Jailbreak Your iPhone?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Xeraux, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    iOS 6/6.1 Jailbreak available on Sunday.

http://www.redmondpie.com/evasi0n-i...r-devices-announced-release-likely-this-week/

This is just in. The Evad3rs team have just announced Evasi0n, an iOS 6 / 6.1 untethered jailbreak tool for Windows, Mac and Linux. While the tool hasn’t been released yet, it is currently in final testing stages, and if a recent tweet of MuscleNerd is anything to go by, release is likely set for Sunday.

The announcement was made today on the official Twitter account of team Evad3rs, which consists of prominent iOS devs such as MuscleNerd, Pod2g, Planetbeing and Pimskeks.

The official evasi0n 6.1 jailbreak: evasi0n.com — Check regularly for updates! #evasi0n

Evasi0n will support all firmwares from iOS 6.0 through iOS 6.1, and will be compatible with following devices:

iPhone 5
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 3GS
    iPad 4
    iPad 3
    iPad 2
    iPad mini
    iPod touch 5
    iPod touch 4
    Apple TV 2

The only device which is currently not supported is Apple TV 3.
  2. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Evasi0n Jailbreak Will Be Available For Download On Monday, February 4.

http://www.redmondpie.com/evasi0n-jailbreak-will-be-available-for-download-on-monday-february-4/

Release date of the upcoming iOS 6.x untethered jailbreak has just been confirmed by the official Twitter account of the team Evad3rs. It’s coming on Monday, February 4, 2013.

@Evad3rs: Final count down toward tomorrow’s release has begun!

Planetbeing, who is a member of team Evad3rs, also confirmed the release date:

@Planetbeing: Yes, tomorrow is a concrete release date. It’s also the only release date we’ve ever given.
  3. scram1

scram1 Dark Knight

Oddometer:
    I've got an iPhone4 running 5.1.1, whats the best way to jailbreak so I can tether devices and do other cool groovy stuff. I haven't upgraded to the ios6 because I hear it's more difficult to jailbreak with a new os. true or false? oh, and I'm a mac guy, so I need mac friendly options.
  4. bobobob

bobobob IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Oddometer:
  5. MikeinEugene

MikeinEugene Long timer

Oddometer:
    My brother just gave me an old iphone 3. I got AT&T to unlock it so I can try out T-mobil's $30/month no contract plan (unlimited data, text, 100 minutes).

It's running the latest I could get from Apple but none of the apps in the store work with it (don't have it with me so can't remember the OS version...4.x I think).

Would it do me any good to jailbreak this phone so I can get a newer OS installed?
  6. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Here's a quick tutorial about how to jailbreak your iDevice using the new Evasi0n Jailbreak tool.

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak...ces-untethered-using-evasi0n-how-to-tutorial/

The iOS 6 / 6.1 untethered jailbreak has now become a reality, thanks to the hard work from those involved in the newly formed Evad3rs jailbreak team. The release of the new userland-based Evasi0n jailbreak tool means that users now have an extremely efficient way of making a complicated background process seem extremely simple.

Supported devices:

As mentioned in our previous post, Evasi0n supports all 20+ variants of iOS devices, including the likes of iPhone 5, on iOS 6.0 through iOS 6.1. Apple TV 3 though is not supported.

Supported firmware versions:

iOS 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2, 6.1 are all supported.

Requirements:

A computer running at least Windows XP or above, Mac OS X v10.5 or above, Linux
    An iOS device running iOS 6.x
    A USB cable for connection your iOS device to your computer.
  7. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:

More difficult? True. Up until today, that is. From Sept. 2012 until yesterday, the only option has been a "tethered" jailbreak meaning that if you have to restart your iPhone it had to be connected to the computer to maintain your jailbreak.

