JTH's HD 883 Dual Sport'ster conversion

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by JimmyTheHog, Feb 4, 2011.

1. JimmyTheHog

JimmyTheHog Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Theyre Type S36P (S36PR1C1LB), but a variation of. I worked direct with Ohlins USA on the desired dimensions/specs and they built them up. They couldn't get the length vs stroke needed with the rebound damping wheel, so removed that and just have a screw adjustment at the bottom.

20-28N/mm springs I started with were too soft. Now trying 24-33N/mm tonight. EDIT: 24-33's too soft also. Shooting for ~1/3 travel sag. Moving on to new springs...
  2. rodteague

rodteague Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:
    Love your build and website. Out of curiosity, would the swing arm extensions have worked if left bolted in place? They appeared well made and may have done the job more than adequately. I have seen aftermarket extensions for some sport bikes; was wondering that it might work well for a ADV sporty. Might also be a little more economical.

Regards

Rod
  3. ramon

ramon weezin' the juice!

Oddometer:
    I don't think economy was a major goal for this project :deal
  4. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    I don't think the extensions would be a good solution - at least the way I made them. They would probably need another bolt to stabilize them instead of just the one bolt at the original axel position. Then drilling a hole in the swingarm for that bolt would add a weak spot that may crack in time. Maybe for mild riding they might last, but I wouldn't trust them for hard core dual sporting. That being said, maybe theres a different good solution out there for a bolt on extension....? Also, when you extend the swingarm, the brake caliper moves to the new axel position and you may not have enough or any of the stop bracket left to hold it in place. That would have to be addressed.

Ramon is right. This build was about building a dream from a vision and probably a bike I will have for the rest of my riding days. So, economics went out the window long ago :lol3 :D :cry :clap :freaky
  5. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    The rear shock springs are now dialed in. Took three sets to get it, but its done.

Heres a pic. Full bike pics this weekend...and a long awaited ride

[​IMG]
  6. ramon

ramon weezin' the juice!

Oddometer:
    Can't wait for the ride report and the pics :D
  7. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised you mounted them with the reservoirs pointing forward. The "usual" orientation is with the reservoirs to the rear.
  8. Danger4u2

Danger4u2 KX500 is Danger4u2 Supporter

Oddometer:
    That knob might have something to do with the orientation.
  9. MitchG

MitchG Iron Collector

Oddometer:
    Think about what you said...........:evil Can't wait for the full pics!
  10. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    They actually fit both ways, so I had a choice. I thought whats the best way and why. The reason I chose forward was for mass centralization & I liked the look this way. Didn't see any negatives, but if there are any concerns out there - let me know.

I know the mass centralization argument is weak given its a big heavy bike, but at least its a reason. I see a lot of the higher performance cars mount their brake calipers towards the center CG - maybe for the same reason (?) or other like air flow / cooling???

For instance...

[​IMG]
  11. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    Finally finished the suspension tweaking and went for a little test ride in the hills today. Only stopped to take a few pictures and to adjust the rear spring preloads. Too much fun :ricky

Now I need to clean it up a bit for the Quail Gathering next Saturday. Then after that, its time to do some dual sporting and get it dirty.:muutt

Here are some pics of todays test ride...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    DR790 likes this.
  12. ramon

ramon weezin' the juice!

Oddometer:
    Looks awesome, Jim! I'll see you at Quail, next week!
  13. MitchG

MitchG Iron Collector

Oddometer:
    At a loss for words till I come out of shock....Bravo!!
  14. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    Hope you like attention 'cause riders and non-riders are absolutely 'gonna be swarming all over you wherever you go.

Absolutely awesome! :clap

We do need video so that we can hear the purdy sounds :deal
  15. Soapy

Soapy Tarmac Stromer

Oddometer:
    I have been following this for a short while and have to say it's been well worth it!
    Enjoy that great machine to the full, you certainly deserve it.:clap
  16. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:
    Fabulous, just fabulous. :clap
  17. wah64apache

wah64apache Older Than Dirt

Oddometer:
    Superb!
  18. EricD10563

EricD10563 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To bad the MOCO wont/doesn't make what you've made, wow nice bike. If I had the funds I know who I would commission to build my offroad Harley.
  19. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Stunning Jimmy.

Some more luggage and a bigger windscreen and you could REALLY have a long haul Adventure bike there. but it is perfect for what you built it for, day long adventures.

So tell seriously, have you ridden any Boxer motored BMWs? How would you say the motor in the sporty feels comparitvely for this type of bike?

My dad had a 1993 Sporty 1200 and I found it a vibratey compared to my '03 Dyna and that was not as smooth as my Boxer, but with this different suspension and wheel set up how does it ride?

Gorgeous no matter what.
  20. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    I probably at some point will look into more luggage capacity, but as you said, that's not what this bike is about. This is more of a dual sport hot rod, as I like to say. So for now, this is how it will be.

For comparison, I currently have an 09 R12GSA, and have owned/ridden an 12GS, 1150GS, HP2, 950 AdvS, 950 SE, 990 Adv, 690ER, KLR, TE610, and XR650.

Vibration: The SC3 is based on the hard mount 03 Sportster and yes, its vibey, but I have rubber dampers in the bar risers, so its not that bad. Compared to all the other bikes though, it still has the most vibration.

Comfort: Based on short 100 miles rides - the SC3 is pretty similar to the big KTM's, and more comfortable than the smaller 690, 650, 610 bikes. The GS's are far more comfortable though, even with stock seats. Ergos are stretched out and has plenty of leg room with the new lower peg positions. Seat is a Corbin which initially feels hard, but after long miles, still feels pretty good.

Off-Road: I think the SC3 fits somewhere between the 950's and the smaller 6XX's. Relatively nimble and agile for a big bike, but so far, I haven't pushed the limits like I used to on the 950/990's. Way more capable on techincal stuff than the GS's. The single pin crank on the Sportster has an interesting characteristic in that it feels much lighter when you ride it - not sure how to explain it, but I think it may have something to do with the flywheel mass, single pin, and firing order. Id like to hear others thoughts on this.

At some point I'll get brave enough to let others ride the bike so to get un-biased opinions and input. To date, only two people have ridden it. My good friend Mark who I trust on it as hes a heck of rider, and David Edwards - who maybe will at some point write a blurb on what he thought.