The 1200 Tiger Explorer Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by dutchie, Sep 17, 2010.

?

Explorer or Explorer/XC

1. Explorer

2. Explorer/xc

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. creggur

creggur There are no curves here.

Oddometer:
    Jacksonville, Fl. aka Flatandstraightsandistan...
    If you're 6' tall with a 32" inseam the Tenere WILL buffet the shit out of you (don't ask me how I know)...

Of course the fix for me was a $125 windscreen - so, on the dollar side you still come out way ahead...

Do love the looks of the Explorer, and I'm sure it's a fine, fine ride, but I have no regrets getting the Tenere. YMMV...
  2. Voluhzia

Voluhzia iExplorer

Oddometer:
    I did. If I buy extended warranty at the time of bike purchase they offer 2 additional years for $950, for 3 - add $100, for 4 - add another $100... So, for 7 years makes $1250, 2 years of Triumph and 4 whichever company dealerships use. Also, only OEM warranty covers ABS, for extended you need to pay additional $120 one time per whichever plan you choose, or something...
  3. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    For you guys that typically buy extended warranties, how many of you have actually needed it? I never buy an extended warranty and so far I've only had one bike where it may have paid off and that's my Honda CBF1000. Replaced a fuel pump, $750 and a stator $330, so I'm into it for $1080. But I'm still ahead because this is the only bike that has ever needed repairs out of warranty.
  4. Voluhzia

Voluhzia iExplorer

Oddometer:
    Friend of mine, an owner of K1300GT with 37500 miles has clutch basket disintegrated and locked bunch of stuff inside. BMW Warranty good till June 2012, but exceeded 36K limit, $3000 out of pocket - which is rough estimate... Show stopper for him and shame on BMW...
  5. vicster

vicster Long timer

Oddometer:
    6'7" and 38" inseam. Buffeting is the deal maker/breaker with me, especially with what for me will essentially be a traveling bike.
  6. Too Many Toys

Too Many Toys Adventure Poseur

Oddometer:
    Just off the Lincoln hiway in Ioway & Mesa, AZ
    Rode my E1200 about 180 miles today, the first ride of any distance (thanks to the crappy weather). Twice while coasting to a stop in neutral the engine just quit. 1st time I didin't even realize it as the bike is so smooth & quiet. It isn't a big deal because it fires right up when you thumb the starter.

Anyone else experience this?

P.S. I LOVE this bike. So smooth & powerful.
  7. rhinoWERX

rhinoWERX Crikey mate!

Oddometer:

I thought long and hard about the Yamaha too - comparing cost, spoked wheels versus cruise control... What sold me on the Triumph, in comparison, was the engine - and it's soul :thumb
  8. bross

Oddometer:
    And that's when you find out if a manufacturer stands behind their machines or not. I'm disappointed in Honda Canada, because the stator issue is a known problem with the CBFs and Honda UK have been quietly replacing stators even out of warranty, and just recently have issued a tech bulletin on it and extended the warranty. No such love from Honda Canada so I'm done with Honda. Which is funny because when the tranny in my Odyssey grenaded 20,000kms out of warranty, Honda gave me a loaner car for the 3 days it took them to replace the tranny, all at no charge.
  9. bross

Oddometer:
    Echo's of the Tiger 800s. I wouldn't be concerned, Triumph will get the fueling and map right. I think it's one of the things we have to deal with now that almost all bikes are FI. They try to catch all the bugs in testing, but lets face it, the bikes are more and more dependent on software and you're gonna have some bugs to iron out. Some manufacturers struggle to get the fueling right, but Triumph seem to do a pretty good job of it.
  10. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    OT, but which screen? I'm your dimensions and looking now...

Trevor
  11. NewYorkLuke

NewYorkLuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have never bought an extended warranty, but this is a first year bike and this is triumphs first shaft drive (if i recall correctly) so, if in 30k miles the final drive goes (about 3 years riding for me in upstate NY) I don't want to be paying out of pocket. I want this bike to last me a very long time. I have jumped from bike to bike every year but this is it for me for awhile. Time to start thinking about building a house and some day I will have to have a truck payment again. I'll have to see what my dealer offers for and extended warranty and what it does and doesn't cover and weigh the cost.

