2011 Bmw G650gs

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Blue&Yellow, Nov 6, 2010.

1. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:
    This is not an X-challenge engine. This is the likely the old F650gs engine with different coloured casings. Nothing wrong with that, it was a good engine. It's likely to have a new computer so tuning will have to wait until a new power commander comes out but most BMWs are smart machines and respond well to new exhausts and filter and removing any obstacles to breathing. It's likely you'll get more response instead of more power but if power is your bag this is probably not the bike for you. This is a commuter/tourer/all rounder/green-lanes maybe type machine and is probably going to be very competent.
    Is it only me that thinks that BMW rebuilding the old F650gs into a new machine is a smart and good move for everyone? It's not for me but if I had to choose it would be this over every parallel twin every single time.
  2. sellmeyer

sellmeyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Okay, I'll offer that it isn't an X-challenge engine, but it absolutely-certainly is not the old F650GS engine. Evidence observed on the LHS engine case cover. The cover matches the X-Challenge design or is at least very similar. Note the clutch cover can be removed without having to remove the whole case cover.

When the G650GS was release I read that the engine was the G650 engine, as in the engine from the X-line of bikes that was phased out of production. This seemed to be the case as the engines looked identical right down to the paint. The new release shows the paint has changed but the engine looks the same to me.

-thoughts?
  3. antonv

antonv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looks like the same rotax engine to me. also read that the tank hold 3 liters less fuel....at least there is fuel gauge on this one.
  4. Rainrider

Rainrider Rainrider

Oddometer:
    Didn't they source this engine from China? For some reason that really bugs me, but try to buy anything these days from other than China, including most everything in the Harley Boutique. I like the white and it does look cool, if the price is close to the KLR 650 Kawie I'd buy the BMW to strap on the Trailer Hitch ramp behind my Jeep, holds up to 600 lbs. Did someone say it doesn't come with the heated grips this year? And what's the price? Under $7k? Was actually wanting some advice on this Chinese engine vs the Rotax derived, does it make a difference in the long run? I guess if it's good enough for BMW, who am I to ???
  5. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:
    Who are you? You're the end consumer... kind of an important link in the chain.

Well it looks to me like this is an F650 with facelift, including the engine. It appears to be the same engine with subtle modifications aimed most likely at simple manufacture. Any parts it shares with the G650 are probably to keep costs down. I don't want to make it sound like this is a bad thing, it's a very shrewd move. it's a cheap machine, BMW have done no research, no development and can sell this a lot cheaper which is what we hear is going to happen. This is aimed at the lower end of the market to compete directly with Jap machines at a cost level. There was nothing wrong with the F650. It was discontinued so BMW could make more powerful 800 twins which they thought was what people wanted. We didn't want that. We wanted solid and reliable machines and the 800 has not turned out to be that. The G650 has held the door open was far too expensive and over-developed for what it is. This is a return of a great machine if it's handled correctly with a top-line ADV version like the Dakar.
  6. Rainrider

Rainrider Rainrider

Oddometer:
    yeah... I guess you've got a point there. :1drink So I could go for the Jap motor instead. ? As long as it's reliable what the hell?
  7. satur9

satur9 angry black guy

Oddometer:
    the g650x has a lighter flywheel and stator. its gets its mostly 3 extra hp from that. the new is still down 2 or 3 from old.????. it does have heated grips standard. and im kinda diggin it. oh and the euro resticted model is 35 horsies. just a software mod.
  8. sellmeyer

sellmeyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, that is how they did it? Originally I thought the engine was just tuned a bit more...I've checked the specs I see that they are both 652cc engines with the same piston and stroke, etc, but I could not find consistent HP/KW specs and I don't have access to the BMW manuals which contain this info.

-The Wiki reports that the G650 engines, both from the X and GS lines were uprated to 53HP with the GS variant containing the original 400watt generator. So I'm still puzzled

The F650GS 2000-2007 was rated at 50HP in the BMW books, so yes, the new one is downrated from both the earlier lineup as well as the original G650 motor.

The Euro restictions were originally 25KW and the F650GS 2000-2007 models offered a compliant restriction on the throttle body where the throttle cable could be relocated to make the bike fit the restriction. This was a mechanical restriciton on the throttlebody, not software. 25KW approximates 33HP, btw.

