, so it would be definitely rainy season or dry season depending on time we start. It is really tough choice, that is why I start this thread, a lot of controversial feelings. Doing them both is my favorite dream)
  10. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Asia.
  11. pzs

pzs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    asia... you can ride your way down to Australia from there, for an added option if time permits.
  12. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Americas...

You will be welcomed here.

We will benefit from your presence here.

We have BBQ!
  13. Lostin

Lostin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pleased to hear such things, thank you!

BBQ rocks!!!
  14. cycleadventure

cycleadventure n00b

Oddometer:
    Both places that you have chosen are really good places.. but I think with my cycling and travelling experience, its better to stick to Asia.. Can have Lot of fun at a much affordable rate.. :freaky
  15. spinney

spinney n00b

Oddometer:
    Even though I'm very clearly biased towards America being that I'm from here I honestly think America is the better choice. I haven't been to Asia so I can't really comment based on experience but from what I've seen you'll have a much easier, albiet more expensive time in America.

Plus like someone mentioned earlier, BBQ!
  16. bogey78

bogey78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Americas is my opinion. Look at all the ADVers you'd get to meet (wait, did I seriously just use that as a selling point) Utilizing the "Tent Space Thread" in the trip planning area of ADVrider could save you some dough and help you to meet some great ADVers who could show you around their respective area. The tent space map thread could save you and your GF and huge chunk of change on your trip and really improve the experience.
  17. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    what kind of food do you like? yep, I pick my rides around food!
  18. Kernalpanx

Kernalpanx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hardest part will be crossing the borders on a bike purchased in one of the other countries .... Being China is in Asia .... No license no riding across the borders .... Some of these countries will ask for tariffs to be paid .... Special import licenses for the bike etc.... Bicycling no problem... Motorcycle or scooter ... Different animal.
    We discussed Beijing to Thailand and Vietnam .... It was much cheaper and easier to get their and rent.
  19. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can do China on your foreign plated motorcycle. But not without arranging a guide months in advance, and paying BIG time. Burma used to be not possible, but is now (slowly) going the China way on this.

Almost all other Asian countries you should be able to go with the bike, using either Carnet de passage, or another temporary import permit. No import taxes & duties must be paid, unless the bike overstays the allowed time limit.
  20. Kernalpanx

Kernalpanx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes you can in groups of 10 or more... Law changed in 2007... Guided tours .... And guanxi.. I was once told a deposit of 500000 rmb was needed

Sent from my GT-I9308 using Tapatalk 4 Beta