KLRsys build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by KLRsys, Jun 6, 2012.

1. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The space that the original radiator occupied is now taken up by new frame tubing, left engine mount and to some degree the exhaust pipes. It just won't fit there anymore.
  2. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Road trip update. I’m back already but I’ll summarize the ride and my impression of the results. I left Clovis Monday morning, rode through Las Vegas NM, to Taos to Pagosa Springs. I tried to keep it under 70 and this netted me 55mpg so when I got stopped that evening I saved the fuel map in the Powercommander and turned off the autotune. Tuesday morning (38 degrees!) I headed for Moab via Durange, Dolores and Teluride. I went over Lizard Head pass which is only about 10,250ft, not too high as CO passes go, but the bike ran fine and I was in sixth gear all the way up. Got into Moab about 3:30pm and went over to Arrowhead Motorsports to get a few things from Fred (Mr. KLR in my book). While I was there another fellow showed up (Scott) riding a KLR and after seeing my bike he said the group he was with would love to see it and invited Fred and I to dinner. So I went to dinner with them and met a great group of folks, wish I could remember everyones name but no dice. They invited to ride the White Rim Trail through Canyonlands the following day and I gladly accepted. I wasn’t expecting to get to do any off road riding on this trip because it’s not something I’ll do alone so this really made my day. The WRT is something I’ve wanted to ride for several years, plus it made a great addition to my shakedown ride. So Wednesday we rode the WRT. I didn’t take nearly enough pictures….

At the beginning of the trail.
    [​IMG]

I learned that these two are some serious riders, Tom Grenon and Laura Seaver. Tom rode my bike a ways and commented that it feels much more planted at higher speeds.
    [​IMG]

This is Bob, 67, the rabbit of the group. Flyin’ low on a KLR, the man could really ride.[​IMG]

Nearing the end.

[​IMG]

The bike did great on the trail. It pulled well from low rpm, better than the stock engine. Many times I felt like I was about to lug the engine and realized I was in 2nd, still had 1st available. Engine braking wasn’t as good as the thumper but was adequate. I was concerned that it might overheat, never did but the fan did run a lot. I was also a bit worried about the mileage I would get on the trail, turned out I got 49mpg on that tank. Can'’t complain. Only problem on the trail was me, I fell on a sandy stretch, bent the fairing mount and the right pannier mounting bracket.

Thursday morning I went by Fred’s and he helped me get the fairing bent back into shape so I could hit the road. He took the bike for a quick ride, his only comment was 'That’s the fastest KLR I’ve ever been on.'

[​IMG]

Fred’s a great guy, really knows his stuff and is always helpful.

The rest of the trip was a fast ride south. Thursday evening I made it to Moriaty, NM, Friday I overnighted in Ballinger, TX. Saturday I hooked up with Calvin, Multisurface Rider, and he led me on a spirited ride through the hill country. He put about 40 miles on my bike and I think he wants one.

It turned out to be a great shakedown ride. I got to ride in just about every type of enviroment that I would normally encounter, highways, twisties, mountains, moderate off road and it did all of it well enough for me. I covered about 2500 miles, had no mechanical problems at all. Best of all, I never once wished I was on a different bike. I think I got what I was after.

3. Ridin'nFishin

Ridin'nFishin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This ain't your daddys KLR.

I enjoyed it and really wanted to ride it some more, 40 miles down the highway was a good test ride. This bike ate it up.

Thanks for letting me ride your bike. :thumb
  4. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Thank you for build write up and follow up great job sweet bike
  5. MizzouMike

MizzouMike Rain Magnet

Oddometer:
    What a great writeup, thanks for sharing

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
  6. SuperRio

SuperRio KLRE650 PILOT

Oddometer:
    I am so impressed with your build so clean and the frame details make me feel like doing the build again. Congrats on the ride. It really is a small world I have ridden with Tom G, as well long time ago.

I have been away from ADV for to long. My email got hacked and I had to create an new account. The most driving force was to let you know how your bike makes me proud. I know George Rio Constable would be smiling.

