Utards whos riding what

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by frog, May 22, 2008.

1. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:

Well it is after today! :lol3
  2. STARSKEY

STARSKEY Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    After almost two years of not riding due to lack-of-bike-due-to-lack-of-money (had to sell our matched set of DR650SE's to buy the wife a car) I am happy to announce that I picked up this little beast this morning:

[​IMG]

Granted, it may not be the most intimidating bike on the planet, but it was in my price range. I'm not sure which feature was the real selling point, but I really like the custom tail rack (held on by hose clamps), the self-lubricating chain (the final output seal leaks), or the fact that it is possibly still running on its original tires (the bike has less than 2000 miles on it).

Good times......it's been way to long since I've been able to ride.
  3. Roostre

Roostre Disco

Oddometer:
    Sweet bike! Gotta love the auto-oilers like that. Keeps them from rusting, too! :freaky
  4. dentedvw

dentedvw Where did I put that

Oddometer:
    I need help in Bountiful tomorrow, real bad. If someone could lend a hand for an hour at any time, it would be super appreciated. I have to move the Jeep hardtop from Woods Cross to Bountiful, because we are turning over the rental on Tuesday. If it's not out of there, I don't know what will happen, but it will not be good. :huh
    Call or text to 801 200 2513

I planned to wheel it out to the Toyota pickup on a two wheeled cart, drag it into the bed (smaller?!) and then reverse the process two miles away.
  5. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you kick start it before you bought it? Those things can be mean. Other than that nice score.:thumb
  6. STARSKEY

STARSKEY Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    I kickeded it over cold with no choke. It lit on the second try.....that's part of what told me this might be "the one"...ya know? I was teaching my wife to start it this afternoon (she got spoiled on that DR650 with the electric start) and even she can light it on a few kicks....and she weighs like 120.

Makes me mucho happy. :clap
  7. trackhead

trackhead Transient

Oddometer:
  8. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Gents... and I use that term rather lightly...I am in need of someone who can weld and "manipulate" aluminum in the Salt Lake vicinity.....
    You see, I was out for a little jaunt with some fellow inmates (you know who you are) when I decided to test out the beast's "crash protection system"... you know... in case I ever really needed it..... :evil
    Unfortunately, the touratech pannier recieved some "modifications' and it is no longer water tight or able to mount onto the bike......:becca
    Can you believe they actually want $800 for ONE pannier??? I mean seriously.. I'm not a total cheapskate, but that's ridiculous.... :eek1

It would be most helpful if it would be possible to do the work at my place, as I'm not able ride the bike at this time (waiting for parts to come in) and I think we will need to match up the pannier to the mounting rack for fitment.

I can compensate you "as needed" :evil :hide

Kevin: Eight Oh One - Four Five Five - Ten Forty Two
  10. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Can you make it to Texas? If not, Harcus is your man.
  11. quota

quota Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks great. 23" front wheel?
  12. STARSKEY

STARSKEY Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Uh, yeah. What was the thing about super-sized front tires in the late 70s and early 80s? I'm sure I can find replacements, but something tells me they are way less abundant than 21"

I wonder how much it'd mess up the geometry to re-string the hubs to 17" and 21" rims instead of 18" and 23". Probably not worth the doing, but it's fun to think about.
  13. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Thanks Hick!

I'll hit him up and tell him you offered his FREE help! :rofl
  14. harcus

harcus Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, I am headed out today to deliver the van for Pilo to return from No Idaho. I will ride the TID backwards, North to South, starting Thursday morning. I expect to meet Phil n Chris at Wallace but who knows.

Phil is posting on his blog site...fishwrites.com

You can track me here starting Wed / Thursday...

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0k5nQsEVEf9n1emG1En4fgXuKV7kpNyLr

More of this...

[​IMG]

I plan to ride to my doorstep in SLC making the ride a 1360 + 150 = 1510 mile ride on the EXC.

Should be fun!

Later...:D
  15. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Went up through Soapstone Basin and crossed over to Duschene Ridge and then came out in some private gated community with a VERY bored and scary (in his mind) security guard, who let us ride to like 6 miles down to within a stone's throw of the exit into Kamas, before passing us (after motioning for us to slow down :huh )and making us turn around and ride back up and over into Heber....(DICK) :mad? Which turned out to be great cause we found some more awesome riding....:wink:

Anyway, about 100 miles or so of trail / road, perfect weather and a great time. (and nobody fell while moving :evil )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OH, and just a word of advice.... see how that KTM is parked next to an embankment, and see how the ground is going away on the right side of the bike? And you see how the kickstand is really tall, and it's hard to touch the ground on a 530 when you get on one?
    Don't do that..... :rofl

[​IMG]
  16. trackhead

trackhead Transient

Oddometer:
    Have fun, be safe.

Nothing wrong or odd about using an EXC for a ride like that.
  17. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Easy for you to say, you're not an ass. Well at least not a Harcus ass.
  18. GISkev

GISkev wwfsmd?

Oddometer:
    Got home safe, be even more importantly, no speeding tickets! Did a loop of about 3000 miles of 20% open straight away one lane hwy, and 80% 2nd/3rd gear high rev twisties...

I did stop at Great Basin Nat'l Park for a tour of the caves and a hike:
    [​IMG]

...and camped at my buddies place that works there:
    [​IMG]

and it's a quiet place out there, so we invited this xmas tree to a rave that we threw down!
    [​IMG]
  19. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just helping him over the guardrail.:shog
  20. Trailtwister

Trailtwister To the peak!

Oddometer:
    You go, boy!! Wish I could join you. I'll be watching your tracks.