Video game addicts...

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by EvilGenius, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Apxgrndr

Apxgrndr In the snow

Oddometer:
  2. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
  3. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    Now with Homefront.

Let's see wassup
  4. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    Glad I bought used at GameStop.

Not impressed. Granted, no hi-speed interwebs at the house, so no multiplayer time under my belt.
    Feels too guided and the characters step in your line of fire and stand in doorways constantly. Single player was short, I buzzed thru it in about 3.5hrs playing time. And watched all the cut scenes.

I'm taking it back
  5. tattewell

tattewell Mad Poser

Oddometer:
    The multi was ok, stopped playing it after about a week, so that should tell you what your missing...

Just finished Portal 2, f'n amazing... loved the plot twists and voice acting.
  6. njd

njd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the middle of it right now. This is now one of my favorite all time games. I didn't think it would be possible to outdo Portal 1.
  7. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    I just got an e-mail that they are giving 100 dollar off coupons for the PS3....guess there has been a major sales hit now that it has no online play.
  8. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    Not just online play but it locks you out of Netflix as well. :baldy
  9. ADK

ADK .

Oddometer:
    Well fuck, I was thinking of trading my ps3 in on a Xbox. I'd probably be lucky if they offered $50 for it now. :kboom
  10. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    Watching it on my 360 right now :evil

The PS3 has a blu-ray but from what I've been reading the 360 is a better all around experience....plus everyone I know has one and only a handful of PS3's and there are a lot of hardcore gamers in that group.
  11. tattewell

tattewell Mad Poser

Oddometer:
    Atleast with no online I wont have to suffer through there 700meg "patches" any more :evil
  12. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    Really? I watched 3 movies on my PS3/Netflix on Sunday and I believe the network was down then, wasn't it?
  13. El Guero

El Guero Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been watching Netflix this whole time. Just keep attempting to log-in and ignore the "maintenance" messages.
  14. ThePikeman

ThePikeman German n00b

Oddometer:
    Just wait for the 3 Gig patch when they come back online. :lol3
  15. SteelJM1

SteelJM1 Former Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer:
    So my buddy picked up the newest Socom with the PS move package.

The verdict is still out. I like the idea of aiming something at the screen to shoot... but combining that with the movement of the character, especailly in 3rd person is hard to get used to. Also you don't aim down any sights on your little plastic gun thing, you just follow the cursor on your screen. I think with some tweaking it will improve.

Still waiting on Matrix style virtual reality for wargames where i can aim down a sight and experience real recoil. Just not the feeling of getting shot ;)
  16. EvilGenius

Oddometer:
    Been borrowing a bluray player from my parents ever since they bought a newer one.

I found out why a few months back as the one I borrowed doesn't have enough system memory to make it all the way through a movie without running out. Usually about half way.

Back before Christmas my playstation got the YLOD and due to a limited amount of funds and various other life changes I just stuck it in a box. Ever since I've mostly lost interest in video games. I still enjoy them, but I've just got too many other things going on to have it worth being something to put money into.

A couple of days ago I decided to dig it out to either fix it or trash it and sell the games.

Did some research and found that most likely it's failure was due to the solder on the GPU and CPU not having lead in it (because it's marketed to kids under 12) so it has a tendency to fracture after a given amount of use and cause a "general hardware failure" condition (IE the yellow light).

So I borrowed my brothers two stage Milwaukee heat gun, stripped the machine down, and spent about 2min heating the mother board on the low (750*) setting and then another 4-5min heating the GPU and CPU specifically to reheat and revoke the solder to bridge the connections. Let it sit for 30min untouched and out it back together.

SUCCESS!!!! :clap

She lives once again!!

Now I can ditch this POS samsung bluray player!
  17. tserts

tserts Chaotic Neutral

Oddometer:
    Nice cooking! Next time put it in the oven and turn it once at 15 mins.. It brings out the flavors better... :rofl
  18. EvilGenius

Oddometer:
    Some people suggested that, some with disastrous results.
  19. ThePikeman

ThePikeman German n00b

Oddometer:
    You can honestly blame the EU for the lack of lead or Nvidia for being too stupid to build a GPU package. :lol3
  20. EvilGenius

Oddometer:
    The US passed a series of laws a few years ago to eliminate all lead from kids toys (under 12 years old). Since a lot of gamesare suitable for everyone, that includes the electronics in the consoles.

So now we have a combo of super powerful heat generating gaming systems that are using inferior solder to hold the electronics together.

Even if the system never over heats, the cycles of the electronics heating up and cooling off eventually breaks the solder connections on various electronic components and results in the Red Ring of Death/Yellow Light of Death.