Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. ravelv

ravelv from Baltic side of river

Oddometer:
    That's right, but still when changing octane, ignition advance also should be changed according to octane used most. Just by using these newer CDI's for 95 octane I'm running most, I got quite noticeable less fuel used.

BTW, here is cheaper option with possibility to adjust CDI by user with software:

http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm

2. Porkchop316

Porkchop316 Patent pending Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I finally had a few minutes to get out to the shed and pull/switch the CDI units. The tach did come back when the units were switched. The bike runs but a cylinder is still cutting out. I took pretty detailed notes that I will not go into now. However, I was surprised that these units seem to "come and go" in my testing — so I guess they fail partially rather than all or nothing.

I think I will try to order new units via eBay (USA) or Honda unless anyone here steps forward with any for sale.

Thanks.
  3. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    PC.... The CDI's do both, they fail interminently and immediately light a light bulb burning out. Since the tach came back to life but the bike was still running on one cylinder then the CDI on the right side is the bad one.
  4. Porkchop316

Oddometer:
    Right or left? UMMMM... I'll get two and either replace both or carry a spare. I assume they are completely interchangeable.

Thanks for your help on this. I'll report back when the new units arrive.

Anything else I should look at while I'm poking around?
  5. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    They are interchangeable but your CDI this is now on the right side appears to be the dead one, keep the good one as a spare.
  6. Mika_AT

Mika_AT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks !
  7. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
    That's what I seem to remember. Do you know where I can find a selection of them in different sizes online?

That's interesting, there's no room for a wire gasket in there.

Your pipe should definitely have a clamp, you can use a standard hose clamp from an auto parts store, but they rust quickly. Or you can order fancy ones (check the size before ordering) from various places.
  8. xr2bfree

xr2bfree Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New 1998 moonstone ta.......runs great, goes just about anywhere.....but as soon as I stop for any amount of time the temp. starts to creep up....any ideas.....pk
  9. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Also re this, at what temp or part of your gauge does your fan come on?

My fan has never come on yet, fuses are good so presuming a problem somewhere else. My gauge has indicted to just below the red line, on an 87 600 Transalp.:ear
  10. dfc

dfc nonattractive

Oddometer:

FYI

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00317077U/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details
  11. Porkchop316

Oddometer:
    Hey dfc,

Thanks for the link. I have already ordered a couple of units from these guys this afternoon.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Honda-XL600V-XL-600-V-Transalp-CDI-Box-Ignition-Module-IHA6001-/130617376822?hash=item1e69670036&item=130617376822&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_2634wt_1173

I'll post after I receive and install them.

Thanks to all who offered input on this. I do not post often but I greatly appreciate collective knowledge of this group.

And I'll be interested in the input for xr2bfree regarding the fan. I went with a manually operated switch to run my fan which seems to do the job but I do worry a bit about overheating on hot summer days. I'd love to find a better solution.
  12. tgeliot

tgeliot Topher

Oddometer:
    As most people who have tried to mount Givi crash bars on a Transalp know, their fit leaves a bit to be desired. When I went to mount mine, I ended up doing it by first getting the front mounts in place and tightened, then aligning the rear bolts and bolting them in. It took a little persuasion:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    jerrekan likes this.
  13. potski

potski Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer:

Tell me about it, ....it took me, my wife, several clamps and a large hammer plus prayers to fit mine......good to go now though :D

Cheers
    Potski :freaky
  14. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    It's always the left side,
  15. locorider

locorider Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer:
  16. locorider

locorider Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer:
    pics please!
  17. trex300

trex300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey fellow TAers,

I had intended to improve the off-road ability and ride height of my Transalp, so I sourced a complete '95 XR600R front end(triple trees, forks, rim,brakes and master cylinder), had it completely rebuilt with all new parts (Dunlop 606 & HD tube, EBC brakes, Tusk wave rotor, forks were very clean inside and new fork oil installed). After doing all this I was offered a V-strom I couldn't pass up.

Short story is I sold the Transalp, bought the V-strom and now have a complete front end with nothing to go on.

Anyone from the board looking to do the XR front end swap to their TA? Figure I'd show it here first before it gets posted in the flea market. I'll also be posting what's left of my parts TA, no point in keeping those parts either I guess.

PM for more details and pics.
  18. Backonthebike

Backonthebike Giddy up

Oddometer:
  19. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    I just noticed that I am coming up on 6 years since I started riding Transalps, just curious about the rest of you, how long have you owned one?
  20. Clockwatcher

Clockwatcher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my first one in 02, in 04 I started drinking that orange koolaid for a while.
    I think in 06 is when I came back to the TA's and still here.....the more i ride it the better I like it........:freaky