dualsportmaps.com - Android App

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by craftycoder, May 26, 2011.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

The speedo works fine on 4.2.x, but the compass is lagging and generally not responsive. It works on other apps. Here, it should have been reading south:

[​IMG]

Also, when I try "download overlay maps" it crashes:

[​IMG]
  2. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    You are in airplane mode which is why the overlay maps are not working. My tablet shows a friendly error message asking if you are online rather than crashing though. My compass is working perfectly on my tablet. My phone's compass is a little sluggish but I wouldn't describe it as not working. I'm not sure why it is slower than the tablet though. I only use the magnetometer when you are not moving so I think the compass will still work fine when you are actually riding. I'll put that on the list of things to look at.
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Doh! Airplane mode!

Tried the compass again, OK this is weird. The composed works in oruxmaps and osmand, but not gpsstatus or DSM . most likely not an issue with DSM then.
  4. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to search for a waypoint by address, name of business or? I can't seem to figure out how to add a waypoint other than zooming in on a random spot on map and naming it. I've watched the video(s) and tried searching but can't find the answer. Probably, because the answer is no:lol3
  5. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Indeed, the answer is no.
  6. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Google is expected to shutdown the maps API the website is using to display and edit maps on Tuesday. I expect a significant service disruption if this happens. I've been working on writing the website for the new API but I don't believe in miracles and it took at least 6 months of work to write it the first time and I've had about 6 hours to invest in this so far and I"m not impressed with how swell the conversion is going. If the API really is shit-canned on Tuesday, then I expect the website to be down for a while. The android app will continue to work and you will continue to be able to download tracks and overlays from the server, you just will not be able to upload or edit tracks until I've had a chance to rewrite the site.

This has been covered many times before. The website is very expensive to operate and it generates about $80/month in donations these days. Something like 5% of my break even cost not including my labor which has always just been donated. I requested your help to create a labor fund to help get the site rewritten 6 months ago but I was only able to raise roughly enough money cover a single month of operating costs (which I would describe as a failure). The site has continued to be quite popular with just shy of 27 million page views so far this year. Unfortunately I don't know how to turn users into operating cash so dualsportmaps.com remains an under-funded well loved website which Google plans to kill next week. There is always a chance Google gives us another reprieve from impending doom but I'm not confident.

I'll keep looking at the code to see what I can get working sooner rather than later. We may just have to slowly rebuild the functionality.
  7. Hawk62cj5

Hawk62cj5 2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer:
    That blows . Why is google pulling their API ?
  8. Strega

Strega Black is a color

Oddometer:
    They aren't, they're moving to a newer version and the old version will no longer work soon.
  9. NHBill

NHBill Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer:
    :( but I get it. I'm doing the monthly donation, wish I could do more. Maybe if I win the lottery...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
  10. ban

ban Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is disappointing to hear the issue with the Google API. Recently I began to use the website and was very impressed. It provides a great level of function but is not too complicated to use.

Will the website still work with the other maps such as OSM? I enjoy using the OSM maps. If there is an error then you can fix it instead of waiting for GM to fix it.
  11. tommu56

tommu56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to put overlay on Google earth (I finally upgraded to a computer that will work with it) is there any way to move The cross hairs on overlay to a know point (ie city)
    It would make it easier to locate the overlay on Google Earth easier

tom
  12. JsutGypsy

JsutGypsy Dead End Roads

Oddometer:
    It sounds like you need to find a way to monetize the site. Perhaps you could do a Kickstarter leading into an inexpensive monthly / yearly subscription access. You could give 3 month, 6 month, 1 year, 5 year, lifetime subscriptions for those that donate to the Kickstart. And you should start charging a couple bucks for the apps.
  13. avc8130

avc8130 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I tried searching and I just must not be using the correct terms.

Can I use this app to plan rides (on the streets) from the comfort of my computer and then follow them with the app telling me where to go?

ac
  14. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sucks crafty. Just when i started learning the software. Everyone is going to tell you what you need to do to save your labor of love. I'll do the same as a customer and believer in what you're building.

There isn't, currently a mapping solution, available for phones that truly replaces a dedicated GPS. For me, the biggest reason is figuring routes & tracks then magically having them appear on our phone. DSM solves the track side, but not the routes, but damn it works well! I know Street use isn't what DSM was designed for, but if it did both, you could market it to anyone, making a pay site make sense.

Is it possible to do something on your end that accesses something like co pilot or others? Even a backdoor solution would work.

Just a thought and some unsolicited advice. Theres a market for what you've accomplished, but it needs to reach more people so you can quit your day job:lol3

Respectfully,
  15. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Kickstarter turned me down.
  16. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Google Navigator already provides this on the road service. For me, the weakness of the phone was the trail and I've solved that.
  17. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    The app doesn't do routing, it is all about tracks so while it can actually talk to you it is not the purpose for it and it doesn't do it very well.
  18. BanhXeo

BanhXeo Sushiman

Oddometer:
    Crafty I would imagine you have contacted google already in the past regarding your app and how it works. I think we all can agree they did a good job of mapping the streets but a horrible job on the dirt tracks due to the lack of data. I cant imagine google not wanting to be able to use that data that we have all contributed to due to your app to better there's. It just seems to me it would make both sides very happy.
  19. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    The Android app will continue to work. I problem is the website. Anyway, Google doesn't want to talk to me. They are a 100 billion dollar company with billion dollar problems. My problems are not worth $15,000 :evil
  20. Strega

Strega Black is a color

Oddometer:
    Well this issue is old code vs new code. They've updated their software on their end (it's since been updated AGAIN) and now it's time for the users to update their end.

I had to do the same with my SPOT mapping site, http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com but on a much smaller scale than Crafty's DualSportMoto.com site. I just display data, Crafty actually allows you to create data, edit data, save data, and so much more.

I spent several hundred hours on my site, so multiply that by 10 and that's what he's had to do with his site.

It's a ton of work and I hope everyone will subscribe to his site and just pitch in $10/month for such a phenomenal service.