Bmw navigator v launched !

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by atg, Sep 20, 2013.

1. kencc

kencc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very disappointed no XM
  2. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    That does seem like an odd deletion except for the fact that this unit is being made for people who purchase BMW motorcycles all over the world, most of whom have no idea what XM even means

I will run my Garmin 376C as a secondary unit which has XM radio and live NEXRAD weather because I've never felt that one GPS was enough to put on a bike... :rofl
    Below is a picture of the setup for my 2005 GS from a long time ago hence the navigator 2

[​IMG]
  3. WindSailor

WindSailor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OR... activating a route while on the road.

While on a trip last year I created a quick route in the motel room, checked it to see what roads were taken (wanted to show the wife a specific road) to that destination. All was good.

Got on the bike in the morning, forgot to activate the route until the first stop light in town. That -little bit of difference- rerouted me to use another road.:eek1 And I didn't realize it until I was into this new route about 50 miles or better. We missed that one. You know - preferences - shorter distance - and avoidance's...

The shorter distance preference has taken me on some roads that became an interesting option just because I wouldn't have planned it that way. Some were good, some were not. Rerouting on the 665 has a lot to improve on. Especially when its telling you to go back 5 miles and make the correct turn; instead of turning right and going 1 mile and hitting the same road.

Is "shaping points" another word for "waypoints"?

You can define your route better now with Base Camp and using waypoints in your route. The only problem with that is you now have those waypoints saved into your Favorites if I remember correctly. Once you've ridden that route you have a lot of clean up in your waypoint section to get rid of those waypoints.

It's going to be interesting how the Nav V handles those shaping points.
  4. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Shaping Points are not equivalent to Waypoints, Via Points or Stops. All terms Garmin has used with various models and software over the years. If this unit is truly using Shaping Points they will not show in your Favorites since they are not Waypoints(Via Points,Stops). Shaping Points are not visible within the Route on your GPS. BaseCamp has the ability to set the via points in a route to Shaping Points.
  5. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    will i be able to import all of my old .gpx files i've made over the years from my other garmin units?
  6. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    [SPECULATION]

The superficial answer to that question is, most likely. The caveat would be, routes will have to be recalculated because the maps will be different - unless this new unit supports not recalculating Imported Routes.

This unit isn't even available yet in the US and Garmin hasn't even announced a companion device under the zumo brand. So, knowing the details of the software are a bit premature.
  7. Brahma

Brahma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like I made the right decision going with a Galaxy S4..

5 " screen, $150 vs $1k, and one less piece of hardware.

Bye Garmin!
  8. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:

I completely and humbly apologize for ever doubting you.
  9. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    I do see your point and I appreciate your answer.
    I believe this is the first time a BMW navigator model has come out that has no corresponding United States Garmin unit which is so odd.
    I guess am glad that the build of my GS for 2014 has been delayed. I canceled my navigator 4 purchase and have asked for navigator 5 to be installed. I fully realize this might have to be done after I take the bike home as no one knows when these units will be available for United States dealers

again, I appreciate your reply
  10. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    while I see your point the truth is I would never trust my only cell phone to be hard mounted on a twin bike because of the vibration through the handlebars which can certainly destroy a cell phone in a relatively short period of time in a way that the overpriced garmin units would tolerate much better. I need my cell phone when I arrive at a destination and I have a galaxy S4 and a galaxy note to and I love Google maps and integrated navigation and I use that in my car exclusively even though I have installed navigation in my Nissan Armada. However the intense vibration that can occur through the handlebars and transmitted into a mounted cell phone concerns me a great deal.
  11. Brahma

Brahma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a brand new Zumo 550 I bought for an IronButt in 2008 that died on the trip, so I'd rather take my chances at a buck fifty than seven hundred. Staring at a ridiculously expensive, lifeless screen for over 1,200 miles tends to make me re-evaluate things, like purchasing overly-inflated, poorly engineered items with a limited lifespan, even when they work.

If Garmin approached their motorcycle units with their aviation team of engineers, instead of interns, I might again reinvest.
  12. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    i'm fully onboard with your very valid points
    for whatever reason i STILL support Garmin, even thought i could go to PARIS and LONDON for the money i've spent on their products over the years.... SADLY :D
  13. mefly2

mefly2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm .... now many smartphones with nav can be purchased for the cost of one BMW 5 unit? Just interjecting a thought ...
  14. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    I use a phone for music and phone calls via an Interphone F5XT, if the NAV IV worked properly I could leave the phone in my pocket and link it thru the GPS, but it doesn't.
    I currently use the BMW Nav IV (aka: $800 waste of money) but I also had my phone(s) mounted to the handlebars for the past several years with no problems, the first phone was a Motorolla Droid X, then a Bionic and now a RAZR Maxx HD.

Mobile phones are probably more robust than most people realize, my RAZR even came from the factory with Nano-coating which makes it semi-waterproof, it has withstood many torrential downpours sitting on the handlebars.

My concern with the New Nav V is that the guts may still largely be Nav IV which is an abysmal pile of shit.
  15. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Is your assessment of the IV driven by the (apparent) bluetooth issues you describe, or does it fail to perform its core mission of navigation as well?
  16. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    The Bluetooth issue is a biggie, so is the audio sound quality, it also has marginal navigating qualities as well, my $79 Nuvi does a better job, its slow, the screen is too dim for a device designed to be used outdoors, it will not hold the zoom level if you change screens and the list goes on.
  17. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    I would think you could set your navigation preferences to be identical to those of a Nuvi, no? I think in settings > tools > map detail there might be a way to set your zoom level for above or below 30 mph. Did you try that?

I'm not a bluetooth guy (prefer wires) so I don't know about that. I don't want any audio out of my GPS beyond voice directions.
  18. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    You would naturally assume that you could set the zoom just like a cheap Nuvi but nope, It doesn't work that way, its like the software in this unit is 10 years old.
    I also understand that many riders don't care about music or phone use while riding, I'm not one of them and I simply would like this expensive device to work as advertised, like it should.
    Bluetooth is a great feature and my phone works absolutely perfect with the F5XT.
    One if its biggest problems is the dim screen.

I'll be one of the first to pony up for the new Nav V when it hits the ground, but I'll also be one of the first to return it, if it exhibits too many of the same issues that the Nav IV has.
  19. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    One high end phone or two cheap ones.
  20. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Hey, just for fun, head over to https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/escalateForm.htm and send them an email asking if there is going to be a new Gamin Zumo released that is like the new BMW Navigator V that was just announced.

Maybe if enough of us ask, they will come up with an answer. :deal

Although, I am not holding my breath... :baldy