New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    :cob
  2. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    It pays the bills. :lol3

Yep, accountants have taken over Apple. Now a SmugMug customer hoping to help keep ADV commercial free :thumb

Me too - on my older R bikes - part of factory kit - stores inside the frame :nod
  3. Maurizio

Maurizio 2 smoker

Oddometer:
    I still feel betrayed...
  4. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Request-consider posting smaller pictures. It's a pain to scroll around to see what you are talking about. The perspective is so large it is sometimes not evident. Especially on a mobile device. Thanks.
  5. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    All better now?:lol3
  6. tonykof

tonykof Dinosaur Tamer

Oddometer:
    I'll probably get my fingers slapped for reposting this...but here it goes.

Fairing on the KTM 690R Enduro - is it worth it? Pro's & Cons
    Would you do it again? Is it worth the money? What do you gain? Does it provide any more real wind protection than a windshield? What do you lose?

I'm looking at the cheaper on on KTMtwins..

Thanks for the input - PM's are welcome ;)
    Tony

Here is my present setup with my own version of a deflector that some other companys make...(ind. velcro holds it on)
    How would an Adventure type fairing compare? Besides look better :wink:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. NovaMoto

NovaMoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks interesting for street/highway riding I guess. I'd break it off in an afternoon in the woods though.

8. tonykof

tonykof Dinosaur Tamer

Oddometer:
    Yeah the deflector is held on with industrial velcro...so it can be removed in about 10 secs :nod

I'm wondering how an "Adventure" type fairing would compare for wind protection etc..
  9. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    None.

But worry not, I have a solid background (well ... years ago) at programing computers (C++, Fortran, ADA, Forth, Assembler, Basic), and Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC, Omron, Modicon, Telemecanic, Allen Bradley, Siemens) . What is happening into an ECU is far lower level then that, and certainly not Chinese to me. I understand pretty well that this particular ECU, you are not really programming it. You download a firmware to the Bosch controller (this is the program in fact). Then you punch parameters and tables. There lies the pudding and the pain from what i've seen so far.

Each and every time someone starts a project with an ECU at the very moment the crowd starts to salivate, the project falls for whatever reason starting from "no more time", "no more resources", all the way to "Jesus !!! This is too complicated !!!" It does not seem to be anything linear in those tables. Combustion chambers is evidently a field of expertise very creative at generating unexplanable exceptions.

I'm very curious at your project. And eager to here more.

Paul Jr 8
  10. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Clever idea with the velcro! I have the smaller screen that is on your bike and that is good enough for me.
  11. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    This will be my 5th stand alone ECU project, no stranger to it. It's not difficult but it's not hard either. Technology will allow some pretty serious data logging that I can share via Email with my tuner. I'll do a day on the dyno, followed by some trail riding/data logging and then a race. We'll be pretty well tuned by then. At that point Bob will do some desert testing, followed by an entire season of ice racing by me and lastly..... The Mexican 1000! The ice racing and desert riding will assure that the cold weather, hot weather and altitude compensation is correct.

Unfortunately, I don't see the harness or map being exported to Canada:lol3
  12. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not a fan of windscreens on this bike as I use mine mostly in situations where it would be a hindrance more than a help....so I think it depends on where and how you ride.

If I did use on on the 690, I would go for something like this as it is easily removed once off the slab:

[​IMG]

But I LOVE MotoZ Tractionators::raabia

[​IMG]
  13. MrHix

MrHix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Novamoto,

How does the KTM Touring Windscreen by itself work at keeping the wind off your chest at highway speeds? I don't mind the wind around the helmet as long as it is not too turbulent.

Thanks,

MrHix
  14. tonykof

tonykof Dinosaur Tamer

Oddometer:
    I'm 5"8, the windshield alone puts the wind about 5-6" down from my chin. so it definitely helps take the pressure off my chest at highway+ speeds...The deflector puts it in the middle of my helmet instead of coming up the btm. Much quieter...

I'm kinda thinking i should just stick with what I got & not spend a bunch of money on something (Fairing) that just looks cool & won't really gain me anything from where I'm at...
  15. folknride

folknride Old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got a KTM screen a couple of weeks back. It definitely eases the full body press wind (for me anyway - 6 ft.). I'm quite comfortable at highway speeds now, provided I wear my full face touring helmet. If I wear the Shoie Hornet dual sport, the deflected air flow seems to connect perfectly with the peak on the helmet and tries to rip it off your head :lol3. I'm thinking of drilling some vent holes in the peak to ease the effect.
    But overall, +1 on the touring screen.
  16. kojen

kojen n00b

Oddometer:
    It´s my bike... Fastened it in the tankbolts under the seat. The ones that fixates the rear fender.
    Its very good to pull the bike back. Not so good to lift the bike. As you say it will pull agains the seat in that case...
    //M

17. MFS

MFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Killl 2 Birds with one stone, www.brittaniacomposites.com

They are in the Vendor section also, or just check the site. After 2 years in the same boat, my travelling getting longer and closer to the night hours, I picked up a Lynx Fairing and took a gamble with my $$$!!

Works for me, and the lighting...sweet sassy molassy the lighting....

I've spent alot of time and energy trying to fabricate my own, and only moderate success. Fun trying though! Combined with the great overall look, the wind protection, and the new dashboard, worth every penny for me...

No pics of mine, must.get.smugmug...but lots around on the web for viewing!

MFS
  18. NovaMoto

NovaMoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My screen/mask is stock. My post was in response to the lad with the velcro screen add-on.

It looks nice, I guess, but I would trash it under an hour in the woods. I've torn my GoPro from my helmet at speed!

19. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    We'll come from underground to grab it ...

You're certainly aware Bob entered a pretty intensive love-hate relationship with his fuel pump that affected drastically his average yearly millage ? :deal He's been in the dez often, for sure, but repeating unfortunate events prevented winds to blasts his (pretty well maintained) scalp too often. If you want Bob to test it, you'll most probably have to convince Seth to flushes all of his hopes into that rally car, and take back seriously his duties at figuring out an alternative to our collective pump misery.

Paul Jr
  20. MrHix

MrHix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK,

Thanks for the replies folks.

Cheers,

MrHix