Your favorite Macgyver moments\tricks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HaChayalBoded, Sep 21, 2008.

1. mike-s

mike-s 2 squeaky wheels

Oddometer:
    Sheer Genius!
  2. Mungo

Mungo Monarch 53

Oddometer:
    Man o man I love this thread. The beer can camoflage is just brilliant. :clap
  3. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    What ???....they don't sell them fake plastic labels anymore. Coca-Cola and 7-Up I remember.:wink:

:beer
  4. svejkovat

svejkovat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, gotta admit I wondered about that one myself. We used to get those from the 'head shop' in town back in the early '70s when those shops were pretty commonplace. I seem to recall they were "Caco-Calo" and "Dr. Peeper", etc, and looked perfectly legit unless you looked really close. Thin plastic that stuck to the condensation. I have not seen them since the '70s tho. Macgyver's got to have seen those too I'd guess, so maybe he's being a bit of a poser on this one.
    :1drink

...postscript... waddyaknow? You can still get these wraps. I just google imaged "caco-calo" and found this...
    [​IMG]

.... on the bottom of this page....
    http://www.bottleblaster.com/store/

Must be more Anonymous Alcoholics out there than I realized.
  5. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Oh man that's funny, reminds me of Danny "Two Cans Dan" and his "road rockets" at 4.00 PM going home after work.:lol3:lol3:lol3
  6. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
    just saw this rolling down I25 north of T or C, i know my camera skills suck. he was running about 50
    [​IMG]
  7. Daamud

Daamud Life is like a box of Old Milwaukee

Oddometer:
  8. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. Daamud

Daamud Life is like a box of Old Milwaukee

Oddometer:
    I think that picture is for showing how the thing is used.

Wonder how that would act behind a Gold Wing? T_T could make some money delivering lighter bikes while wandering around the country.:lol3
  10. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:

:huh
  11. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I've looked for a place to tell this story for years. Thanks Adventure Rider!

I was sent to a BMW car broken down in Washington, DC. The car ran but would not go above creeping speed. Found that the throttle cable was connected but there was another cable along side it. Don't know but think it was some kind of an expansion chamber that worked with the throttle. It was a standard cable construction, stranded wire inside a sheath. There was some of the wire available but not enough to tie the two ends together. I used the cable clamp end of a universal battery cable repair end. I put the two parts of the broken cable in the lead repair part (standard battery cable part) and tightened the steel clamping part. It held. I got to charge for this repair. It was over 20 years ago and I charged the guy $25. He complained but he paid and he also got to drive home.

Charlie
  12. chammyman

chammyman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cruise control vacuum chamber.
  13. Ironforge

Ironforge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everybody,
    just few short hints for the bike equipment necessary for the long rides.

[​IMG]

Gel seat pad, cost me less than 5 euro, at the local "sort of" wall mart shop. Made for bicycle originally.
    It works great on my custom seat. Less pain in the spine on the long rides.

5 euro gps/smartphone holder.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bag like this and duck tape can be used against the rain:

[​IMG]

The connectors are from the car stereo which i don't use. Now i will use them to plug in and charge the smartphone while riding.

Doesan't stick out from the bike like bad improvisation anyway:

[​IMG]

Note: the smartphone holder isn't recommended for off road. Than again it holds pretty strong on highways even on top speed. Always keep the phone plugged in with the charging cable for extra security in case flying off the bike.
    Heavy duty plastic bag is recommended for rain.

That is all for now :wink:
    Combatscoot likes this.
  14. GreaseGorilla

GreaseGorilla Banned

Oddometer:
    A few years ago, while fishing with a friend of mine in the UK at Dovecote lakes in Milton Keynes we were surprised by a very bad and cold night........
    our flashlights had run out, we had no candles and we were colder than hell.
    I had packed some food, we were younger and foolhardier then, used to eat straight from the tin, none of this warm food up crap, so no stove also summer weight sleeping bags.
    well we were below freezing and the tent was colder than a polar bears balls.... so i punched a small hole and a smaller hole also in a tin of tuna with oil, then stuffed a cotton wick in there with the aid of a knife,,,,,,, once said wick was saturated with the sunflower oil, i lit it, trimmed it, and the heat and light made the night a LOT more comfortable...... the cotton wick was the end 2" of a shoestring and the bonus was the next morning we got to eat the tuna.......... 2 for 1!
    when i went for pee at 2am and came back into the tent the difference in temperature was amazing!

just thought i would share that one.....
  15. Kevinhooa

Kevinhooa Pitch pine slalom

Oddometer:
    That beer can sleeve is pretty slick. I've always just put the beer into a red cup or used a ginger ale soda bottle.

On another note, I was helping a friend change out the fork seals on his Magna. The snap rings were rusted in there pretty good and my ring pliers were just not up to the task and wanted to bend (don't worry, we tried the penetrating fluid and the whole 9). So I put the plier nubs into the ring holes, and then squeezed the teeth together with another pair or pliers. Got the rings to pop right out.
  16. herrhelmet

herrhelmet Land n sea adv

Oddometer:
    Broke the suspension bones on my BMW F650 Dakar in Death Valley this winter. Stuck about 50 miles from camp, so I used the tow strap I always carry to lash them together.

The rope wrapped around it was probably unnecessary, but who knows. Rode the bike on a rough dirt road for 15 miles and the highway back to camp.

Luckily I had a spare set in my tool box and kept riding.

[​IMG]
    Combatscoot likes this.
  17. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not my MacGyver moment, but one I witnessed back in 1980 or so was similar. Two guys rolled into a NAPA in an early 70s Impala, needing a U-joint for said Impala. They'd had a couple of failed attempts at getting the right part, so they made a temporary joint out of baling wire so they could pull the joint out to match it physically, yet still be able to drive down the road to go buy it.
  18. danfrit

danfrit n00b

Oddometer:
    not exactly that, but same principle: I was away for a weekend of downhill mountain biking when I crashed and put a huge crack in my helmet's visor (just the visor, the rest of helmet was unscathed). The mountain didn't carry TLD stuff, so sanded the underside if the visor, I mixed a little epoxy from the toolbox and used a 4x4 gauze pad to "glass" it back together. When i got home i found out i couldn't get another visor in the same color scheme, and have been rocking that one ever since.
  19. ptero

ptero Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going back to the posts about breaking beads... Sorry if I missed it, but didn't see any posts about this... Many years ago I had heard of breaking a bead using a second bike's sidestand. Then I had a chance to try it - on a trip w/friends. It was the rear off a 93 Kbike at the time.

I had a flat in front of the Lincoln Memorial at the huge bus loading area. Tried plugs but it wouldn't hold air w/even multiple plugs longer than a half-hour. That got us to a friend's house at least. We pulled the wheel and lined up a friend's bike next to the wheel on the ground. It took a couple people to lean the bike right to raise the sidestand high enough to get the wheel w/flat under it.

Then we leaned the weight of the bike on the rubber, just missing the rim itself. It popped pretty easily. Snazzy. No real MacGuyvering, but a great solution. :clap

Since the only tire available in this garage was a slightly used GS tire, that bike forever became my 93 K1100GS! It fit fine and ran fine - loved it. :evil:evil:evil
  20. arcanum

arcanum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A perfectly useable tire spoon is the small Harbor Freight brake adjusting tool made for drum brakes. I bought 5 of them at $1.10 per each. Yes,I tried the zip tie and other methods,but I keep going back to using spoons for my narrow rims.
    Simply drill the tool in the appropriate spot and use a string or wire to hold it to a spoke...