L.A. B.S. over flow and info

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by jamin_mathis, May 13, 2010.

1. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Supporter

Oddometer:
    on a lighter note....[​IMG]get it :rofl
  2. RandyM

RandyM Less talk, More ride

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies on Powder coating. I'll give some of them a call and see what it's going to cost me. I would love to learn how to do it myself but I just don't have the time for any new science projects right now. It's a dual sport so I'm starting to have second thoughts on the powder coat. I have no experience with powdercoat except for a mountain bike that I think is powder coated and now that I think about it, it's all chipped up.
  3. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seriously you can't get MEK anymore?

:hmmmmm I wonder if this is how Al Capone started running booze. I could make a milk run from Seal Beach to Long Beach in LA County, mark up all the 'spirits' and be a BAZZINIONAIRE MEK and Imron Gangsta!:gun1

Anybody get's in my way I 'splain babe ruth and teamwork to 'em:bash
  4. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Hezzy Powder Coating Incorporated

• (714) 572-1210
    1340 N Dynamics St, #D, Anaheim, CA 92806 Get directions Cross Streets: Near the intersection of N Dynamics St and E Miraloma Ave
    These guys did some rocker guards and a bumper for a rock crawler jeep of mine a few years ago. They have a minimum but it was fair and they did a really good job. Sand blasted the rattle-can off of them and coated them, turn-key. I bought poison-spider guards off a guy on pirate 4x4 for cheap, he had sprayed them and they looked like shit. When they went on my jeep they looked new. Some of the smaller manufacturers of jeep parts will sell raw welded goods, finish 'em yourself. Worked out good for me.

If you want an automotive acrylic paint job I charge $50 an hour, plus materials. If the frame is ready to shoot its probly a couple of hour job. Materials about $50. So maybe $150 max. You do the strip and sand down, or we can have it sand-blasted.

Good luck and let us what you decide and how it turns out.

I know, everybody blabs on the internet, right? Here's a couple'a my projects just to share...

This is an older KDX frame I did awhile back, from when they were blue with white plastics. Became a supermoto showbike:

[​IMG]

A DKW, complete frame-up resto I did for hire by the owner. Frame and all the front end pieces and brackets, tank, went thru the motor, re-did the seat, laced up new rims, was a show piece for sure. He was happy with $1400 for labor, plus all his parts. That works out to about 35 hours or so. It was plated and he would ride it down to the local cafe for coffee. A few shows too, of course.

[​IMG]

And a Penton Six Days that was one of my own. This one I bought for $200 and sold it for $3500. I also owned one identical, bought it new in 1973. This one was a '72. I did three or four of these old Pentons and KTM's back when I was really into the vintage stuff. Have also done boats and cars. I have albums full of stuff:

[​IMG]
  5. browneye

Oddometer:
    Found a folder with some more pics...

1978 KTM MC5 400. This was the first year KTM brought bikes to the US with their name on them. In 1977 this model was a Penton Mint 400. I bought it from Rick at Vintage Iron, and spent a couple'a grand on parts restoring it. We were going to try to start it up as it sits here, good thing we didn't since there was a huge rats nest in the airbox. Was a pretty rusty hulk that had been sitting in the original owner's son's backyard. He looped it and broke the fender off and busted himself up and it never ran again. Was a stinking fast bike, but hard to start.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the finished version. I sold this one to a vintage MX racer down in Carlsbad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Klammer

Klammer Old and Grumpy

Oddometer:
    Single track,desert, surf, water & snow ski Heaven
    <IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/APHjMZPsv7A" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
    :cry
  7. tex_downey

tex_downey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That KTM is sharp.
  8. browneye

Oddometer:
    The same vid, 'Hitler Wants a Harley for Sturgis' (not a honda). :D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nUY-H3vWhzY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  9. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
  10. browneye

Oddometer:
    You are kidding, right????

11. tex_downey

tex_downey Been here awhile

Oddometer:

well you never know.

Iv been following that bike and there are thing you cant beat, the Rotax, and the MPG. :clap but the Suspension would have to be redone, it works ok for me but im a light rider, not calling Eric fat, but you know.

That being said the bike has not changed much since 01' but for the forks and Gauges and some Plastic. you could look for a x-challenge now that is a bike for the dirt, this G650 is a commuter that is made for tall people.
  12. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a Dakar, and I liked it. But I now have a TE610 and All I can say is I like it a whole lot more!:deal:deal
  13. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    hahaha you're going from a KLR to a DAKAR??? lateral move dude.:deal
  14. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    I am konfused I thought that everything was a step up from a KLR. :amazon

:poser

:hide
  15. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    That's just a Dakar. You can do a shit load to one and spend tons of moola and it will be a great bike. I have one and love it, but recently I find myself going back to the lighter smaller bikes again.

Here's mine, only slightly modified with 11.5" of travel front and rear and about 100 lbs less than stock. This was how it looked last year. It has now gone under the knife again and now has a 7.5g Carbon/Kevlar tank, a Renazco seat and a few other goodies. Overall, a very good machine that I will never part with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Renazo seat and carbon/kevlar tank.

[​IMG]

However, I spend most of my time when not a nursing broken bones on this.

[​IMG]
  16. jamin_mathis

jamin_mathis Long timer

Oddometer:
    The X-challenge has a fatal flaw in my book, if you break the shifter shaft you have to split the case to change it:cry deal breaker for a dirt bike. I know 2 X-challenge riders who have had to do this, great bike in many ways but I got no Idea what those Krauts where thinking when they designed that:huh

I rode a GS650 for a day once it's real smooth kind of a mini touring bike I could see myself knocking out some 500 mile days on one but I don't think it's up for much more than a fire road. The power is very liner witch igreatat for touring but not so great for being hooligan.

IMO Husky 630/610, KTM 690, LC4 or plated XR650R are all good bikes if you have to have just one bike to do it all.
  17. jamin_mathis

jamin_mathis Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:lol3:cry This is so going on my face book page!
  18. browneye

Oddometer:
    Well said. And you were being so kind.

Fudgypup is riding a GS already. My comment 'are you kidding' was based on that fact. He already has a road-going big bike, surely doesn't need another one.

If he really likes those gnarly double track roads and some single track thrown in here and there, then yes, he needs to look at something more oriented to that. I concure on your good alternate suggestions.

Personally I think that sertao bimmer thing is a pig. But then I doubt I would ever own a bmw, I'm too cheap. :D
  19. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:

lol, you do own a bmw :deal
  20. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:
    :huh :rofl