Now, this new tool gives us an untethered jailbreak. The only way to remove the jailbreak on this one is to update the software or to do a factory restore.
  8. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, no. A jailbreak is just a patched version of the current iOS software. You may be able to apply an older jailbreak to your iPhone, but you'll probably run into the same problem with the apps in Cydia.
  9. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Of course, the Cydia servers are so overloaded that it's impossible to download or restore any of your Cydia apps. It's going to be a week before I can get my iPhone set up again. :umph

I at least got BiteSMS and SwipeSelection installed before Cydia stopped loading. :bluduh
  10. Gimpinator

Gimpinator Core Dumper

Oddometer:
    Just did the Evasion 6.1 jailbreak on my iPhone 5. Xeraux is right that the Cydia servers are laboring hard, but I finally succeeded in getting iBlacklist loaded onto my phone.

At long last - an effective tool to rid myself of nuisance phone calls and text messages!

Looking forward to discovering all of the new tweaks and hacks. Up to now I've been a law-abiding iPhone user. :evil
  11. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Ugh. Lockinfo 5 sucks. :bluduh

Edit:

Just found this video.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r-PaEBN9108" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Actually, If I could *ever* get past the license screen (which I'm sure was completely overwhelmed like everything else), based on this video, I might actually be able to set this thing up to do what I want.
  12. Gimpinator

Gimpinator Core Dumper

Oddometer:
    Xeraux -

This is a LONG ad-blocking hosts file and it works very well. Browsing is zippy and virtually ad-free:

http://jamesisbored.com/iphone/adblock

I've also found an (Edit: SOMEWHAT) effective way to kill the iAds that pop up in free apps. Life is good :clap
  13. JamesM

JamesM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How did you go about asking for this? I have a 3G, 3G S, and 4 i'd like to unlock but ATT said they wouldn't since it was never offered to any other carrier. However, they unlocked my 4S after ending my contract.
  14. MikeinEugene

MikeinEugene Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was more painful than it should have been....went to the AT&T store, they gave me a customer service # to call & said they wouldn't/couldn't do it in the store.

Called & talked for a few minutes to find out he couldn't/wouldn't help either but he did give me a website to go to to request an unlock. I did it from home so don't have it here. My little bro had to do the request. They wanted the phone # & last 4 of his SSN. Took a day or two after that & it was done.

Looks like I need a 3gs or 4 to be able to stay current with apps. I still don't have my sim activation card from Tmobile so haven't been able to test the new system at all.
  15. JamesM

JamesM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had the previous versions of this on iOS 4? and 5 and liked the older design better. For some reason Lockinfo5 keeps all your notifications closed by default instead of expanded. Swipe left > Reply - doesn't seem to work either from the lockscreen.
  16. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    I've been using LockInfo since my 3GS and LockInfo 4 was one of the reasons you jailbroke your iPhone in the first place.

Yeah. LockInfo 5 is basically just a replication of the iOS notification center on your lock screen. If it was working properly I think it'd be okay, but you can tell that LI5 is very much a beta. I can't get any of the widgets that are displayed in the Notification Center to display in the "widget view" of LI5. The developer has updated his repo twice yesterday and twice this morning. It's working differently every six hours. He's being pretty responsive to questions and bug reports people are posting to his support site, https://getsatisfaction.com/lockinfo . I'm going to hang on to it while he works though some things, but he's posted it'll never be the same as LI4.
  17. MikeinEugene

MikeinEugene Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up...

The iOS 7.0.4 untethered Jailbreak is out.

http://evasi0n.com/

You can now updated your Jailbroken iOS 6.x iPhone to the most recent version of iOS 7 and Jailbreak it.

Again, it's no more difficult to Jailbreak your iPhone than it is to lauch an application on your Mac or Windows box. The application takes care of everything.
  19. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Cydia Substrate (formerly Mobile Substrate), basically the code insertion platform for the jailbreak, was released this morning.

We'll start seeing most of the tweaks and jailbreak apps being recompiled for ARM64 and hitting the repositories really soon.