Helmet that fits Arai Profile wearer?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by davidji, Nov 24, 2012.

1. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    What current model, available in the USA full-face street helmet fits the rider who fits in the Arai Profile?

As far as I can tell manufacturers are going to more neutral helmet shapes. I wear a Profile now, and I wonder what current models I could replace it with. Without pounding out some of the EPS in the front.

I've looked at the helmet shape information on webbikeworld. But I'm curious what works for other Profile wearers.
  2. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Profile.........in a new Arai, the Signet Q is the one that fits best.
    The Schuberth C-3 fits........but left a dent in my forehead.

I did purchase a Shoei Neotec this year as I wanted a flip up helmet.........so there are three helmets that fit your needs.

Cheers
  3. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same size Neotec as profile?
  4. atgatt

atgatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Dent in the forehead means doesn't fit to me. Which rules out all of current Arai line. Yeah I could wear them if I'd modify the EPS liner. Hopefully when I need a new helmet it won't come to that.
  6. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes........
  7. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just to be clear.............The Signet Q fit perfectly.......if I was to replace my Profile with an Arai, I would buy the Signet Q.

Your head may vary:D
  8. pgh

pgh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I replaced a large Profile with a large Signet-Q. Fit great. Actually, I found the fit better for my head.
  9. AKjitsu

AKjitsu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had a few Profiles and find the fit of the Shoei RF 1100 to be almost identical
  10. outsidein

outsidein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I own a Profile and and have tried the Shoei RF-1100 and highly disagree with this statement. The Profile is made for those with a long and narrow head (long oval). Most Shoei's have a rounder shape and fit those with round heads optimally - the opposite of long oval. When I tried on a Shoei RF1100 I had a pressure points on my forehead and back of head and all kinds of room at the sides. These two helmets are on the opposite ends of the fitment spectrum.

Arai now makes the Signet-Q for long oval heads. The Bell RS-1 fits like an intermediate oval helmet and may work on a LO head. Shark make some helmets for a narrower head. Check WebBikeWorld helmet shape guide.
  11. AKjitsu

AKjitsu Been here awhile

Oddometer:

First off, you have nothing to disagree with. I simply stated my own experience. And since you have no damned way to know what my experience has been, what exactly are you disagreeing with? I don’t know what RF 1100 you tried but it sure as hell wasn’t the one I have.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I’m becoming very suspicious of the quality control/consistency of the helmet liners out there; including the premium brands. A lot of guys have successfully switched from the Profile to Signet Q. But when my GF and I (both long time Profile users) bought a couple (to take advantage of the wider eye port, which is substantial) we found that size-for-size our foreheads were being crushed. Sent them back.<o:p></o:p>
    I had a Shark RSI, which fit my long narrow noggin splendidly, for many years. When the interior became so stinky I couldn’t stand it any longer I ordered a new set of guts in the same size. Which made the very same helmet fit all caddywampus on my head.<o:p></o:p>
    I generally respect the guys at Webbikeworld but I’m being forced to the conclusion that the opinions they’re stating regarding helmet shapes are a function just exactly which helmet example they got their hands on.<o:p></o:p>
    From now on, when it’s new helmet time I’m going to a retailer, trying on what they have and, if I find one I like, I’ll take that one home. Not one “just like it”. Not the same model ordered in a different color. The one I just had on my head and no other.<o:p></o:p>
  12. Ape76

Ape76 Gear whore

Oddometer:
    The AGV line specifically the T2 seem to fit your profile so check them out...
  13. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    check out a signet-q yesterday. the exterior/vents are exactly the same as the profile.

what is the improvement in the signet-q other than the $150 price increase?
  14. AlecMyrddyn

AlecMyrddyn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In most respects, the Signet-Q is a long oval version of the RX-Q, designed for more a more upright riding position as well.

Compared to the Profile, the Signet-Q has:

• A new wider viewport
    • The new SAI shield with an inset pinlock that is the same size as the viewport. Clear Pinlock is included with helmet.
    • Tighter fit on the lower jaw area to help with fit and lower wind noise.
    • Peel away 5mm spacers in the liner temple area to adjust the shape if your head isn't as narrow.

I'm also a Profile wearer, and my Profile is due for replacement maybe next year... I've been starting to look for another Long-Oval that fits me. I tried on a Signet-Q and it it fits okay, but not as well as the Profile. I have a little bit of a point to the top of my forehead that I feel pressure on in the Signet-Q, but not in my Profile. Is it because the Profile is broken in? Maybe, but I don't think so.
  15. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1. I tried on an RF-1100 last year at some point to replace my Profile and got an instant forehead head ache.
  16. ADVMAC

ADVMAC Handsome adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same with me rf1100 & x12 Shoei are round oval like the Arai rxq . I went with the signet Q .Love it:clap
  17. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a long oval shaped head and find I have to wear a xxxl helmet in most makes. I have been looking for a half helmet to replace my HJC xxxl, and unfortunately they have discontinued that size. I have also found that there are very few xxxl helmets available from any manufacturers. Helmet Manufacturers, please make xxxl helmets!!!! Thank you.
    Years ago, you could get ski boots foamed to your feet. It would be nice if someone would develope that technology to helmets! Or, you could have your head laser scanned and the foam cnc machined to fit. The technology is there, someone run with this.I need a new helmet.
  18. rhafe123

rhafe123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 3/4 helmet, Z1R in 2XL that fits like a 3 XL. It's pretty decent.
  19. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Arai 3/4 helmet which is still a little tight.I want to replace my HJC Half helmet.
  20. KonaTheHusky

KonaTheHusky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Signet Q is definitely a good replacement for the discontinued Profile, but check the Airmada by ICON for a lower price.

I know ICON has a stigma that says "I'm a dirtbag street rider" but their new Airmada line has a good long oval shape (similar to the old Profile) and a great price point ($190). If I had to rate it between intermediate oval and long oval, I'd say just short of true long oval. I wore a Signet Q in the shop for an hour and felt no pressure points. With my Airmada I can do 5 hours riding and come away with a small red spot, no pain though. I deal with this happily considering I have $300 more in my pocket over the Arai.

The venting, shields, colors, and removable/interchangeable/washable pads are all excellent.

Its also the new ECE 22-05 rated. I know its personal preference, but I go for the new ECE over Snell.

RevZilla and some of the others let you return a new helmet within 30 days if its got all tags and stickers still on it. So order it, put it on, open visor, watch TV.