el groucho tour baja 2012

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by alphajory, Mar 4, 2012.

1. alphajory

alphajory Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As the winter wears on its time to leave the northern reaches and head south for some warm weather riding. A couple of the crew have invested in a big blue bus that capable carrying 8 motorcycles and 8 over aged riders. This years ride starts at San Felipe and crisis crosses down the baja for the 10 days and 2400km of roads and single track. Bikes loaded its time to headsouth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A 36 hour nonstop drive to the warm weather of the Baja Mexico, all the frozen burritos one can eat mixed with a few cervesa's and we are ready to head out

But first we have to make it there. In the middle of no where California the bus develops a slight tire problem. A flat tire on a bus is far more of a pain that that on the bike. So the time has come for new rubber on the rear of the bus. A couple of hours later we are underway again this time with new rubber and no speed limit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So after the slight delay and a brief stop in Calexico we cross the border into Mexico and head on south to San Felipe.

[​IMG]
  2. #1Fan

#1Fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have to be over-aged to get on this bus?:lol3
  3. alphajory

Oddometer:
    nope you don't have to be over age but it helps
  4. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I could fit in here?
  5. alphajory

Oddometer:
    Day one starts at Kiki's in San Felipe though laguna Diablo, san Matias stop at mike sky ranch for a cerveza and ending up in on the pacific coast in Vincente Guerrero for the evening an easy day ride to start.

Life can be tough for the wildlife in the desert we can across this decorated beast that long since needed a drink

[​IMG]

Then there is always the military check point out in the middle of the lake bed. Not sure what they though they would find but they took a look through the bags but were fascinated with the gps on the bikes. i think it more of a diversion from the regular patrols and breaks up the boredom.

[​IMG]

A short ride later its time of a quick stop at Mikes Sky ranch for a quick refreshment and then were off

[​IMG]

From Mikes it's off over the freshly graded road to the next turn a few km down the rode

[​IMG]

through the old oak forest then

[​IMG]

locked gates???? it seems that a gringo bought the land and has now blocked the road off to all motor vehicles. After riding several km's down the rode there were the gates but the locals have made tracks around them so we continued down the road. but it seems that as the free access that once existed in the baja is slowly disappearing. after speaking to the land own we headed off further down the road only to be faced with another locked gate...;;;

[​IMG]

bit of a water crossing then is back up to the higher plateaus

[​IMG]

but there are still some great vista that can be had

[​IMG]
  6. CAGE FREE

CAGE FREE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Randall.

Looks like a cool place to ride. Ride safe.
    Try the shrimp tacos they rule.

I was in San Felipe in 96 for the baja 1000. Lots of cool land scape.

Matt
  7. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We saw your blue bus at Kiki's when we were down there a few weeks ago.
    Nice set up!

:lurk
  8. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    Looking good, more please. :lurk
  9. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this one Randall. :freaky Sorry I missed you guys by about a week. I took the 990 on the Puertecitos to Catavina single track. :loco Let's just say that it wasnt such a good idea. :lol3
  10. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    The gates are there it confound the drug couriers in their trucks but they are not there to stop the gringos on there motorbikes.
  11. cactusreid

cactusreid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well, as i was/am a participant to this ride i'm looking forward to alphajory's recounting of this very fun tale! damn, now i'll have to try and figure out how to load photos to this forum??
  12. BajaJim

BajaJim Dirt Research

Oddometer:
    TallRob,

Over the past 30 years, I have seen more and more fences and gates going up in Baja. Mainly northern Baja.

I hope you are correct in what you say about the gates mainly being there to obstruct drug runners in their trucks.

Any more info or details on that?

Jim
  13. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  14. Haywood

Haywood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chula Vista,CA (spittin' distance from Baja)
    The BBW rides again. (Big Blue Wonder):lol3
    Looking forward to this one.
  15. alphajory

Oddometer:
    now that would really be a hand full. it would have been great to catch up with you once again. you still thinking of a ar ride to work this summer?
  16. alphajory

Oddometer:
    hmm where was i in the story .....

some of the group were a bit delayed getting to the hotel as Doc was the first to fall victim of a front pinch flat. But everyone arrived in one piece in Vicente Guerrero to the Motel Sanchez. Approx 234 Km for the day – all double track. Day one over it was time to get ready to ride day 2 make sure that everything was strapped down good and tight. The giant loop bags held up well easy to put on and take off.

[​IMG]

then off to breakfast

[​IMG]

most of the group stopped to have a great breakfast before heading out in the morning, while El Mur and i headed off to break trail per-say once again. but we didin't do a very good job as the rest of the group got lost leaving the town and ended up trying to pick strawberry's

[​IMG]

bit of a regroup before the group heads off once again this time no stopping to pick the fruit

[​IMG]

then it was off once again up out of the valley and back into the mountains. But after a little while Reid decided to take a nap at the side of the trail. Ya know riding a bike with a tank the size of a super tanked takes a lot of work.

[​IMG]

then it was off once again more great dual track riding through the high mountains [​IMG]

it was a great ride to El Rosario but what is the new rattle that i keep hearing .... loose wire , steering head bolt can't seem to find what the problem is until the next morning. but first a good meal recognize the place?

[​IMG]

after a few antics after dinner and drinks

[​IMG]

the end of day 2 approx 183 Km for the day – all double track.

i wake up to look for the rattle once again to find a leaking fork not a seal but through the top??? then the discovery a broken triple clamp, only 400 km from the bus :eek1:eek1:eek1:eek1:eek1

[​IMG]
  17. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Super!

:clap
  18. =[BAD]=TEX

=[BAD]=TEX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in!:lurk
  19. HH

HH Dahlonega GA Supporter