I think your 35 figure is not HP but KW. Now there is a change, I think, to add an additional licensing step with a 35KW restriction, which approximates the 48HP rating that is being published for the new bike. The licensing is a bit confusing to me but I suspect the downrating of the engine is to make it compliant with the new restriction...?
  9. Mr.Goose

Mr.Goose Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer:
    We got the pricing today - a well spec'd US unit will come in around $8800 not bad. Sorry about the cast wheels.

The engine isn't Chinese on this one, production is back in Munich now. :clap

HP quotes. 3hp down on some earlier figures, but this probably runs the heavier stator and gets more charging voltage.

Throttle/Power restriction is ridiculously simple. Just looking at the throttle body cable linkage spool thingy (tech term) on my XChallenge tells all...imagine the cable gets attached at the 3'o clock position instead of the 12 'o clock position. The throttle cable can then only unwind so much opening....simple.

Would be a funny trick to pull on a friend during an oil change.
  10. satur9

satur9 angry black guy

Oddometer:
    BMW Motorrad has just revealed the new G 650 GS, a new single-cylinder enduro that adds a cheeky, light, and adventurous figure. The G650 GS is powered by a 652 cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder engine with a double overhead camshafts engine that develops 48 HP at 6500 rpm and 60 Nm at 5000 rpm. BMW is also offering a detuned version that develops only 34 HP at 6500 rpm and 47 Nm at 4500 rpm.

i was off 1hp. and i also read( i need to find where i read it) .that the throttle cable thing was to easy to bypass. newer restricted bike need the dealer to change it via a tune.
  11. Rainrider

Rainrider Rainrider

Oddometer:
    are they offering an ADV/PD version of this bike yet? Glad to know the motor is coming from Munich. at least one more thing not by way of China
  12. JimR

JimR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was just over at BMW Motorrad's website in the "News" section reading up on the new 2011 BMW G650GS and I have to tell you I am NOT impressed with the numbers. I am not a horse power junkie, but if you were getting 50-53 HP out of the power plant before why would you de-tune it on a "New and Improved" machine to 48 HP. Years ago (1985-89) when I was in Europe your "tax" for your machine was based on engine displacement, not horse power, I wonder if that has changed? Also, compared to my 2006 F650GS, the new machine has lost almost a whole gallon of fuel. 2006 F650GS holds4.52 gallons. New machine holds 3.7 gallons. Not progress IMHO, especially since they are touting the GS moniker, you know, "the road less traveled" bit. It has been my experience that the road less traveled has nothing to buy, this includes gas. Those owning the 2005 thru 2007 F650GS's may have a better machine, I certainly believe so. Regards, Jim.
  13. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    I have seen some comments about the relative value in the '09~'10 G650GS, with the suggestion that the bike is over priced and thus not a good value. That might have been true in the recent past but BMW has some huge incentives right now and they change the value picture. Bottom line, I just got a brand new '10 for $6700 out the door. That's not much more than a new KLR...remember, I'm talking about all costs included. This is for a bike with ABS, heated grips, and a center stand. You might get an even better deal on a left over '09. If you intend to ride 'till the wheels fall off the year really does not matter much and, truth be told, the '11 does not sound like much of an improvement...just higher cost.
  14. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    bump.

This bike will allegedly come in at less than £5000, and allegedly does 88mpg (imperial) when ridden conservatively.

If the above are true, I would seriously consider this bike (I have never bought a new bike).

I love my 1150GS and I have quite a lot of money in it, but gas prices are approaching £7 a gallon here and predicted to get even worse.

Plus, I really liked my old F650GS and shouldn't have sold it..
  15. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    This might be good.

Would be better with a Dakar version...big tank, spoke wheels, priced just below the 800GS

I could take one of these and my X Challenge and mash them together to create two cool bikes.

Perhaps....Perhaps not.
  16. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    I could be wrong, but I think the 'new' 650 single is the same engine as the XChallenge.

BMW are way ahead of the curve in fuel consumption (ie. the F engines in general). Tax & fuel prices are getting silly here in Europe. It's costing me more to commute by bike than by car, which is ridiculous really.

But I so love the torque on the 1150..:D
  17. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  18. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  19. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  20. smoltz

smoltz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My understanding is that the MSRP won't be much higher than the outgoing model. Obviously there won't be any incentives out of the gate but give it time :-)

Nice deal on the G650GS! Red or Black? I get my G650GS this week. I went for an 09 in White.

-Adam