The Honda XL1000V thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Plugs, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Claustrophobic64

Claustrophobic64 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gentlemen.....

Just registered and need some guidance........What would be the first 3 most important things I should be doing as a new ADVrider member......and Varadero owner.....:huh

First question........I have read alot about the aftermarket windsheilds for the Dero....with mixed reviews......I am thinking of cutting the stock windshield down a few centimeters instead of going longer........let the turbulent wind hit me in the chest area instead of the head .......I have found a glass place that said they have done it many times.....

Tell me if this Noob needs to rethink this idea....
  2. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Before you cut the windsheild you can lower or raise it, mine came in the lower position. You could try sitting on something to raise your butt the 4 inches to see if you like the lower windsheild idea. I have found that speed makes a difference with the turbulance noise problems. I think that above 120 Km for me the bike is better but side winds have a big impact. I am tall, 6'4" and have a long upper body. MRA Varip screen is a good option to give you a higher screen or a Laminar Lip.

In terms of additions that I think you should add: the crash bars are high on the list just because plastic damage is expensive and easly damaged in a simple spill. Best $200 bucks I ever spent on the bike. I like aluminum panniers on a bike and the Varadero is a good candidate for it but they cost over $1000. I like to have a bigger back rack but no top case. A centre stand is awful handy to have. The stock tires are not great but OK to just wear them out, they go fast.

Enjoy the hell out of the Honda, it is a great bike.
  3. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I know I didn't ask the questions but I'm also a new varadero owner and you reply is useful. I've taken the time to read a lot of this thread as well. I have the trial wing tyres on my bike I find them good on tar seal. If there are better then this is one good handling bike :D
  4. Claustrophobic64

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply JimmieA!

I can't seem to get the brunt of the over the windshield wind away from my noggin. Low setting hits me in the chin nose area and the high setting hits me in the forehead and really vibrates the helmet.......What a baby eh?:cry

My KLR used to throw the wind pretty much into my upper chest.....so my head always had clean air....I think that would be desirable over the head vibes. I got to realize too that my KLR never got over 120 km/h too many times either!!! Well maybe some times with the wind pushing me....:evil

My plan is to take the windshield right off and try that......then if I like it I will cut it down to just above the dash board.........Hope it doesn't look too bad after....:puke2

i will post the results.......
  5. Claustrophobic64

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap Tried without ......really feel it in the chest above 130 km/h (but I should feel it shouldn't I?).....but my helmet is alot quieter then with the windsheild on....just the normal movin down the hiway wind noise........... Soooooo for now I might cut her down to an inch above the dash....it doesn't really mess with the looks too much anyhoo.....Will post when the deed is done....and really if it turns out to bother me an extra tall Givi screen is only about $100 bucks....:super
  6. Squily

Squily Squily

Oddometer:
    New to your forum, and if its been posted before- sorry, but I can't be bothered to read through all the pages

Has anybody ever mounted these panniers on a Varadero:

[​IMG]
    http://www.motorradgarage.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=223&products_id=764

I'd be interested in seeing what they look like (if anybody has some pictures). I am in process of buying my Varadero and I can't decide on which panniers to get. I know the Zega and H&B is tried and trusted and they are my 1st choice, but I don't think they compliment the clean lines of the bike. I will basically only use the bike for long-distance bitumen (and some gravel) work and not for off-road- that's what the @'s for:evil . And I don't like the plastic road-bike type panniers. Gobi is an option, but these TraX...
  7. STRANA

STRANA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those bags are the same ones pictures 6 up but they are silver instead of black.
  8. Squily

Squily Squily

Oddometer:
    Yep, and they look OK, but I was wondering about the black, as I also ordered a black one like in the picture
  9. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the above panniers. Mine both leak and it is partly because I dropped the bike in the parking lot at zero speed. The right one had a small dent near the bottom after the drop which I have mostly beat out. Bascally the problem with these bags is that the bottom is made of 4 plastic corners not solid metal Also there are pop rivit joints as well. The S W Motech brackets are a little loose as well. Now I have to say these bags are cheaper than say Tourtech by about half so this is a consideration. On the Varadero with the S W Motech brackets and the 45 litre bags the bike is real wide. I tried to get the 37 litre bags at the time without success.

Not the best bags out there and I expect that the bags will leak at some point in their lifetime. The brackets (latchs) can come loose and this will wear the 4 holes out fast. My latches are rusting as well.

Here are a few pictures of the bags on a recent trip t Labrador.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/stillrn/Labrador2010#

JimmieA.
  10. VO1MX

VO1MX Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thats the ones.
  11. Squily

Squily Squily

Oddometer:
    Thanks JimmieA

Appreciate the pics and description. As the panniers are cheaper than original honda ones as well (and I'm assuming would be about the same strength), it might not be a bad buy for road travel. I've ordered the 45l ones- not sure if they'll be too big, but will have to chance it. I had BMW GS panniers before and they werre also 45l and not too big (they might have seemed smaller on the BM as it's a wide bike in itself.

But your bike looks great with them and it's what I was hoping for.

My @'s panniers (home made) also has pop rivets in them and leaks a bit (if I do water crossings), but I have resolved the issue by taping the inside over the rivets with 100-mile/hour tape.
  12. Rev Tiny

Rev Tiny Twisted Archer

Oddometer:
    i use jerry cans for paniers that arent waterproof i use waterproof soft bags for boat that have the roll tops and pack my gear in them always dry and dust free
  13. Tarby

Tarby A Basic Biker

Oddometer:

Hi Squily, just to give you the heads up on the Zega option. I recently traded my Suzuki DL1000 for the Veradero, which was a great decision, never took to the DL. Anyway the DL had the Zega setup so I kept the panniers. I ordered the racks for the Dero from Touratech, in the au, they said they did not hold stock and it would take 3/4 weeks to get them from Germany. That was 6 weeks ago! Rang them again today they told me it would be another 4 weeks. Not very happy with that little response as I had a trip planned to Darwin back in early July so that got well canned. When I ordered them the web site said 'in stock'. LIE. So now I'm wondering if there is any other system that can accommodate the Zega panniers because if there is, I'm there.
    Anyway, what I saying is if there any thing you want for the Dero in Aus check before parting with your mullah.
    I'm shaking my head here. I get bits and pieces from the US of A and it's here in a week, you order it 'locally' and it's 3 months!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, what is wrong with these people...............Ah, don't me started............
  14. Squily

Squily Squily

Oddometer:
    I hear you. I just oredered bits for the @ from UK. Ordered Saturday night, got a "shipped" response this morning and should be here within a week. Motorrad says 6 weeks for pannier-frames :huh

But then again, I waited 3 months for Honda Japan for a oil pump for the @. Go figure:dunno
  15. Rev Tiny

Rev Tiny Twisted Archer

Oddometer:
    that is the whole reason i got my stuff from twisted throttle the Aussie dealers where just to long to wait
  16. Tarby

Tarby A Basic Biker

Oddometer:

As a matter of interest who did you order stuff off in the UK?
  17. Squily

Squily Squily

Oddometer:
  18. Desert2202

Desert2202 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does any company make a shorter screen for the Varadero ?? I would like one about half the height of the stock one. I want my head in "clean" air to avoid the buffetting.

Somewhere in Oz would be preferable, but if I have to get one from overseas so be it.

Thanks

Geoff.
  19. Rev Tiny

Rev Tiny Twisted Archer

Oddometer:
    mate give eagle screens a call they do a few different screens for the deros and will make what you want they are great to deal with and are aussie made
  20. Rev Tiny

Rev Tiny Twisted Archer

Oddometer:
    just adding a picture because i like it and love my bike

[​IMG]