Replacing drive shaft in swingarm on an airhead

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by mutineer, Sep 17, 2004.

1. mutineer

mutineer pierpont lives

Oddometer:
    I had the shop take it out so I could get the swingarm ready for powdercoating.

I damn sure do not want to pay another 70 to have it put but the BMW tool is over 200.

Any shadetree solutions?

this bike is a 1980 R100T that is going to get a mild cafe treatment
  2. Possu

Possu de-nOObed!

Oddometer:
    Mutie,

What tool are you referring to?

I removed & refitted the swingarm on my old R80GS Paralever, leaving the shaft in place with no hassle. Only technical issue was correct alighment of the swingarm with the gearbox & shaft using the adjusters on the swingarm pivot.

I can't imagine too much difference between yours & mine?
  3. Chopperman

Chopperman Hostile. But not Stupid

Oddometer:
    I'd have to dig up manuals to be sure....the main thing is getting seals and the carrier bearing into place on a non-para SA. Lots of times a special tool is for removal but not for fitment.
  4. mutineer

mutineer pierpont lives

Oddometer:
    I had the shaft yanked out of the swingarm so I could send in the swingarm to be powdercoated.

I figured the design spec didn't include baking the shaft at 400+ degrees.
    Keep in mind I at the far left side of the learning curve on this shit
  5. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    The old drive shafts IIRC (and that is a bit if .. monday morning) you needed a press to assemble the shaft shock absorber inside the swing arm?

The shock absorber consited of two cams facing one another and a large spring, paralevers got a rubber version and so are totally different!
  6. Chopperman

Chopperman Hostile. But not Stupid

Oddometer:

Ah right those thngs. I forgot about them and never dealt with one..so disregard what I said
  7. Renegade6

Renegade6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go to www.boxerworks.com and do a search, a few people have made home-made tools to get it apart. If I remember correctly, the 1980 has a big spring on it that you have to compress before you loosen the coupling.

If it is the older type shaft without the spring, you don't need any special tools to put it back together, you just have to make sure the tapered joint doesn't have any grease, oil, etc. on it and torque it to about 200 ft lbs.