12. NewYorkLuke

Oddometer:
    This is too bad I have read stories of BMW taking care of issues well out of time warranty. Like a ten year old bike with only 13k and the motor popping. Guess they are serious about their milage, 36k is all you should expect out of a BMW.

13. NewYorkLuke

Oddometer:
    +1 There is just something about that triple that no UJM twin (or any motor for that matter) can do for me.

14. jvo

jvo n00b

Oddometer:

Extended warranty quoted to me would be an additional 4 years after the 2 year Triumph warranty (Total 6 years), unlimited mileage for $750 at time of new bike purchase. Was told it covers everything the Triumph warranty covers and is transferable if I were to sell/trade in the bike.
  15. creggur

creggur There are no curves here.

Oddometer:
    Jacksonville, Fl. aka Flatandstraightsandistan...
    First off, let me apologize for bringing talk of a different bike into the Explorer thread. It's not my intent to hijack this thread with OT tomfoolery, or to make it seem like I'm trying to convert anyone to the Tenere congregation from here.

I went with the California Scientific Tinted Shorty screen. It is 2" shorter and a touch narrower than the stock screen. Of course there is additional airflow, which is not a bad thing in Florida 10 months out of the year. Having said that I believe there is a design flaw on the stock screen that was causing my buffeting issues. The airflow coming off the stock unit would hit just above my visor, and it was so dirty it felt like someone was playing para-diddles on my forehead with a pair of 9 irons. It was literally teeth rattling.

With the CalSci shorty the airflow now hits me mid-visor, but the air is clean, thus no buffeting. If you're looking to sit in a pocket of still air, this is not the solution for you.

Back to my design flaw theory. About two inches from the top of the stock screen the plastic angles near vertical, and I think that's what causes the disturbed airflow. I will likely go with the CalSci Medium(two inches taller than the stock screen) for our two 'colder' months here to cut down the amount of air hitting me. The design shape is the same as the shorty, just larger in dimension, so I believe(as I haven't tested it yet to prove it) that will provide the pocket of still air many riders look for.
  16. GaelicDog

GaelicDog Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer:

I think each dealer or area sells different extended warranty packages or providers. This is the first time I have ever bought an extended warranty on ANYTHING. It was $1200 for 5 years, unlimited miles. So, this bike is covered for 7 years, top to bottom. The clincher for me is that if I do not use the extended warranty, mine refunds the full amount. I'll fix anything within reason and let the extended warranty cover the catastrophic events should there be one.

And for an earlier post. This is Triumphs first "single sided" shaft drive swing arm.
  17. vicster

vicster Long timer

Oddometer:
    As has been stated, this is Triumph's first single swing arm shaft drive, and I have to admit this concerns me. Their first shaft drive was on the Rocket 111, and they had a lot of output bearing failures. To Triumph's credit, they did step up and fix a lot of them out of warranty, even installing an update kit at the same time. My early Rocket had this failure at ~ 25K, but I've seen '05 failures at as few as 1800 miles. So far my 2010 Roadster is good at 11K. I think personally I'm going to wait and see how it goes.
  18. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Saw two in the wild today.

Had the briefest of words with the rider of the Black one, at the traffic lights. He looked like a happy man.

On the road it looks more purposeful than I remember, particularly at the front, like a bull hunching it's shoulders.

Maybe not a bull; maybe a rhino :D
  19. Bryn

Bryn Leicester England

Oddometer:
    back on the subject of tank bags.. can you guys over the pond get SW Motech stuff?

This is their city tank bag... it has a ring that fits onto the filler.. makes for a quick release. I've measured this one at 16cm before it is expanded... rode down to Hein Gericke today and placed it on the Explorer.. it fits the contours well and is not over big ....
    [​IMG]
  20. Big Jon

Big Jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Bryn. How about a pic of it mounted. My tank bag & tail case are the only 2 things left to get ordered for mine. ( Well at least for now...:lol3 )