Yours respectfully Scott aka. Repsol rider. Fellow KLRE owner.:freaky
  7. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just read through this whole thread, and all I can say is "Wow".

I'd love to know how much $$ you have in the bike, ball park.

And I know that you said that you didn't want to build them, but if you ever did, I seriously would be interested! No BS.

Somewhere out there someone needs to manufacture something like this, please! 650 to 800ish cc's, fuel injected, off-ready, and simple. The F800GS is close, but why should I start modding a $14,000 bike right away just to make it capable?

Very, very cool job. :clap:freaky:clap
  8. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's great to hear from you, Scott. I told Tom that if he saw you to say hello for me. And yes, it is a small world and you will be suprised how similar our stories are. I too thought about doing this build for a few years before I seriously looked into it. The bike I converted I bought new and eventually sold to my best friend. Unfortunately we lost him last year to cancer and his wife gave me the bike. He was big into engine swaps in cars so I decided it would be appropriate to do the swap on the bike he owned. When I came across your story I knew I just had to do it.

Thanks again for sharing your story and hoping we cross paths someday. Fritz
  9. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really didn't keep track of what I spent, didn't really want to know at the time. But we've decided to do it again and this time we are going to track it and we are exploring the possibility of selling completed bikes. I'm doing a 2nd generation KLR and I'm hoping I can diet it down to a reasonable weight. I just got the two bikes last week, hope to get started soon.
  10. SuperRio

SuperRio KLRE650 PILOT

Oddometer:

I feel an instant bond , Thank you for filling me in on that detail. I beleive that our bikes ,truely were a labour of love.

I have been riding my bike alot this year and it gives me great pleasure. If my path can be directed I will turn my handle bars in your direction. The conversation would be totally worth it. Scott.
  11. wolftrax

wolftrax Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, you are the envy of many long time KLR'ers. Interested in following this next build. I am contemplating a 685 kit in my old girl but your build definately has my interest. Ever thought about putiing together a kit?
  12. Ridin'nFishin

Oddometer:

Another one, 2nd generation. This could lead to something. :clap

I think these bikes need an official name now that you are building another one.

Are they going to be called "KLRsys", KLRE or what?
  13. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I, too, saw this build at RTB3 and was mightily impressed. Not that I have skillz, time, or money to replicate (or to purchase a replicated one), but still ....mightily impressed.
  14. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

I've thought briefly about a kit only because I saw folks asking for it on the SuperRio thread, but I'm not sure how it could be done. It wouldn't be hard to reproduce the parts but the frame and engine mounts, I don't know how to ensure the buyer would get them in correctly. For the time being, I'm going to stick to complete bikes.
  15. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know, Calvin, what do you think? Beemer KilLeR? :D When is Barbie going to get a pair?
  16. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm about to start on the next KLRsys. I found a really clean 09 KLR with 748mi on it, and an equally clean 09 Versys with 1040mi. The Versys is coming apart starting tomorrow. My daughter has chistened the shop "The Slaughterhouse".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All ideas and suggestions are welcome.
  17. Ridin'nFishin

Oddometer:
    I don't know, maybe the name you have will be a good one. "KLRsys" has a good ring to it and it defines the bike.

I would love to do it to Barbie, wow then she would really be The Mighty KLR.
  18. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:

Hey, that's my girlfriend's Versys, about to have its heart and brain ripped out!!! Oh, No, Mr. Bill!!! :eek1

:lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

Seriously, I hope this leads to a successful enterprise for you, KLRsys. I think the idea of a twin-KLR is a terrific one, and your execution of the conversion is brilliant! It was a distinct pleasure meeting you, and you can bet I'll be down one day soon to view your "Laboratory" and progress, Dr. Frankenbike!!! :thumb

Dallara

~
  19. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm very interested to see what this costs you. I have an 09 that I would like to swap the engine. And I only live 60 miles from you!

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
  20. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't come too soon. I'm pulling the engine out of the 05 to take measurements and make a jig. Hopefully it will be back together in a couple of weeks. But please come, I look forward to it.

And don't worry, we're being gentle with the Versys dissection :D. My wife is the one working on it right now, pulling all the body work.