KLR maintenance

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by DUBLTEE, Mar 4, 2014.

1. DUBLTEE

DUBLTEE n00b

Oddometer:
    Just got an 06 KLR with 7K all hiway miles. 5K valve adjustment was not done. Is it time to get it done now. Any one know a good reputable KLR wrencher in Portland??
  2. Peak_Oil

Peak_Oil Not One 2 Floss

Oddometer:
    You're supposed to maintain KLRs? I must not have got the email.
  3. 12120

12120 Unwittingly Domesticated Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought you just put in gas and added oil when needed. If it starts losing power you can clean the air filter. :rofl Definitely can't afford to loose any power..:D
  4. zootpatutie

zootpatutie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pretty funny Peak.

Valves tighten on the KLR over time. In my experience, more at the beginning than later in mileage life. I've had them keep running with valve clearance almost nil, but they're certainly happier when they're slappy. Recent hard starting in the cold weather resolved once marginally tight valves were re-shimmed on mine.

Pretty easy job if you're mechanically inclined. Online KLR sites frequently list tech day gatherings attended by helpful experience if you want to do your own wrenching.
  5. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    DIY. The money spent getting someone else to do it is better spent on manual/tools IMHO. Get acquainted with your "pet".
  6. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is time to change/steal another milk crate, when your plastic fades :D
  7. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was Supporter

Oddometer:
    Peak,

You were probably changing a diaper when the email came through!

Good to hear you are still live and kick'in.

Go easy on the 2-post newbs OK. In the future (waay distant future) one of 'em might want to buy my KTM.

If they can get a loan thru WalMart.
  8. SOP Dirt-Rider

SOP Dirt-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maintenance? That's like, fresh duct tape on the seat, right? And whatever you do, don't forget to lube the side stand:1drink
  9. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    The owner of Motorcycle Warehouse on 82nd is a KLR fan, and they have a service shop. No personal experience with them, but reviews online look good. There's always the "stealership" as well. You'll pay more at Beaverton Bob's, but they'll do the job and stand behind the work.

I do my own valves. Lots of video's and instructions on line (see Marknet). Also a hint, the BMW K bikes use the same size shims and have a good selection in stock at BMW Tigard.

Good luck...oh and get used to the milk crate jokes, it's usually the most "Creative" the KLR haters get.

:hide
  10. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    not gonna pull my records for actual mileage,,
    but a couple years ago, I was prepping for a road trip and did the valve check as part of the service. No change,,(around 30,000 or so),,everything right in the middle of tolerance!,
    ,Rode for another year or so,,another long trip coming up,,better check,,dead within the middle of specs.

14,500 miles later,,checked again,, still within tolerances,,no adjustment needed.:huh
    I just rolled over 50,000 miles on the engine, and I wonder if I should ever bother to check the valves again,, the last 3 attempts were for nothing!:1drink
  11. s1marks

s1marks Mercedes

Oddometer:
    I 2nd Scott's nomination if you REALLY don't want to do it yourself. You might want to wait for a KLR tech day and have someone show you OR you could make the Hells canyon meetup (June. Wallawa jamboree thread) and I will do it for you!

If you do it yourself D&S cycles in Aloha will do a free shim exchange for you( they'd also be a good bet if you just want to pay someone.

Also I would personally sweat the doohickey more than a valve check, like Peterman said you might not need an actual adjustment for a lot of miles yet (not suggesting that it not worth checking at all but you'd be REAL unlikely if it caused an immediate problem IMHO).

S1
  12. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a good wrench out in Molalla Mark is a nice honest guy PM me if ya want the shop #
  13. bdcorrigan

bdcorrigan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stay away from road chicken or was it road hawk on Johnson Creek! Do the valves when the bike doesn't start. Do the doohickey and subframe bolts.
  14. AUWalker

AUWalker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have the upgrade bolt for my '99. still haven't installed it... Don't know why.... thanks for the reminder.
    If I forget, someone else remind me in 15 years.
  15. Sliverpicker

Sliverpicker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very unlikely they are out of spec with 2K since last inspection. Where are you located ? It only takes about an hour to check them. 2 hours max for changing out shims as long as you have shims on hand.
  16. Scott_PDX

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure he said the valves have never been checked in 7K miles. It's a tad overdue, but not drastic (as long as it starts). I'd get on it soon though, like you are trying. Keep in mind you shouldn't measure the gap unless the bike is COLD - they usually recommend sitting overnight.

First time I did it took most of a saturday, but that was me alone, figuring it out as I went, with the online guides/videos' and half of that was figuring how to disassemble all the parts on my 2009 to get to the valve shims in the first place. Not something you want to rush the first time, but a good learning experience if you plan on keeping the bike for awhile.

If you take this on, post up questions here.

Note- There has been some rumors going round of a friendly inmate who is thinking of hosting a KLR Techday in Portland. I won't "Out" them yet though ;) But if it happens, they are fun to attend.
  17. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was Supporter

Oddometer:
    So what kind of beer gets drunk at a KLR session? :freaky
  18. Squishy

Squishy Elastically-kinematic.

Oddometer:
    Mostly black beer...morning beer. :D
  19. Scott_PDX

Oddometer:
    Let me guess; "Whatever is on sale at Walmart"?
  20. Sliverpicker

Sliverpicker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are right Scott. The 5000 check has NOT been done>>>>>>

Yes they are overdue !